Cold Feet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DarDar

Sep 27, 2006
Ireland
Isn't there an army trick of washing your feet in cold water drying them and then getting into the bag? Meant to get your feet really warm......sounds like it sucks to me!
Meant to work though D

Just to add further confirmation that it works......i've also used the same trick at home the odd time!!

Billy Connolly did the whole snow bath thing when he was in the north pole. Though i think he just wanted to leg it about the place in the buff on camera. Bless him.

Also, there's nothing wrong with mindless drivel, Shewie. In fact, i feel Britain would not be what it is today without mindless drivel.

micah

Oct 30, 2006
london
Thanks for all your replies. There's certainly a few things to try out there.

I can just imagine the situation.... "Honey, would you like to come camping with me?", "Why do you suddenly want me to come camping in the middle of winter?" the wife replies, " So I can use you as a feet warmer!!"

or
"Honey, I've changed my mind, I would love to have kids now", "why the change of mind?", "so I can shove them down the bottom of my sleeping bag to keep my feet warm!" :D

The down socks sound like a good idea as does heating the rocks/platypus/nato bottle. Wearing a hat doesn't seem to help but it might well be a problem with my sleeping bag. So many things to try...
Thanks again.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Do you suffer from cold extremities anyway Micah or is it just when your kipping out ??

If it`s something you have problems with anyway have a look at ginkgo biloba tablets, they improve circulation and sort out cold hands and feet in no time.

Rich

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I've heard of the washing your feet in cold water then drying and putting on nice clean and warm socks, however this sounds just like the thing we used to do before going swimming. We'd take a cold shower then the water would feel warmer. Now the main thing there is the water wasn't warmer, it only felt warmer something to do with temperature differential. I would imagine it's the same thing with this technique. If your feet are cold but clean, putting them into nice warm socks and warming them by a fire or something will certainly make you think they are warmer than before. This is all fine and dandy for the most part, but I can't help think that this may be dangerous to try if you are really cold, I mean you're not really getting more benefit out of it other than psycological so reducing the amount of heat in your body first could be unwise? I'm no expert and would love to hear what folks think about this.

Nagual

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Have to agree with you there Nagual, doesn't make any sense to me otherwise, and therefore something to be cautious about if you have poor circulation - as opposed to just feeling cold!

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
I'd go with the hot water bottle - worked for me last week ( -20 in a -10 bag ?? what's that all about ? :eek: )

I was carrying a Nalgene bottle anyway, so filling it with hot (not boiling) water and shoving it into the bottom of my bag just before bedtime was the only way to stop my toes from freezing... (and i tried various combinations of loose socks / lots of socks / wooly jacket round the outside of the bag, etc.)

and it also means you've got water in the morning for a brew when everything else in the camp is frozen solid ! ;)

ForestNH/VT

Sep 6, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
It is an old New England Yankee trick to put a freshly baked potato down by your feet. In the morning you can fry it up for breakfast. Ash baked spuds are easy and work quite well both for foot warmers and for breakfast :D

lottie.lou

Forager
Oct 9, 2007
Preston
I suffer from cold extremities and for me at least no amount of wrapping them will recover them. Don't quote me but I think for people with poor circulation once the extremity gets cold the blood vassals contract which means reduced blood flow causing it to get even colder. Then its just a vicious circle until your feet fall off (or at least thats how it feels to me).

I find going for a walk before bed helps.
Ginkgo as already suggested should be good, I woudn't bother with tablet form though a lot of the active ingredients are taken out of them. You can buy it in juice or a tincture which is the herb dissolved in alcohol (sadly not enough to get you drunk).
A warm footbath in mustard powder is really nice.
Then theres chilli pepper (externally or internally) but that may be considered a last resort depending on your constitution.

Templar

Forager
Mar 14, 2006
Can Tho, Vietnam (Australian)
Hi all,

Just a quick note on the washing with cold water before you jump in your bag for the night...

What happens is as your feet are put into the cold water the blood vessels contract and limit the amount of blood flowing into them, as you dry your feet and rub them the blood vessels expand again and the flow of blood is what causes the feeling of heat return, also because the water is generally colder that the surrounding air temp your feet will feel warmer because of the temp difference…

The associated feeling of throbbing and vibration the goes along with this is actually the blood flow returning to your feet… it is part of your bodies natural defence against cold injury and works because the rest of your body is still warm and your feet or hands aren’t, so “hot” blood is being pumped into these cold parts of your body to maintain overall body temp…

Cheers,

Karl

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Ginkgo as already suggested should be good, I woudn't bother with tablet form though a lot of the active ingredients are taken out of them. You can buy it in juice or a tincture which is the herb dissolved in alcohol (sadly not enough to get you drunk).

Where fo you buy this other form of ginkgo from Lottie ??

SWMBO has cold extremities and goes through quite a lot of tablets, especially at this tie of year.

Rich

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
I've heard of the washing your feet in cold water then drying and putting on nice clean and warm socks,

I do every time I'm camping if I have the chance. Our usual camping spot sits near a stream, so a brew while sitting on a rock with feet in the cold water is the usual routine. Dry them off, get straight into sleeping bag and my feet are like two hot water bottles (filled with hot water).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE