Cold (and wet) case - warning - dead things

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Saw a dead seal today...couldn't get too close as it was in a marsh creek bed. I guess it could have floated in on the tide - I don't know this spot, but the creeks don't get very deep normally. Its around a large bird reserve so I suspect it hasn't been there long. I can't think of many natural predators (or see much sign of attack)...so ..how?

Dead Seal by British Red, on Flickr

Dead Seal side by British Red, on Flickr

Dead Seal Front by British Red, on Flickr

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Could be - there are seals around here in smallish groups. I'm no seal expert but it looks like a young one to me?

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Could have been lost by it's mum, are you near Donna nook? seem to remember a news story about walkers disturbing the colony, mum and pup get separated and are not that good at locating each other, so the pup starves and dies. could be a cause?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Dead seals float really well because of the blubber. They get washed up all around the coast and as you say Red, it's a young one. And the mortality rate is high this time of year.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not that close to Donna Nook southey but I guess something similar happened here. Shame - its nice to have seals around. Still - thats nature for you

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Not that close to Donna Nook southey but I guess something similar happened here. Shame - its nice to have seals around. Still - thats nature for you

I bet it is being recycled right now and will certainly prolong many other creatures lives. They don't half honk if they've been floating for a while.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
True. There is a tern and gull colony within a few hundred yards....it'll be consumed right enough. Some hen harriers there too. Would be nice to think it might let them manage an extra clutch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE