coffee scoop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
One of my pet peeves is that most coffee scoops are too short and when the bag starts getting half empty, it's hard to scoop out the beans. So a nice little project is to make my own coffee scoop. This one is from mahogany.

coffeescoop1b.jpg

coffeescoop2b.jpg

coffeescoop3b.jpg

soup_monger

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 30, 2005
EDINBURGH AND PERTH
Very nice hoodoo, I know what you mean about the stubby wee plastic scoops.
If you ever have too many of your custom scoops and want to sell one, let me know.
Necessity is the Mother of invention eh? :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Basically, I started by drilling the bowl with a Forstner bit. I think I used a 1" bit on this one. Then I used the bandsaw at work to cut out the basic shape.

Then I enlarged the hole with the my new spoon knives and also used some small flexcut gouges to nibble around in there. I used a Warren carving knife to carve the handle and round the base of the bowl. I sanded it down to remove the carving divets on the bowl and used a wood block to sand the flats on the handle. Once I got everything sanded smooth, I used scrapers to scrape it to a final finish. Put a coat of mineral oil on it and done.

Got a chunk of walnut here that may have the makin's for another. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE