Cody Lundin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
No Any peice of wood thrown right will do the job. Obviously a certain size and weight helps but as mentioned in the artical a Boomarang is just a version of throwing stick that comes back because it's used in a land were wood is at a premium(you lose your stick you go hunger)

Great articule by the way looks like a lot of fun

My thoughts.
James

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
Interesting, but since I have hiked the area and live not far, I am biased. I see a lot of desert schools are useing Verde and Sycamore canyons as their play grounds. Personally I prefer it in the winter months. Monsoon is not the best time to around the river. Just last month a wall of water 13 ft high came down the canyon after a hard rain. The extremes of tempeture of night and day are more challenging. Some areas south of where they were is heavily polluted from old mines. But it is a wonderful way of leaving civilization behind quickly. Rabbit sticks are pretty much something of choice. The Navajo's have a sport where they chase jackrabbits on horse back at break neck speeds across broken country and kill them with their rabbit sticks.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
It looks like an untraditional, but interesting course. But on most of the pics it's the instructor that do the things?? :?: I hope they're going to do it after him. :wink:

leon-1

There is a thing called EDIP, it stands for

Explanation,
Imitation,
Demonstration,
Practice.

It is easier to use a person that is practiced in a teqhnique, than to use a learner, as a result it is sometimes preferable to get pictures of instructors doing something than it is to get someone who is learning, so you end up with pictures of instructors teaching, this is not always the case, but you will see it.

This does not mean that you learn anything less from the course, it just means that it is more reliable to watch an instructor than a student because of the amount of practice they have had (that is from a photographers point of view) :wink:

I forgot to mention this first time around, but it also shows that the instuctors can do what they preach :).

leon-1

boaty said:
Did we all spot the deliberate mistake?! (Can't imitate something that hasn't been demonstrated!!)

yep my fault, mind working overtime

Expalnation,
Demonstration,
Imitation,
Practice.

A little tired, I work nights and am currently having problems sleeping, so please excuse my mistake as this is way past my bedtime :eek:):

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
leon-1 said:
There is a thing called EDIP, it stands for

Explanation,
Imitation,
Demonstration,
Practice.

It is easier to use a person that is practiced in a teqhnique, than to use a learner, as a result it is sometimes preferable to get pictures of instructors doing something than it is to get someone who is learning, so you end up with pictures of instructors teaching, this is not always the case, but you will see it.

This does not mean that you learn anything less from the course, it just means that it is more reliable to watch an instructor than a student because of the amount of practice they have had (that is from a photographers point of view) :wink:

I forgot to mention this first time around, but it also shows that the instuctors can do what they preach :).
Now I see. :biggthump :wink: Makes sence. My Scout-encyklopedia (i'm not a scout, never been) has a hole page with instruction technique: 1. Tell the students what's about to be explained. 2. Tell them how you're gonna explain it to them. 3. Explain it. 4. Give a summary of the explanation.
This is based on theory learning. Practice is a different thing.

leon-1

TheViking said:
Now I see. :biggthump :wink: Makes sence. My Scout-encyklopedia (i'm not a scout, never been) has a hole page with instruction technique: 1. Tell the students what's about to be explained. 2. Tell them how you're gonna explain it to them. 3. Explain it. 4. Give a summary of the explanation.
This is based on theory learning. Practice is a different thing.

Yep, I do apologise for my previous mistake, but this is the basis for all instruction for people of various talents/skills/Knowledge. With this all can learn and to a degree teach, obviously depending on thier experience and knowledge.

Beware (not the darkside), as an instrucor teach only that which is certified or less than you know. Guessing or worse could get you into a lot of trouble :nono: .

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
leon-1 said:
Yep, I do apologise for my previous mistake, but this is the basis for all instruction for people of various talents/skills/Knowledge. With this all can learn and to a degree teach, obviously depending on thier experience and knowledge.
Didn't mean to pick on you mate, but this is such a powerful principle that it's worth pointing out the right order!

I use it with a range of ages from toddlers through to PhD students (guess which has the most common sense!) and a range of activities - it works!!!

leon-1

boaty said:
Didn't mean to pick on you mate, but this is such a powerful principle that it's worth pointing out the right order!

I use it with a range of ages from toddlers through to PhD students (guess which has the most common sense!) and a range of activities - it works!!!

My apologies (again), I thought that I had put this one in on the last post (must be going mad);

Explanation
Demonstration
Imitation
Practice

my fault entirely :wave:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
If you haven't read Cody Lundin's book, you're missing a good read. It's called 98.6 Degrees, The Art of Keeping Your bottom Alive. Lots of good practical advise that is not often found in other survival manual. It's not really a bushcraft how to book but focuses on psychological aspects of survival as well as practical advise for surviving some of the most common survival situations.

Those little acronyms drive me nuts. Seems like every survival manual has one kind or another. I could spend hours trying to remember them... :shock: :rolmao:

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
leon-1 said:
Now this time I know I have got it right :eek:):
I blame it on your teaching ( damned wide boys, chunkies and guys from troop!)
E-D-I-P-T
Explanatio
Imitation
Demonstration
Practice
TEST :yikes:

Leon is quite correct, you always use someone who is well drilled in the skill for demos, by doing this you are showing how it should be done properly (live demo - no video edits) and as for the instructor....KNOW YOUR STUFF...DON'T BLUFF, you would be suprised how many do, I have witnessed two instructors do just this in the last three months (one with potentially lethal results).
Neil

Hoodoo said:
If you haven't read Cody Lundin's book, you're missing a good read. It's called 98.6 Degrees, The Art of Keeping Your bottom Alive. Lots of good practical advise that is not often found in other survival manual. It's not really a bushcraft how to book but focuses on psychological aspects of survival as well as practical advise for surviving some of the most common survival situations.

Those little acronyms drive me nuts. Seems like every survival manual has one kind or another. I could spend hours trying to remember them... :shock: :rolmao:

That book is worth every sheckle!! :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE