Coastal brew up(and bivi site recce)

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I went for a walk around the rocks near Pettico wick, with the intention of finding a couple of bivi locations to try out, but first things first, once there it was time for a brew.

chickenpicks008.jpg

and here's my view whilst waiting for the kettle to boil!
chickenpicks009.jpg

Gone was the calm clear waters of 2 weeks ago, instead it was choppy and cloudly!

chickenpicks014.jpg

chickenpicks022.jpg

bivi spot 1 found this is about 3/4 the way down the cliff and is nice and flat surrounded on three sides by rock and would be enough for about 3 people to bivi out.Theres also a nice sheltered cooking area just round the corner( a hollow in the rocks to sit and cook in)

chickenpicks011.jpg

I wonder how long this has left to stand!

chickenpicks016.jpg

Bivi spot 2 half way down the path to pettico wick bay just over to the left (ive seen this area being used as a camp spot not as out of the way as the other place but has a nice view out to sea and of the little bay,
chickenpicks055.jpg

Pettico wick bay and jetty.

chickenpicks054.jpg

This is the end of the jetty where i get in to snorkel from, in good conditions of course!
chickenpicks052.jpg

Bivi spot 3 i think this is where Wayland took his pic on his recent trip up here.You can just make out Bass rock at North Berwick in the Distance its about 30 odd miles from here on the horizon out to sea.

chickenpicks056.jpg

I think im going to try out the first location as its not visible from the cliffs and you need to walk round the base of the cliffs and do a short climb to get to it.Hopefully will be out for this in next couple of weeks.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Wayland its always bloomin windy round here, the area for the 1st bivi location is kinda under the cliffs of the last location if you get my drift, its sheltered and still has good views, just round the corner of bivi spot, Cheers Simon, theres loads of nice spots round here its having the time to find them all and use them all thats the problem!
This was taken looking left from round the cornet of first location on my Puny camera,
also got watched by the local youth!

chickenpicks023.jpg

chickenpicks045.jpg

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Mistwalker, its about 40ft high at a guess. this is from another angle.

chickenpicks036-1.jpg

alot of the rocks here are eroded underneath by the sea,theres lots of tunnels underneath

chickenpicks028.jpg

and you need to be carefull as some lead directly out to sea.

chickenpicks020.jpg

deenewcastle

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2009
Newcastle upon Tyne
Have just found this thread Andy. I have a piccie of Cath stood where Weyland is standing in his shot, but somehow it looks a little different in the day time, and without that fab pyramid stood there. Hell of a drop off though if you're prone to sleep walking :togo:

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Beautiful Andy

I love the sea. I feel totally happy and relaxed when I'm at a remote spot on the coast......so much to see and do. Who needs a TV? The most wonderful show on earth.
I was down in Dorset at the weekend. I ate sea lettuce and dulce and it was a new moon so big tides. I collected some limpets mussels and winkles, and caught 2 mackerel and 4 garfish and had a fish supper. Fantastic.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Just noticed this thread brought back to life,cheers for the recent comments, ive got a group of guys coming up from Manchester (Brothers work mates) to do a spot of beach camping in the area, plus im going to get a overnighter myself round Pettico wick on Friday.

Andy, that looks a great spot. Your very lucky to have that close by. Looks good for pollock fishing and maybe cod/mackies?

If I had a spot like that I'de be tempted to make a turf/rock bothy in a hidden spot. I'd be soooo tempted to do that and have a stove inside for winter!

Cheers for sharing the pics.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Stoo they're off to lumsdaine, they have the intention of building a shelter down there, and fishing for there food, im only going as far as the farm with them, as ive got them permission to park where we did, then im back home and off out myself Friday to above location.

Woodsmoke, thats a good idea(wish id thought of it) the raw materials are all around the area, rocks,turf,drift wood, and yes there are pollack and mackeral.

Aye, get yourself a couple of IPK's, 2 for a fiver in some places, I'm sure the drainage is good on a slope like that so if you can't dyke your walls, just a shallow trench a couple of feet deep (put gravel in the base to soak any moisture away so you are not lying in any dampness), then use turf for the walls, and then two ipks over wood for the roof, turf the roof and it will then be invisiblle. You should get ten years out of it before the roof collapses if it's strong wood you are using. i built one when i was a young nipper with my father and it lasted about 10-12 years before needing a new roof, today the roof is long gone but the structure still survives and could well be reroofed again.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Just got back from a walk to Lumsdaine shore,to see how the guys staying there this week are getting on, must say im impressed with there living off the land, whilst i was there they where collecting seaweed and blackberries,and they had some fish they'd caught, and where hoping to get either a lobster or some crab,although they didnt turn down some peanuts and Mod,biscuits fruit i offered them, gonna see them again sunday see how theyre doing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE