Clothes for Edmonton/Canada in march

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Off to visit a friend in Edmonton in march and i think it might be cold. bearing in mind i come from London lol.
This won't be a bushcraft outing so it will be more general lifestyle type clothing.

Can anyone advise me on how cold it normally gets around that time of year and what the locals wear during their day to day lives?

I've looked at Canada Goose clothing and as wonderful as it looks it's simply out of my price range.

I'm guessing i'll be looking at anywhere between -10 to -40 and i won't be hanging around too long in the -40's! the person i'm visiting was pretty vague about what she wears in the winter but i get the gist of a michelin man type outfit or generally wearing most of her clothes at once.

I was thinking a good thermal undies layer, thin fleecy mid layer and perhaps a decentish parker? I already have fleece lined craghopper trousers that i guess will be fine with long johns or am i being naive?

I know there isn't a lot to look at apart from the mall lol but we will be going to calgary etc sightseeing i guess.

Any recommendations on mid range gear?

Thanks
Ian

ardri

Dec 31, 2006
Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
hi bilko
i'm writing from vancouver island but have spent some time in edmonton. last year's mean temp for march was-4.1. normally march is not a bad month but always be prepared this year may be different. just remember the old saying if your cold put a hat and scarf on wear good gloves and boots and enjoy it. hope this helps a little, welcome to canada.
regards
ardri

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Depending how the exchange rate is... I would check out the Mountain Equipment Coop while you're there too.

Cheers,
Steve

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
Here in the mountains of Colorado we deal with some pretty nasty cold also, especially at night. Thankfully, we don't get those miserable extremes that they get in the northern parts of Canada. But I'd like to recommend what many of us use successfully: Layering.

Consider the four layer plan:

1.) polypropylene , silk or wool long sleeve undershirt (to absorb perspiration and keep it off your skin where it could cause a chill and lead to hypothermia,

2.) then a micro fleece shirt on top of that

3.) followed by a polar fleece or wool sweater/jacket with a integral windstopper liner

4.) topped off with a goretex or ventile storm jacket to break the wind and contain your warmth.

I'd add one more layer though considering your circumstances: a down vest if you can afford one.

Also, buy some of those "kidney" warmers (or standard hand warmers will do in a pinch) preferably that have self adhesive that you can apply under your clothes. You can put standard hand warmers in the interior pockets of the storm jacket (2 usually works the best when it's the coldest, preferably on each side of your body).

Here in the states you can get a very nice North Face down vest for $100-150. Get one if you can and wear it between the fleece/wool sweater and the goretex storm/ventile jacket.

Regulate your warmth by removing or adding these layers as needed (don't forget that activity can add as much as 15 degrees to your warmth). And don't forget to keep your head, neck, hands, and feet warm also as they are your bodies thermal regulators (when they're cold, the rest of you is cold also).

Have a nice trip.

Be safe.

NJ

bilko

Settler
May 16, 2005
SE london
Thanks for the excellent responses:You_Rock_
I've just spent ages researching Guernsey woolen fisherman's jumpers and the old white submariners jumpers to remember that i am allergic to lanolin. In the army i had a constant cyst on my neck because of the wool. Except for when i wore the old Norwegian ( norgie)

Come to think of it she did say something about mountain company too.

Slightly off topic i was watching that louis theroux weird weekends when he goes to southern America. there are some guys building a barn in the snow and i just saw the excellent padded overalls in the Cabelas bargain basement.

Right, i don't think i need anything expensive and seeing as it won't reach much past -5 where i live in the next 20 years i think the layer system is the best one. that way i won't be spending money on a coat that i will not wear.

Gloves, i was thinking a normal pair of wooly ones with some surplus gortex type mitts that fold back to show your fingers.

Hat, well i think a beany with a hood will do and a scarf.

Thinking about it i might be blowing it all out of proportion unless the entire community of Edmonton has an account with Canada Goose:D

The only thing that i am stuck on is footwear.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Off to visit a friend in Edmonton in march and i think it might be cold. bearing in mind i come from London lol.
This won't be a bushcraft outing so it will be more general lifestyle type clothing.

Can anyone advise me on how cold it normally gets around that time of year and what the locals wear during their day to day lives?

I've looked at Canada Goose clothing and as wonderful as it looks it's simply out of my price range.

I'm guessing i'll be looking at anywhere between -10 to -40 and i won't be hanging around too long in the -40's! the person i'm visiting was pretty vague about what she wears in the winter but i get the gist of a michelin man type outfit or generally wearing most of her clothes at once.

I was thinking a good thermal undies layer, thin fleecy mid layer and perhaps a decentish parker? I already have fleece lined craghopper trousers that i guess will be fine with long johns or am i being naive?

I know there isn't a lot to look at apart from the mall lol but we will be going to calgary etc sightseeing i guess.

Any recommendations on mid range gear?

Thanks
Ian

Have you asked what your friend wears? He or she may well have the best information for you I would have thought.

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
Thanks for the excellent responses:You_Rock_
I've just spent ages researching Guernsey woolen fisherman's jumpers and the old white submariners jumpers to remember that i am allergic to lanolin. In the army i had a constant cyst on my neck because of the wool. Except for when i wore the old Norwegian ( norgie)

Come to think of it she did say something about mountain company too.

Slightly off topic i was watching that louis theroux weird weekends when he goes to southern America. there are some guys building a barn in the snow and i just saw the excellent padded overalls in the Cabelas bargain basement.

Right, i don't think i need anything expensive and seeing as it won't reach much past -5 where i live in the next 20 years i think the layer system is the best one. that way i won't be spending money on a coat that i will not wear.

Gloves, i was thinking a normal pair of wooly ones with some surplus gortex type mitts that fold back to show your fingers.

Hat, well i think a beany with a hood will do and a scarf.

Thinking about it i might be blowing it all out of proportion unless the entire community of Edmonton has an account with Canada Goose:D

The only thing that i am stuck on is footwear.

Pick up an inexpensive pair of Pac boots (Sorel, etc.) thats what they wear ... LOL

NJ

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Depending how the exchange rate is... I would check out the Mountain Equipment Coop while you're there too.

Cheers,
Steve

Yep...Better prices than here usually. Take some warm stuff but nothing "extreme" Hat gloves etc. Shopping in downtown Edmonton is a breeze too, all the malls etc are connected by walkways and tunnels so you never have to step outside

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can

Cheers,
Steve

Steve beat me to it. Campers village and Wholesale sports are the other 2 stores that vacuum the spare cash from my wallet ( wholesale is great for hunting/ fishing/camping gear and so it gets most of my money!!! ). Not sure what the weather is like in London/march but I have relatives in the Bahama's, and they always freeze when it's -4 c ( we don't even zip up our jackets! ) I am assuming London is closer to our avg. temp. though!
A fleece/ wool and a wind proof shell is about all you will need ( It doesn't get too cold in the West Edmonton mall lol) . It is usually windy in the spring in these parts.
Any Questions will be happily answered to the best of my ability!
P.S Bring a parka and boots if you plan on Ice fishing. You can find me on Gull Lake chasing Pike/perch/ and Whitefish on the hard water in March on the weekends. there are some good potholes that you can fish for Trout/Perch within a 20 min drive from Edmonton too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE