Cloaky type thing...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
The wilderness outfitters chappy also does a video on how to make a blanket pin. I actually had a go - first time ever at metal work - and whilst it wasn't perfect it works and I am really proud of it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nfg1XXKdVn0&feature=channel_page

I keep it pinned to my woolly hat - under the 'flap'.

If you want to make it around the house and don't want to light a 'normal' fire you might try a disposable bbq

His other videos are also pretty good

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have a wool blanket for that.

Its more versatile than those ditzy robes the Sith seem to prefer.

<Exeunt Tengu pursued by a wild Bantha...>

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
I must admit that I had mentioned something along these lines to Stooboy one particular chilly night sitting around the fire - I think that they are a great solution and very versatile and whilst I dont give a monkeys what people think I want one for the cold night times in camp.
I might have a go at making one now I have bargain sewing machine that stoo picked up for me, just need to work out a pattern and get some old issue blankets.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Why not go the whole hog; The Slanket

castlerock_MED.jpg

:lmao:

Please tell me that this pic is a perspective joke; otherwise I'm going to lose faith in human anatomy.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Why not make yourself a capote like the canadian voyagers used to use dead simple very practical and with a little credibility & history behind it. patterns are easy to find on the net & neednt require a purchase. Best stuff is an ex navy submarine blanket fron a surplus supplier - dig around.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I had a Kifaru Woobie for a while. Alas it got nicked. Wonderful bit of kit. Big plus is the light weight / stuff size / warmth. Good wool blankets are great but they are pretty heavy. There is also the Jerven Bag that a lot of people rave about. See review by our very own Stuart :) No experience myself but look good.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
The wilderness outfitters chappy also does a video on how to make a blanket pin. I actually had a go - first time ever at metal work - and whilst it wasn't perfect it works and I am really proud of it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nfg1XXKdVn0&feature=channel_page

I keep it pinned to my woolly hat - under the 'flap'.

If you want to make it around the house and don't want to light a 'normal' fire you might try a disposable bbq

His other videos are also pretty good

Echo? (see further down..)

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
lol, i would expect a cape would get rather annoying whne climbing though bushes, get thorns ripping at it etc...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The Birrus can be wrapped and belted very successfully, and then it's just like a jacket. The advantage is that if you want your arms and hands free you just throw the fronts over your shoulders.

cheers,
Toddy

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
I am a larper......feel free the heckle :)

I've made several cloaks and robes both for myself and by way of trade-goods in a wide range of fabrics, ranging from cotton to light woollen to blanket to teflon coated poly-wool and they are all quite useful garments (even if I do look like a LotR reject :D )

LarpStore are one of the expensive suppliers, I could probably make something like any of the garments shown for much less

If you're interested PM me

If you're planning on doing your own my advice is
Shop around for fabric and make it as full as you can afford, narrow cloaks are a waste of time and money
Don't make it much longer then your knees, mid calf is really the maximum. Any longer and it becomes a trip hazard and you won't miss the extra length when you're sat down
Fastenings are important, minimum is one at the neck and one at belt hight (the last one could just be a belt or sommat)
Look into rain proofing

Lastly, who cares what you look like, question is are you warm and comfy ?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Personally I wouldn't pay too much attention to those who see Bushcraft as an exercise in fashion. Wool capes, cloaks and cape shouldered great coats have played a pretty major part in the best warm, dry and flexible garments for a couple of thousand years. I wore a British army greatcoat for many years and slept out in it frequently. It was heavy wool, spark proof, warm as hell etc. I bought it in army surplus for a few quid before anyone had heard of Swandri. I also used a "camp blanket" in a Clint Eastwood poncho style for a long time (basic blanket with a t shaped cutout in the centre). I have eyed up many a historical cape shouldered greatcoat and thought "add a deep hood and that would make a great coat for hacking through the woods".

Indeed one day I'll summon the courage to try to sketch what I want and see if Toddy fancies a commission.:D

Why not try something different - it sounds great to me!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE