Cloaky type thing...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shingsowa

Forager
Sep 27, 2007
Ruthin, North Wales
I've been after something cloak- or robe-like for a while, and somebody else recommended this place:

http://www.lrpstore.com/Cotton-long-robe/p--554/

or

http://www.lrpstore.com/Sci-fi-hooded-Warriors-Robe-POLYCOTTON-MIX/p--108/

or

http://www.lrpstore.com/Woolen-hooded-cloak-unlined/p--624/

Something to wear when sat around the fire, to lie on, as a small emergency poncho etc. I wonder if the polycotton one would accept Greenland wax?

Anyway, does anybody else have any suggestions? Cheaper or better fabric? I'm thinking of getting one, see how it performs then making one out of a more suitable fabric etc....

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Something to wear when sat around the fire, to lie on, as a small emergency poncho etc.

Why not use a poncho then? Two advantages with that: firstly, it's waterproof; and secondly, you won't look stupid.
Oh, and thirdly - it won't cost anywhere near as much!

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Seriously? You want to look like obi wan kenobi???? :confused:

Can't you just use a blanket? It gives warmth and spark-resistant, which polycotton isn't. And it has 101 more uses that a cloak hasn't.

Greenland wax is designed to be on fjällrävens G1000 fabric which is 65/35 polycotton.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have sat around campfires in cloakes. They make good blankets when you need one, but I wouldn't wear one for normal bushcraft because I would feel a bit of an edgit. Wool is by far the best material for camp fires as it is shower proof, ember proof and warm. There is fabric retailer in flintshire called abarkan fabric mills which does wool fabric very cheap. They have a branch in stoke (hanley) so they might have a branch near you. They sell other fabrics as well. Cloaks are very easy to make, and much cheaper to make rather than buy. Go for the strongest clasp/pin you can afford.

In my opinion cotton cloaks are a fire hazard around a fire.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I've been after something cloak- or robe-like for a while, and somebody else recommended this place:

http://www.lrpstore.com/Cotton-long-robe/p--554/

or

http://www.lrpstore.com/Sci-fi-hooded-Warriors-Robe-POLYCOTTON-MIX/p--108/

or

http://www.lrpstore.com/Woolen-hooded-cloak-unlined/p--624/

Something to wear when sat around the fire, to lie on, as a small emergency poncho etc. I wonder if the polycotton one would accept Greenland wax?

Anyway, does anybody else have any suggestions? Cheaper or better fabric? I'm thinking of getting one, see how it performs then making one out of a more suitable fabric etc....

Buy a large woollen blanket, roughly about 4 foot wide and 7 foot long (Dutch army ones are about £14) lay out flat. Cut out a semi circle from the blanket (from corner to corner along the longest edge) In the middle of the semi circle cut a hole big enough for your head (4 inches back from the middle longest edge,) then cut a v from the circle to the edge, joining the hole to the edge). From the scraps left over make a hood, and sew to the head sized circle. Hem all the cut seams and weight the bottom of the cloak edge with those little lead disk used on curtains. You now have thick woollen cloak, and the freedom to look to all the world like a lost and lonely larper.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I bought a cloak from these people recently.

http://ew-trading.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_46&products_id=138

With post I paid £21 for what is a cheap and cheerful wool cloak. Its nothing more than an army blanket cut to the correct shape with a hood sewn on. Its a bit rough and ready and nothing like as stylish as the cloak you've found but I reckoned that given that I'd only have the guts to wear it after dark on chilly camp evenings, I didn't need anything too costly.

It doesn't come with any kind of fastening so you have to work that out yourself.

I would recommend wool over cotton or polycotton as its warm, fire and water resistant and can double as a cosy blanket come bed time.

Shingsowa

Forager
Sep 27, 2007
Ruthin, North Wales
Thanks for the replies guys! Perhaps i should explain....

It's more for sitting by a fire in our fields, or when near the car, not for going out for longer trips etc, i agree i would look more than a little stupid. Having said that, wearing a Swannie and trying to wriggle into a Hennessy does look a bit daft too... :) To 'outsiders', most of the stuff we do looks unnecessary, daft and a bit 'fantasist'. Hey ho..

I agree £50 is a bit steep for what is a fancy blanket essentially! Which is why i was after a cheaper option. I've used a waxed drovers style coat for a few years for a similar purpose. It works well, but i would like something softer, warmer and without shiny metal bits to reflect light etc. Wool is my favourite, but a polycotton blend may be lighter and more abrasion resistant. But i fear this may descend into experimentation, several protoypes and 'pepsi can stove' levels of development...

East-West trading one looks good, but as treadlightly says, is an army blanket!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Cloaks with hoods are becoming more and more fashionable for campfire wear!
Hardly suprising realy as they are practical, warm, tough and cheap (if home made from a blanket)!
They are superior to the old Scouting "Camp Blanket" type wool poncho as they give head protection and yet still give you extra bedding and do not look so lame as the "Match Coat".
Of course big square cloaks are nothing but blankets realy:D
I am searching out cheap wool blankets in charity shops etc purely to use for making cloaks and wool overgarments for bushy wear - and I have never yet been into LARPing...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How about a Birrus Britannicus ?:D

The "Cloak of the Britons" that the Romans thought so highly of that it became an expensive export item to the Empire. :cool:

Pure wool, subtle colour, hooded, warm, showerproof, sparkproof and easily made.

Basically a length of wool long enough to go over your shoulders and reach almost to you knees back and front.

Find the centre and fold in half so that the fold will be over your shoulders.
Find the centre again and cut a shallow oval from it, aiming to be slightly deeper at the front than the back.

Either cut an opening down the front just enough to get your head through, or cut right down the front to make an open cloak.

Lay the cloak down, again folded in half.
Take a great big dinner plate and use that to make a curve at the bottom corners (a wee bit of dried soap works fine to draw on wool )
When you are happy with the curve cut it off. Mark and cut the other corners to match.

Result, one basic cloak.

If you want a hood, then you could make those curves a bit steeper and join them into two squares that will join to make a rectangle; or just buy an extra bit of cloth :)
It only takes about 30cm x 60 to make a basic hood.

I've got an oak leaf brooch to fasten mine with :cool: , there's another bit of wood work for folks to do, or I have a beautiful carved bone pin about 12cms long that Patrick made that I keep for period. Something else folks could make for themselves.

I do have the plans drawn out, but I'm a computer clutz and my technical reference manuals (HWMBLT and Son2 ) are kind of distracted just now with a failing cpu/ motherboard problem :confused: I'll nab them when they break for a cuppa and ask how to post.

atb,
Toddy

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
I've been wearing a blanket cloak for a while now. It's just an army blanket and a blanket pin. No cutting involved, so you still have a serviceable blanket for the night.

JimN

Forager
Feb 7, 2006
The Amber Valley
Why not go the whole hog; The Slanket

castlerock_MED.jpg

:lmao:

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
An old army poncho does work well - especially if you have the blanket liner snapped it. And try to get one of the old style heavy rubberize poncho's instead of the current thin nylon ones.

Wool cloaks. A blanket can work well - either as-is or cut/sewn/shaped. But one of the big drawbacks of a wool blanket is the loose/open weave. They allow too much wind/rain to pass through. So try to find some good wool CLOTH - like what they make the Naval Peacoat out of. That material is made of a much tighter/heavier weave than a blanket. It really will block out the wind and shed water.

Have fun with your quest.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE