cloaks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Don't get a traditional poncho though!
As reenactors we knew people who always sued them and could never understand why they though a waterproof with a hole in the middle would work better :D
A cloak would also double up as a blanket for sleeping and probably make an ok shelter. I also prefer tradtional gear most of the time as most things that used to work probably still do!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Okay, please excuse my poor photography and rough sketches, but this is as simple as patterns need to be. The Birrus Britannicus was famed throughout the Roman world simply because it was made from excellent material (wool, sometimes goats wool) and it just worked. The other oval pattern is a development of it that allows for wider cloth and a more shapely drape. ]
The fitted cloak is the standard one I make. It flares well, it looks good, it feels comfortable and it can be dressed up or down or made double-layered with little bother.

IMG_8206.jpg

IMG_8208.jpg

Cheers,
Toddy

p.s. thanks for the links folks
M

H

Heathenpeddler

I love that 2nd one Toddy - in the little pic where it shows the outer part of the cloak, is that made to the same pattern just shorter length? How do you attatch it to the main cloak? What about a hood? I might just have to get a new one made up like this (as well as a basic rectangular one for my heathen days :) )

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Use the same pattern but try to increase the width by a couple of cms at the 45o seams. The idea isn't to add much, just a shade. Generally I sew the collar onto the inside neck-edge of the undercloak, then sew the overcloak and hood. Now using a really strong linen thread, stitch through all the layers to attach the hood/neck edge of the outer to the inner and then slip stitch the collar over all the raw seams to leave everything sweet and tidy.
When you have the bits in your hands it'll all fall into place :cool:

Cheers,
Toddy

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
After Toddy's session at the Moot, I'm quite tempted to see about making up a Birrus Britannicus before next year but, if I remember correctly, I'm unlikely to be able to get the entire thing out of one blanket (given that I'm 5' 11" tall and therefore probably looking for something like 9' length of cloth to get a drop down to the knees?). One option would seem to be to try and get two matching blankets and put in a seam somewhere, but I wondered whether it were possible to buy a single length of blanket cloth and where I might get such a thing...

...and no doubt there will be more questions about dyes and lanolin replacement.

Thanks

Geoff

leealanr

Apr 17, 2006
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
I really like the idea of these.

As a young police Constable some 32 years ago! I worked at Sandringham House in Norfolk, protecting the Queen!

Life was very simple then, even though it was at the height of the troubles in Northern Ireland. We were equipped with radios that did not connect to the nearest police station & big torches on shoulder lanyards. No firearms, night vision aids or even side handled batons and CS spray! Just standard police uniform of the day, nylon blue shirts (yuk!) tunics, gannex coats (Look at pictures of Harold Wilson when he was Prime Minister) which were very waterproof, VERY long and bloody cold! As well as the best bit of kit ever, a heavy wool cape! Worked well in every type of weather, ideal when working as a guard, not so good when roughing it at a night club though!

I used to smoke those days and I can still remember the bliss of squatting down on my heels at the front door of Sandringham on a really frosty January night, with a cigarrette lit and held under the cape! I was toasty warm, it was like having my own personal central heating!

Really like some of the Half Moon stuff!

Alan L.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
There's a previous thread about cloaks. Mine is a modified US Navy poncho, as re-sewn by my wife. Lovely bit of kit. I'm about to go and use it again as it looks a bit showery out, and the cloak is much more versatile than a waterproof jacket for short trips in changeable weather, and I need to take the dog for a walk. No need to take a cloak on and off, just adjust it. Accompany with a Tilley hat, and it takes serious rain to get me wet.

It's a pleasure to wear. Would love a wool one though.

leealanr

Apr 17, 2006
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
I look forwards to it!

while looking at this thread, my wife, came in from sitting outside in 28 degrees (bugger it was hot at the Dead Sea today over 45 Degrees, we have a heat wave at the moment!) and I showed her this thread. She immediately went and got my Mothers (now dead) Cloak that she was gifted by her and we had a lovely talk about it. She used to use it quite a lot in UK, but while here, as we have such wonderfil and cheap tailors on tap, she is thinking of having it lined while we are here.

If she does I will post some pictures ( once I have remembered how to do it all again!).

Alan L.

leealanr

Apr 17, 2006
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
i like the red lining! Very Vampiric!

thanks for showing, looking forwards to the finished item.

I really like the idea of a cloak............. when we leave Jordan.

To bloody hot for one here, even in winter!

My staff have seen three snakes this week alone, right in the centre of Amman!

All active because of the heat!

Alan L.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Graham S has a Jordanian herders coat........a really thick felted wool cloak/coat that reaches to the ground. Apparantly the desert is freezing cold at night. Graham swears by it for sitting around the campfire in the damp, icy cold of a Scottish Winter night.

Drew's cloak is the three part one from the other thread. I had intended to make a bushcraft one, but he had his own ideas and I reckoned, why not ? :)

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE