Cloaks And Traditional Woods Garb

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

Bob Hurley

You're absolutely welcome, Toddy.

I've spent a bit of time in the woods wearing 18thC Native clothing and kit (post-contact, so I have metal goods), and if you ever do the same you'll hate your modern clothes. With a breechclout and leggings your hips are completely unrestricted so you can easily step over sticks, logs, etc. without binding. The leggings are gartered below the knees, so your pants legs don't drag across your kneecap if you have to make a big step up or over something. A big, long shirt (or two or three) allows great upper body movement, and the waist sash gives you a good place to tuck your knive and tomahawk. The matchcoat is worn in whatever manner suits your sense of style and purpose, and is good bedding for all but the coldest nights. A tumpline weighs next to nothing (mine is of fingerwoven hemp), so you lose the weight of a pack. Carry a small cloth sack to keep the rest of your kit gathered, roll it up in the matchcoat or blanket, tie with tumpline and your camp is ready to travel. It's a bivouac/siwash-weight kit with the comfort of a heavier rig.

The bear oil they used as a "body lotion" adds a layer of warmth (remember the Channel swimmers greasing themselves?), and stops all but the most persistent mosquitoes and gnats. You can add some red ochre powder to it to stop the really devious bitey-things, and it camoflages you nicely - besides, I live in Deliverance country, and even the weird ones give me a wide berth when I'm painted up. :wink:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like to travel very lightly when I'm out too. Probably why I like foraging. Really practical clothing is such a good thing. Sometimes we get too high-tech now. Our (relatively) hairless skins really appreciate being oiled, don't they? Hadn't thought of adding something to it like ochre.....it'd look a bit odd in a Scottish woodland....on the other hand, there's the woad :)
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE