Cloaks And Traditional Woods Garb

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
There are a number of simple patterns for cloaks for fancy-dres costume that actually work very well. Simplicity has one, I know, and there are LOADS on another pattern site whose name escapes me right now.

I'll look them up when I get home and post here. Cloaks are easy to make, but require a lot of fabric (5-6 yards usually for a normal adult). You can make them out of almost any fabric, depending on what funtion you want the cloak for. Warm ones - use wool, it's got some natural waterproofing, but if you want more then use a modern waterproofer as well.

Sources for wool fabric at not-too-expensive prices: Anne Laverick sells good wool from £6 - £8 per metre. I''l post more when I have the details.

(Yes, I'm another re-enacting / role-playing freak...) :)

jakunen

Native
No problem Mark.

I can't rememebr the name of the material but there is a woollen cloth, heavier than kilting material but not as heavy as tweed, that can be used for making clothing. Its' reasonably light, and quite waterproof on it own due to its thickness and the way its produced, bit like felt making from what I can remember.
I'll ask around the family and check my notes and chat to my lady in the haberdashers tomorrow and see if I can find the proper name for you. If she has some I might even make a baladrana for the Ashdown meet, just for a laugh...

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Looks like the Simplicity pattern is up in the loft or something, but I think it's 9067? Also Butterick 3084 is a good one. Use either a good big toggle/button & loop, or a decent clasp. If it's for heavy use, fix a good piece of lether to the cloak before attaching the fastening or it'll tear out of the cloth.

A great place for patterns of all kinds is Harper House - www.longago.com
They also do dolls' patterns, but look at the various Era's and international sections for all kinds of clothing used by people in the past and today. Check out the Colonial section for good bushcrafty type clothing as worn by the pioneers in the west...

Cloth: Anne Laverick is a good place to start:

Anne Laverick
Vale Head Farm
52 Pontefracts Road
Knottingly
West Yorkshire
WF11 8RA
UK
Telephone: 01977-677390

She sells cotton, linen & wools and is usually very helpful. You can also see her in person (and handle the fabric) at the re-enactors markets, held twice a year (next one in March).

Hope this helps... :)

(And I'm allowed to call myself a freak... ..so there...)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Two years ago I took a few months to walk a little over a thousand miles from the middle of France to the Atlantic coast of Spain, this is a section of one the European long distance footpaths, however it also follows one of the old pilgrim roads to Santiago and every church, cathedral, farmhouse lintel, public well along the route features carvings of the mediaeval pilgrims en-route.

The detail of these was often good enough to identify individual pieces of traveling equipment and clothing.

Quite sizable open frame rucksacks were common.

Blanket rolls worn over the shoulder, crossing the body and tied at the side were an alternative.

knives were large, worn openly, usually on the left side and where drawn (where the subjects were shown fighting vagabonds, bears etc.) were of a falchion type.

Very large wide brimmed hats of a ‘sou'wester’ style were very popular.

Cloaks where the detail was clear seemed to have arm holes and oversized hoods, beneath this a full length shirt or cassock type garment was evident.

Footwear varied but sandals were common, with or without socks.

Stout shoulder height walking staffs (occasionally a pair of staffs one in each hand) were always used, I had one of these for my walk and found it just as handy for beating off rabid farm dogs as it was for stopping me being blown off mountain tops.

I found this woodcut on the internet which is a good example of what I was seeing.

http://chass.colostate-pueblo.edu/history/seminar/fabri/pilgrim.gif

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
my favorite is my hudson bay capote. made from u.s. army blankets, I added a couple of changes, mine is ankle length with snaps to shorten it to just above knees. my woman just about has to hold me at gunpoint to get it off long enough to wash it. it is a super bit of kit and then some.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
sandbender said:
Two years ago I took a few months to walk a little over a thousand miles from the middle of France to the Atlantic coast of Spain, this is a section of one the European long distance footpaths, however it also follows one of the old pilgrim roads to Santiago and every church, cathedral, farmhouse lintel, public well along the route features carvings of the mediaeval pilgrims en-route.

You must have been one of those folk I avoided on the road In St Jean Pied-de-Port? My mum lived in the French Pyrenees for a few years.

I was astounded how many people would make the pilgrimage from lourdes to Santiago. Thankfully, never saw one as roadkill :shock: Which was a surprise when you see how the french drive on mountain roads !!!

Martin

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Kvitulf said:
*Wonders how the Nepaleese Monks/buddists manages mountaneering, only wearing their robe* :shock:

The robes they wear are pretty warm...just like Kilts the Scots wore in the highlands.

They also use meditation to control their body heat....neat trick if you can do it!!!! :eek:):

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Thanks all!
Sandbender..thanks for info on traditional garb from pics.
Jakunen, I often wondered about those cloaks but okay you cleared it up by explaining how they were boiled in oil/oversized to capture warmth/leather edge reinforcements and HEAVY! so they were warm enough to sleep in!
Monk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Linen underneath, wool over, is the rule; wool quite quickly becomes greasy from wear, but you can speed the showerproofing along by rinsing it in *loads* of fabric conditioner.

I make cloaks a lot, they look great if you use loads of fabric, but apart from posing or sitting around in they're a damned nuisance to work in and when they get soaked they grooooow. The Roman army one is probably the most efficient design; it's like a long hooded tabard split down the front and open at the sides, and you can fling it over your shoulders to clear your arms without losing the warmth....and it still looks cool! Cut the hem corners round and it doen't even trail when it's pouring down. It's hard to beat the jacket the native Canadians made from wool blankets though.

Incidentally, Goretex can be bought in Glasgow just now for £3 a metre......I got loads! :lol: Phone number for the shop is available....and they have ripstop too. Oh and Ikea are selling good linen fabric, called 'Ainu', in plain natural colours, for £3.50 a metre.
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello,
Didn't say it looked 'dirty', but have a *real* close look or give it a wash...it's astonishing what it picks up! It lasts so well though, and is always wearable, doesn't go on fire from a spark and even wet it's warm; just treat it right and keep it away from moths. If you boil up some bog myrtle and rinse the wool in the liquid it'll not only deter the moths but it'll deter midgies some too :wink:
Toddy

B

Bob Hurley

How about a matchcoat? They were very common during the colonization of America, even being an issue garment by the military. They may have been copied from the Native garment already in common use, or may have been a simple expedient. I carry one often, it serves as a blanket when camped and is great to wrap up in by the fire on cool nights.

Mine was made by Wilde Weavery at http://wildeweavery.com/ . If you'll click on the link marked "Blankets/Matchcoats" there are pictures along with a how-to-wear tutorial.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh what a link, thank you :)
The matchcoat looks like it is just a narrow version of a philabeag...the original kilt and cloak in one....women wear an arisaid the same way. It's a really practical garment. Mine has 5 yards of tartan in it and pleating it over my belt is a real pain. The boys just lie down on the ground and do it that way.
I'm going to pass that link on to some friends. Thanks again,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE