Cloaks And Traditional Woods Garb

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
From what I have seen in old books and movies folks in Europe are always depicted as wearing cloaks and some sort of hooded cowl akin to a monk's costume.
Any clues as to what folks back in olden times (or any time frame) wore in the outdoors as an outer garment? The only thing I can figure is that the cloaks must have been oversized to allow them to be wrapped around oneself to keep warm but I do not find any evidence about buttons? Every time you moved you were chilled down the front?
Monk

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Monk said:
From what I have seen in old books and movies folks in Europe are always depicted as wearing cloaks and some sort of hooded cowl akin to a monk's costume.
Any clues as to what folks back in olden times (or any time frame) wore in the outdoors as an outer garment? The only thing I can figure is that the cloaks must have been oversized to allow them to be wrapped around oneself to keep warm but I do not find any evidence about buttons? Every time you moved you were chilled down the front?
Monk
The sort of cloaks you mention were either fastened at the neck with a metal clasp or a horn "Button." Prior to that they were fastened with a pin or a penanular brooch. With just one fastening, it is easy to sling one edge other the other shoulder thus closing the gap.
They are astoundingly warm to wear, especially when sitting around a fire.

Martin

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Shinobi,
how oversized is yours? You mention the warmth..what material and roughly what length/width? Any other tricks to using one?
Monk

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
http://www.jas-townsend.com/product_info.php?cpath=8&products_id=220 A bit off from cloaks but a little more practical. Of all things, I found an older shoulder cape from a english constable's uniform. It was heavy melton wool with a silver RE2 button and fell just down past the shoulders. I wore that over a simple wool shirt while in the California Redwood Campaign supporting Julia Butterfly. It was incredibly warm and handy. I last saw it heading for the buffalo campaign in Montana on a pretty young activist.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Monk

Have a look at this place they don't seem to have cloaks but they do sell the pins which are copies of original styles which people used. The link is to the hoods they make which I think would have been worn with a simple blanket type cloak making a nice seal at the neck.

At £62 I think they are taking the mickey but they look simple to make. I was thinking of copying the design but I didn't know where to get material from. I even emailed them to see if they had a source for the cloth and I never got a reply (which I thought was a bit off but hey).

Bill

jakunen

Native
Those cloaks (or Balladrana as I've heard them called), were heavy woollen cloaks boiled in oil to waterproof them and were 'oversize' so that you could indeed wrap yourself up in them and sleep in them.

They often had a leather trim attached to the bottom to protect them from wearing out as they trailed along the ground.

We used them in the re-enactment group but any films you see of a guy swashing his buckle in them and trouncing the Sherrif of Rottingham's men whilst wearing one, the guy must have been on steroids. They weigh a damn ton!!! And don't even get me started on people swimming in them...

Army surplus blanket would give you a nice 'Elven' cloak. Aside from being REALLY itchy!

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
One of my stick-in-mind moments of last year was sitting on the grass on Selworthy Beacon on Exemoor in my cloak (you know the one, Jak), watching the sun set over the sea on the day of my parents Golden Wedding anniversary. I got some odd looks from the few other people there, but was warm and comfortable and away from the stiff breeze blowing that evening.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
There are loads of patterns to make jedi cloaks on the net.

Not sure what material to use though... a waterproof, lightwieght, 'woolen-type' I suppose. Do they exist? :?:

Cheers

Mark

jakunen

Native
What do you think us Celts have been using for centuries? :eek:):

Yes, you can get light weight btu fairly thick woollen cloths that are reasonably waterproof, but personally I'd back it up with sumat like SuperPel. Any good material seller should be able to advise.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Monk said:
Shinobi,
how oversized is yours? You mention the warmth..what material and roughly what length/width? Any other tricks to using one?
Monk
Hiya,

mine is made from a heavy weight wool, with the hood lined with silk for softness.
When I first thought about size, I was thinking of a rectangular panel 3ft x 6ft gathered around the neck. How wrong I was :shock:
Mine was made from three triangular panels joined together to make a circle, which when spread out form a circle with a 6ft radius !!!
Your head goes in the middle of the circle which means all of the material hangs down in folds keeping lots of warm air, especially when slung over the shoulder.

Lovely and warm !!!!

Hope that helps?

Martin

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
GP adds "Jedi Garb" to list of popular Buscraft items that aren't likely to be on his shopping list.

Although I suppose I have thought about putting a wee zip into the middle of my US poncho liner so I could wear the poncho with it still attatched.

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Aye, I know. That's where the idea got implanted.
However even my limited knowledge of knitting or sewing or whatever leads me to believe that I can do it for a tad less than $12.99 plus international postage.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
jakunen said:
What do you think us Celts have been using for centuries? :eek:):

Yes, you can get light weight btu fairly thick woollen cloths that are reasonably waterproof, but personally I'd back it up with sumat like SuperPel. Any good material seller should be able to advise.

Sorry Jak, I'm being a bit thick here but can you give me an example of the material you're talking about?

Cheers

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE