climbing the walls.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
I've just been signed off worth for a whole damn month by my doctor- I'm going to go out of my mind with boredom, anyone have any ideas for indoor projects that I can do over the next month to preserve my sanity? :(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh, I hope it's curable and benign.

Sew stuff, from clothing to leather :)
Learn to knit woollen socks and gloves and hats.
Small carvings....make your own really finished firebow and spindle set :cool:
Read loads of interesting websites and write down the things you'd like to try.

Figure out what trees are likely to be near you and suss out how to recognise them in Winter from buds and twigs.

Contact the library for the blind, and do some book reading recording for them.

Contact a local charity and offer to stuff envelopes for them.

What do you do normally anyway ? Is there anything involved with that that you might spend time doing without any pressure ?

atb,
Toddy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Expensive booze and cheap women is a pleasant way of passing the time if your single of course. Catch up on your reading, if your mobile get cooking something you don't normally do, bake bread etc.

Hope your well soon mate.

Ivanhoe

Forager
Aug 28, 2011
Sweden
Read all brouchures and websites from all manufacturers that you consider
worthwile. Begin deciding what you would consider The Ultimate Outdoor Kit
for each different season. Choose the boots, jacket, trousers, tent, rucksack
and kit of your dreams. Write down packing lists and properties of all the gear.

Be creative and think of colours, materials and how they interact.

Design and build all those small bags that you keep gear in outdoors.
Plan for different hikes, scenarios and adventures. Choose carefully
every single item that you'll bring into the forest.

Then slowly start building your Ultimate Outdoor Kit, weather it's State of the
Art GoreTex or the best price/quality equation gear that you want.

Aim for the long run and spread the cost over time so it will be manageble.

-

I actually did this many years ago and today I have what I consider is the
best outdoor kit one can own. I also design and build bags, rucksacks, tents
and tarps. I even have skis and pulks for winter use. (I can wait several years
for a speciffic wool pullower to be manufactured in the colour I want...)

It is a great interest to have. :)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Get obsessive about posting on every forum that interest you. That is what I do when I've run out of things I actually want to do and am stuck indoors (otherwise known as being at work). I have been like that this afternoon at home hence all my recent posts over the last 3 hours. I finished work at 14:30 and been home since about 3pm and am totally bored so I can't imagine how crazy I will be if I had a whole month stuck in like you are.

PS this is not the only site I've been posting on this afternoon. I have been busy just with nothing productive.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Order an amazon kindle and fill it full of books then IF you are allowed to get out walk to your nearest bit of nature and sit and read the books with a little bit of music and a brew kit. I did that a few evenings over this summer when it was nice enough to sit out. Mine is on top of a local crag beauty spot / nature reserve overlooking the Morecambe Bay. Even Heysham Nuclear Power Station looks good when seen across the Bay with a nice sunset to the west!! Plus I found a load of sloes which probably due for picking right now. Which gin is best for making sloe gin?

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Is there a way to make a message in a bottle out of wood?? A wooden bottle with a wooden boat in it? No point as you won't see the boat when done but must be hard as you can't see the boat as you are making it up inside the bottle.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Relax dude,:)... the fear of being bored is worse than boredom it's self :rolleyes:....& if I may quote Jacques Perrin ..." How can one be bored in a world where there is so much to do"....that's my philosophy anyway :D

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
get the rifle out the top window and get that scope plum on the target in the field out back....;) (joke)

carve some hooks from bone or hard woods, make a fishing pole to use them on.

CORDAGE you can never have enough, get twisting......:)

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
wow! thanks for the response here ladies n gents, plenty of ideas here! :)

I've been away with family this week I was meant to be diving in New Quay, but the bad weather/back has put the kibosh on that....been catching up on my reading really, I'm just glad Cody Lundin's books are on Kindle lol

PM me your addy and I'll post you up a nice burl to play with...

Will that cheer you up? :)

Dude, yes please!!- I've PM'd you my addy, will be home Friday

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE