cleaving a big oak with hand tools

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Yesterday I cleft up a 12 foot oak 2 feet in diameter using just hammers and wedges. It was great fun but hard work.
bradfield+bridge-11.jpg

This tree would normally have been sawn but it was awash with old nails so it would have been scrap if I had not been able to work it this way.

bradfield+bridge-15.jpg

bradfield+bridge-16.jpg

and the final split down to fence rail size
bradfield+bridge-20.jpg

more detail and pics on my blog http://greenwood-carving.blogspot.com/2010/02/cleaving-big-oak-with-hand-tools.html

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great stuff Robin. Theres a cleft sweet chestnut or Oak Fence on a huge scale nr Darly moor circuit in a village. Your work sir? Looks very nice.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
So my question to you both becomes.. Where do you start!
C da C.

Most common to start at end with a metal wedge then work along with wooden ones. Sometimes when I think there is a high risk of the split running out I'll start in the middle. I worked chestnut coppices in Kent years ago and split up many many rails after the 1987 storm but never did a very big one like this, the pics don't really show the scale.

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Most common to start at end with a metal wedge then work along with wooden ones. Sometimes when I think there is a high risk of the split running out I'll start in the middle. I worked chestnut coppices in Kent years ago and split up many many rails after the 1987 storm but never did a very big one like this, the pics don't really show the scale.

Cheers Robin.
Chris.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Ooooh! Careful, somebody will tell you off in a minute for pounding the head of a SFA, against the advice of the Axe Book! :rolleyes:

I did a large piece of ash just like that last year, cut a few wedges and started the split with an SFA, then introduced the wedges. The sound as it starts to part is tremendous!

Tjurved

Nomad
Mar 13, 2009
Sweden
Wow great cleaving and great wood. I almost feel sorry for it beeing divided into such smal pieces :(. It could have resulted in very fine quarter sawn boards... but I am sure you will do the wood justice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE