Cleaning Aluminium

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

myheadsashed

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2007
East Yorkshire
Over the weekend I aquired an unwanted greenhouse, you know the aluminium type from a friend. It was used for storage and was situated under some trees so its covered in moss, basically all the aluminum and glass is a nice shade of green. What would be the best method of cleaning it up? I'm doing my bit for global warming and recycling. Also I like the idea of fresh produce.

climberslacker

Forager
Jan 14, 2008
USA
uhhh, did you not get the point of the GREEN in the name? All jokes aside i would use a glass scraper for the glass and i don;t know what for the aluminum.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Probably some hot soapy water and a razor blade for the glass and a soft wirebrush for the ally frame. Plenty of elbow grease and it`ll come up grand.

Rich

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I'd like to offer a mild warning against using a wire brush to clean the ally parts,
The sections are very likey to be anodised extrusion - just means that they have been given a protective coating against corrosion, and a wire brush could easily scrape through the coating and set up a future of corrosion problems. Unlike iron, which, when it rusts it tends to protect itself from more corrosion, ally corrodes in a different way, actively attracting the means to corrode further, ultimately turning to a flakey mush before dissintegrating altogether. I'd say to use a plastic bristled brush in soapy water but ensure you rinse it all in clean water afterwards.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE