Green deal - any good information?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Moving into a new house for us, built in the 70s, so been looking into improvements worth doing. It's got photovoltaic cells which we will fully own. It's got a combi boiler which I believe is condensing. It's got double glazing which I think is not that old but my partner wants to replace asap.

So we looked at the green deal website and answered numerous questions. It then gives options. Something strange with the information given. Some give lifetime of the improvement along with time to pay back. Great! They're all lasting longer than payback period.

Then I realised some improvements missed these year figures. So I divided cost by the lower and upper savings figures. Some took 220 and greater to payback.

Now not an issue because imho we all have to do our bit to minimise global warming to safe levels. What annoys me is lack of honesty/ transparency. We can all do the maths. Why try to hide the fact these improvements won't be a net gain for you financially but will be worth it in other ways.

So in the aim of getting open and honest information on home improvements to help reduce damage to the planet, where is the best UK information? Anyone know a good UK website for costs, benefits, government or other grants/ loans, environmental benefits, etc?

I basically want to know as much as possible before deciding on our new home's improvements.

Btw it comes with photovoltaic cells but I'm not clear about storage. I suspect it's use it or sell it on deal. Is it worth putting in storage batteries to use it all or carry on with feed in tariffs? My partner works from home during the day. Also, the future for us is to consider EV to replace the car. That might be charged at night if I'm using it during the day but not if I use train and bike to commute.

Reactions: dwardo

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Btw this might turn into a general advice section for green living. That's ok but I hope to get specific advice about where to find out more open and honest information too.

I'm posting here because I get the impression there's people here who have been at this point of looking at doing more towards cutting global warming back. There's very knowledgeable people here about so much. I just expect someone to be ahead of us on this and can assist us with information.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE