Cleaning a mouldy smelling pvc waterproof jkt??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steve75

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2012
Tyne & wear
Along with some boots and trousers I have just took delivery of some ex army dpvc waterproof. I ordered them from British military surplus. All the kit arrived in excellent condition. My only concern is the waterproof jacket. Inside around the collar and shoulder area it has some mouldy growth. Checking the pockets as i always do if i buy surplus kit i found a naffi recipt from 1996. I am guessing the jacket has been in storage since not long after. I have gave it a quick hand wash and let it drip dry over night but it still smells mouldy. Any suggestions?

brozier

Tenderfoot
Oct 9, 2012
leicestershire
If it's not a goretex jacket I'd machine wash with a "Bio" detergent.

Does it have washing instructions? Hottest wash it can take would help to.

Cheers

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Wear it inside out.

You can if you want to, I wouldny, mould grows in damp areas (bathrooms, athletes foot - you get the picture).

Scrub with detergent, rinse, air dry. Scrub with vinegar, air dry no rinsing.

Mould is organic and will cling like CS gas, so keep it dry and aired.

Febreeze might help...

Liam

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Let it soak in warm soapy water for several hours, scrub it, you can add a little bleach at this point just before removing it from the water, spin it if you can, then hang it outside to dry, preferably in the sun as this will kill any fungal spores ( I'm assuming it's mildew). If when dry it still smells mouldy I think the fabric has probably been too badly damaged by the fungus.

Last edited:

steve75

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2012
Tyne & wear
Not happy. The jacket has been washed, wiped down with white vinegar and also soaked overnight in mild bleach. Still has a mouldy smell. Have emailed the surplus site saying its nite fit for use but had no reply.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
What about trying bicarbonate of soda?
Neutralises smell of mould in fridges etc......might be worth a try?

steve75

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2012
Tyne & wear
Tried soda it was mixed with the vinegar. May try again with stronger soda solution and leave it on oversight in the garage.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Soak it in a bath of warm water and washing powder. Rinse and a shallow soak in warm water and a bit of bleach (milton is pretty much only bleach) for an hour. Rinse in clean water and hang to dry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE