Claus Öhlsen spirit stove

wolflore

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2005
Twickenham
After another day of eating cold leftovers in my van it suddenly struck me that I should get myself a Trangia to heat up my lunch. After a bit of a natter with Rik on the Trangia thread I opted for the CO clone spirit stove. What can I say, it heated my lunch up! Quite quickly too. Thanks folks.

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
I was in Manchester last summer & found myself outside the Clas Ohlsen store. I couldn't resist the temptation to pop in and buy one of the legendary clones - only to find the shelves empty! Finally i managed to locate the last one in the store at the back of the bottom shelf & grabbed it. Hopefully, they've restocked since then. :) Great little cooker.

wolflore

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2005
Twickenham
I went into CO in Kingston today to try and pick one up, apparently they won't get any more in until March!

I think I had the last one off the shelf! The box was in a sorry state, though it's contents were fine. No sign of instructions mind. Have you tried online?

Has anyone tried the CO fire strikers?

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
It's a great stove. I rate it better than my trangia 25. I know boiling water in the quickest time isn;t the be all and end all, but it was quicker than my 25, and the design to me is better than the 27.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
If you're desperate for one, you can normally find some bright spark selling them on ebay for 15.99 plus postage!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I should be on sales commision for these stoves lol.

They are a good design copied from the Optimus Purple Flame / army ranger stove (all much the same models IIRC). Much better performer than the Swedish Army alcohol setup and would be very easy to mount a gas or paraffin burner in the CO stove for deep winter use. I do the same with real Trangia and the Lidl clone (stopped selling them but were really well made).

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
I have a battered Meta-50 stove, which this looks very similiar to. For a tenner, I wanted to take a punt on whether I can swap parts out with it.

The Meta-50 (and this stove) have a linear sloped surface to catch exhaust heat, and to my mind more surface area to exploit that heat, so I'm not surprised with the better boil times really.

Aldi did a non-stick pot range with frying pan that fit the Meta-50 (and hoepfully this stove) like a glove. Just a heads up when they stock them again...

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
I have a battered Meta-50 stove, which this looks very similiar to. For a tenner, I wanted to take a punt on whether I can swap parts out with it.

The Meta-50 (and this stove) have a linear sloped surface to catch exhaust heat, and to my mind more surface area to exploit that heat, so I'm not surprised with the better boil times really.

Aldi did a non-stick pot range with frying pan that fit the Meta-50 (and hoepfully this stove) like a glove. Just a heads up when they stock them again...

I picked up the lid to one of these -
http://www.outdoorkit.co.uk/product...opzilla&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=shopzilla
- in a sale a long time ago for 50p. To my delight it fits the Clas Ohlsen perfectly, so my CO now has a stainless steel frypan/lid.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Lads, pop down to Wilkinsons or similar and get a non stick, round, baking tray/flan pan, that way you have a non stick frying pan for under £3.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE