Citizen Band Radio for Expedition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Anyone have much experience with CB??

Next year i'm off on an Exped to Nordkapp Norway with 10 other vehicles , its been suggested we would benefit from some getting the same CB rig.

Looking for advice really and source to purchase.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My Dad belonged to a fairly wealthy gang of bird watchers (or so they claimed that's what they did between pubs).
They found some radio supply house that gave them a discount for buying 6-8 CB radios. That was the tipper for the sale.
All the usual 20 (?) channel jobs, all 12VDC plug ins, so there was never any messing with batteries.
The channels are fixed and compatable among radios. So brand differences don't matter so much at the same power levels. (5W PEP?)
As expected the Gov't had their hands up pant legs, looking for license fees.

Questions: You need CB licences? Reciprocal CB agreement with Norway or another licence?
Make certain that Customs documents you taking the radio in & out. Make a fuss about it on paper.
I had to get (free) a temporary reciprocal call sign to run my ham VE7APC in Victoria, Australia.

If one vehicle found a bird of interest to stop for (pictures, video) they could explain to everybody what there was to see.
Even went out in flotillas of lake-worthy house boats (sleep 6-8 to a boat = big.)

Dad said the radios were an ideal way to maintain communications for safety and hobby.
They had top brands (Icom/Yaesu/Kenwood/Motorola ?)

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
I may be a little out of date but in the past the UK CB channels were (are) on 27Mhz whilst the Norwegian ones were (are) on 78 MHz so a radio purchased here will not 'work' in Norway, and a Norwegian radio would not only not work in the UK but would be illegal.
If all of the vehicles are UK vehicles then you could all use UK CB, but it may conflict with other licenced users in Norway (worse case scenario you may blot out the Norwegian emergency services - it happened in the UK on the 'old' 27mhz AM band)

Not sure where you could find out more - maybe the Norwegian embassy ?

You may be better looking at (European wide specification) PMR radios with a much shorter range that operate in the 444mhz band.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
i think you can now buy dual band, that covers UK and EU frequencies. I dont know for sure though.

I use a CB when green laning in the landrover in a convoy, with a small springer i get about 1-2miles range, with a large springer about 3-4 and with a large firestick i get about 6+miles.

The firestick is good for convoying on roads etc, but as its rigid fibreglass it doesnt bend so is useless on 'off road' type adventures where undergrowth will break it.
Its a handy thing to have, one of the guys has a handheld one that plugs onto a 12v cigarette socket and an external area so can be used as a fixed device, but also taken out the vehicle for one foot

Reactions: TeeDee
Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
Why do you need a CB radio?

Just use your mobiles. As you know, civilisation reaches all the way to Nordkap.
How do plan to drive, which route?

With a radio all vehicles in the convoy get the message instantaneously "leader to convoy - road blocked, take it steady and keep over to the right"

With a phone you would need to make 10 calls.

Similarly, that's the reason why boats use VHF radio so any one can listen and respond if necessary. If you get into trouble you could phone the lifeboat, but there could be a boat who could assist that is only a mile away and respond much quicker if only they knew you needed assistance.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Aha!

Would a good WT work for the car journey?

On my boat I have a dedicated phone, with the emergency numbers on easy speed dial.
Two presses and the emergency goes out.

CB is cool, very retro!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Nope. Waterproof mobile.
Had radios here on boats. Due to my hearing problem, could not hear anything, unless engines were off, and ear really close to speaker.
The last boat, after about 2 years, something between the radio and batteries corroded.
Spent hours routing new cables.

No juice - no function. Bad safety.

I am sure your CB will work, unless you have a mountain between you!

Last edited:

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
You may be better looking at (European wide specification) PMR radios with a much shorter range that operate in the 444mhz band.
Got to agree, PMR may be a better option than CB. Depends how far off the beaten track you are going.

PMR 446 and DIGITAL PMR 446 equipment is exempted from individual licensing by Nkom. link
Downside: The small 'walkie-talkie' versions available from the likes of Argos have limited range. Fine for close convoy use but if you get strung out in densely wooded or steep terrain you will be lucky to reach 1km away. They also tend to use AAA batteries fairly quickly. On the plus side they are 100% legal, relatively cheap & very compact.

There are better affordable handsets out there such as the Baofeng's with rechargeable batteries, 12volt adpators and the ability to plug in vehicle antennas. Unfortunately the lowest setting for transmission power is 1W, double what you are technically allowed to use for PMR so slightly naughty but unlikely to upset anybody in a remote area.

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
In the UK cb radios are now licence exempt. Check with Norway.

There are two cb band plans - UK and EU.
EU channels should not be used in the UK and vice versa.

Getting a multi standard 80 channel cb (40 uk, 40 EU) would be a good bet and not too expensive. Much better range then pmr.

Due to being exempt from licensing there is nowhere to apply for a callsign, so you are free to make them up.

Hope this helps

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

fenix

Forager
Jul 8, 2008
Kent
CB will out range PMR 446, and is now license free in the UK. Just had a look and you can get set up for £75 per vehicle, just don't get a magmount if your using a landrover ;)
The radios and the frequency allocation has changed over the last few years, and new radios are advertised as being legal across Europe, you just need to select the right frequency allocation. For radio info transmission 1 is a good source of info
http://www.transmission1.net/

For full anorak you can get a amateur radio license, very interesting course, and you can get around the world using a long bit of wire.

Reactions: MrEd
Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
CB has far greater range than PMR.

I got my CB setup for about £80 all in, works for me. ROund my way i sometimes pick up the farmers on their sets :)

The 'old' CB was an international capable band - I have QSL cards from all over the world, from the USA, Australia, South Africa and most of Europe.
We were operating (primarily) on SSB but if the skip was good AM reached all over Europe.
I was eventually 'caught' (busted by Busby) whilst using short-skip to Scotland. Equipment seized and ended up in court.

I was operating 'mobile' from my car with a Ham International (modded to give 5Khz channel spacing and shifted to work on super low 26Mhz up to 28 Mhz Ham band) and a 6' Moonraker aerial.

CB call sign 'Fly-Boy' (I was a flying instructor in the RAF)
DX CB Call sign '1FT84'
Amateur call sign 'G3LCR'

Reactions: juttle and MrEd

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE