Citizen Band Radio for Expedition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My Dad's experiences with CB and his bird-watching tribe showed clearly that there's both a time and a place
for that kind of group communication. Pretty contented bunch. I think they traveled more as a result, too.

I had looked at CB years before when it was trendy. Then a year came when I had empty evenings for nearly a year.
A local ham radio class got put together, part theory and part CW (listen on air if you could with a SW RCVR.)
Bunch of retired Canadian Armed Forces people.
25 years on my bucket list and I nailed it. Advanced class a couple of years later.
Go on! Stretch your head. QRP QSL cards come with bragging rights.
VE7APC

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
It looks like the PRM446 radios we have in the UK are not legal in Norway. They have ardios called KDR444
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_radio_service#Norway)
You will probably struggle to buy those radios in the UK. And if you could, they would be no use (and not legal) if you brought them back to the UK.

Norway appears to have joined the CEPT (European telecomms and postal union). So I would assume that any CEPT/EU band CB radios will be legal there. This is a block of 40 channels, often refered to as FCC, or EU, or CEPT, or 'mid block'.
It looks like AM or FM or SSB modulation, is legal and licence free in Norway.
The best reference I can find is:
http://service.alan-electronics.de/radio-passports/AM-FM-SSB-CB-Radio-Passport.pdf

Any UK band CB sets (often marked CB 27/81) will not be legal ousude of the UK. This was the band we were granted in 1981.

Generally, CB radio will work over much greater ranges than the UHF handelds. And will work better around obstructions (hills) .
Vehicle mounted antennas are best. Handheld antennas are a big compromise, so will be limited in range. But still better than UHF.

There are lots of CB sets on sale on ebay. Alan seems to be a big manufacturer of them these days. And even cheaper radios will often do many of the bands, the CEPT/EU band and the country specific ones. And can do multiple modes. So you can talk to anyone, whatever CB set they have, on future events.
Just make sure that the everyone in the convoy has radios that can do a common mode.

Antennas.... Basically the longer the better. Mounted as high on the vehicle as poss and as central as possible. But don't get too hung up on that, if not cenvenient. And you need a good earthing to the car body.
So ideally a mount drilled through the roof and biting through the paint on the underside. But if you don't want to do that, then mounting a gutter clamp, or boot lip clamp mount, with a short (less than 9" would be fine) bit of wire to ground the base somewhere to the body.
Magnetic mounts are not too bad. But get the bigest and strongest you can. It saves having it dragged along your roof, if the wind or a low tree catches it. Also the big footprint helps the mount get a sort of grounding to the bodywork (without an actual connection).
Shorter antennas will still work, but reduced range. If you only run in tight convow, that would be fine. But if you get separated by more than a few miles, or there is a hill between, then you will start to struggle.

Taking 12volt power from somewhere in the car should be easy enough. They only take a couple pof amps on transmit and hardly anything on receive.
If your lighter socket is live all the time, this would be fine, if you can find a reliable plug. Or just tag some wires directly off the back of the socket to the CB. If the lighter socket dies when the ignition is turned off, you can't easilly leave the radio monitoring when at camp etc.
And use a fuse in the live (positive), please! Ideally a fuse holder in both the live and ground (+ve and -ve) power leads. If a fuse pops, you have something very wrong. Probably mixed up your ground and live. But a popped fuse is better than a damaged car loom and burnt up CB set.
Sorry to go on, but have seen it sooooo many times.

You may find that having an external plug in speaker is useful. it helps you hear in the vehicle, and when at camp, you can hang it out of a window, and listen for calls

Hope that helps.

Little correction to that PDF of the CB allocations in Europe....
Since that was published, the UK have allowed SSB and AM on the EU 40 channels.
So should read:
40 FM UK + 40EU FM/AM 4watts + 40EU SSB 12watts

Last edited:

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
A little bit of chatter....

Out camping as a kid, we used to use CB radio a lot. These were usually vehicle mount sets, modified to reduce the power consumption (switching off the channel display and the signal meter backlight). And run from a couple of lantern batteries, scrounged from the council roadmen.

We would have them in our rucksacks (definitly not packing light !) with a short mobile antenna on the top, or even just a bit of wire hanging out the side, running the radio on low power, as that is not a proper antenna. So we could coordinate between ourselves on the hike in.
Then at camp, we would rig up an antenna, made from some 9ft lengths of wire and a length of coax cable. And strung up vertically from a tree. (A half wave vertical dipole, for the AR people).
It was surprising how good an antenna that was. Went for miles and miles.

I later moved on to Amateur Radio. But I still acknowldge that CB is a good resource. And now that all the idiots have left it, people like us can use it for what it was originally intended for.

Reactions: MrEd

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Not CB but have just bought Baofeng UV-5R units for under £20 each. These are have excellent rang (up to 10 miles). You can buy a small business licence from Ofcom for £75 covering 5 years.

Basically they are entry level business radios.

Wide range off accessories available to make very tacticool! If that floats your boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Not CB but have just bought Baofeng UV-5R units for under £20 each. These are have excellent rang (up to 10 miles). You can buy a small business licence from Ofcom for £75 covering 5 years.

Basically they are entry level business radios.

Wide range off accessories available to make very tacticool! If that floats your boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great little radios but unfortunately not legal outside the UK :(

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Anyone have much experience with CB??

Next year i'm off on an Exped to Nordkapp Norway with 10 other vehicles , its been suggested we would benefit from some getting the same CB rig.

Looking for advice really and source to purchase.

I have both a Midland Alan 78 Plus and an Albrecht AE 6790 both of which are switchable between the different country frequency and channel allocations. Norway is 40FM only last time I checked.

In my experience, if you are only using it for convoy communications, long antenna are a headache and the short stubby antenna are both more discrete and perfectly satisfactory for ranges of several miles. I travel with a short antenna fitted and a long one packed away just in case (but never actually had to use it when trekking).

We did the length of Norway in two Defenders a few years back and generated quite a lot of interest; most of the vehicles running that route are white camper vans :(

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Does anywhere rent out CB units?

The only comms. rental I have experience of would be well over £100 for a week so the sub £100 for a Midland unit (plus antenna) would be cheaper. A hand-held CB would be a good choice if you don't want to mount it but a temporary installation is perfectly possible anyway.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
The only comms. rental I have experience of would be well over £100 for a week so the sub £100 for a Midland unit (plus antenna) would be cheaper. A hand-held CB would be a good choice if you don't want to mount it but a temporary installation is perfectly possible anyway.

For quite a while I had mine screwed Onto a bit of ply that I sat on the passenger seat, just had a cig plug on the wire for power and a mag mount on the front wing.
All removable

Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE