Christmas goody bag for the boy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bloodhound

Nov 17, 2015
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Evening all

My young son and I are spending a lot of time outdoors these days. General format of a day out is go for a mooch about, take some photos, cook some lunch, have a brew, have a go at some targets with the catapult or maybe a bit of fishing or shelter building or something.

Anyway, long story short, up to now we just share my stuff but I thought it would be a good Christmas gift if I bought him his own little backpack and a bit of gear.

Bearing in mind that he's 6 and I don't want him lugging loads of kit around this is what I'm planning. He won't know how to use some of this properly yet but I know he'll be interested in them.

Backpack
Water bottle/canteen
Paracord wristband and a section of paracord too.
Small led torch
A map.
Compass
Spork
A first knife (realise this can turn into quite a debate but this isn't the focus of my thread)
A small FAK to teach him how important this is.
Maybe some 'proper' outdoor boots.

...but then I run out of steam. Have any of you done a similar thing with the kids and what did you include? Can you think of anything I could add? Stoves, fire, and overnight stuff aren't really a priority right now and I've got plenty of those things anyway.

Cheers

Aaron

Rich D

Forager
Jan 2, 2014
Nottingham
pretty good list, my two 9 and 7 love having either a light hammock or tarp so that they can make dens. Also some cheap binocs or scope work well too, as does a small collins book to trees or mushrooms etc

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
How about a small bit of groundsheet to sit on /put his gear on.
A collins gem book on trees or plants.
A small pair of binoculars.

Cross post with Rich

Last edited:

Bloodhound

Nov 17, 2015
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Thanks guys. Great minds... :)

We got the binoculars, but I'm definitely liking the tarp/groundsheet/hammock idea. I reckon he'd love that. I saw a little 8ft sq camo net online somewhere and I had half a mind to get it for dens and things. Thought he might like that too.

A Collins book about trees is something we could both use to be honest so I think that's also a great idea.

It's coming together well now... Nice one!

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
Map of the area he knows, so that he can relate to it and a little compass. You could than set little nav exercises in an area you know. Find the pirates treasure etc, especially if you hide a wee treat to find.

Andy

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Some good ideas so far. Another wee thing that's not expensive and won't take up space but is handy and fun to have is a loupe/small magnifying glass. Great for flora/fauna ID, first aid, fire lighting that sort of thing.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Regarding the knife - obviously something you need to keep hold of so that he only has access to it under supervision. Opinel do one with a rounded tip so no sharp point which is a common area of injury with youngsters. It also locks so won't close on little fingers. When he is a bit older, Hultafors produce a fixed blade 'safety knife' again with a rounded point - probably too big for him at the moment. I've got both of these for my son and they are good starter knives. My son is 10 and he loves removing the bark from sticks and putting points on them. He doesn't yet have the fine motor skills or hand strength for much more than that but can still learn safe knife use.
another idea for young children is a potato peeler - great for removing bark for little projects but much less chance of cuts.
in my experience kids love having their own kit - esp. If it's just like Daddy has and it really encourages them to want to get out and use it. Hope your son loves his Christmas present.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think we had most fun with stuff that was cheap! A bag of plaster of paris and some plastic tubs with the bottoms cut out make a great kit for recording tracks and starting a collection. Its also something they can show to friends, form the basis for a collection and a "purpose" for trips on wet days. A cheap photo album for leaves works well. Collect and label at home...

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Aaron. PM me over your address and I will send you over some paracord, I have dozens of offcuts suitable for wristbands, I might even have a small buckle I can send over.

In fact I have some ferro rod / striker buckles, not great but are useable.

Richard

Bloodhound

Nov 17, 2015
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Thanks for everyone's input, loads of good ideas. I reckon I'll add magnifying glass, whistle and maybe ferro rod to the list, though I might have to keep it for safety when we're not out and about. He can be an 'enthusiastic' little guy when he wants to be and I can see the carpet going up!! :lmao: I shall post back with a picture of it all assembled when I get it together.

Aaron

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Thanks for everyone's input, loads of good ideas. I reckon I'll add magnifying glass, whistle and maybe ferro rod to the list, though I might have to keep it for safety when we're not out and about. He can be an 'enthusiastic' little guy when he wants to be and I can see the carpet going up!! :lmao: I shall post back with a picture of it all assembled when I get it together.

Aaron

Aaron

The ferro rod buckle I am going to send over has a whistle built in.

Richard

MarkN

Jan 13, 2015
Dorset
Hi Aaron,

That's a great idea for your son's Christmas present. You might have another idea but as far as a knife goes, there is a really good Swiss Army Knife that's designed for Scouts, in as far as it has a rounded end. My nephews have one each and from the off, they were taught that it's a tool and not a weapon, they've carry them all the time in their pockets and have learnt to respect knives etc now. I'm sure your son will be the same.

It's already been mentioned but I know my nephews love their hammocks, if we go for a walk, they take them with them and we set them up at lunch time etc. They've even slept in them during a summer's camping trip. They also have a tarp and use this in the garden to make a "den" as well, so they get lots of use out of that.

Also, how about one of the cards that show how to tie knots or a small first aid kit, just a few plasters etc?

Good luck!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE