Christmas day wander

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Well the whole family including me have had some sort of lurgie (flu like symptoms) for the past few days. And Christmas day was no better, but I couldn’t cope with staying in any longer so at midday I decided to head out for a walk in the woods around the house.

There has been snow lying for a total of 27 days so far this winter and you can tell. Almost all the trees round about show signs of bark stripping.

1walk.jpg

This one has been done almost right round.
2walk.jpg

There is about 4” left, which I covered up with an old tree tube I found under the snow.

Even the bigger trees aren’t immune.

3walk.jpg

The culprits’ burrows
4walk.jpg

I was only out for around an hour. But in spite of feeling groggy the sun felt warm and the air refreshing.
I heard buzzards calling, and rooks getting upset about something, I saw lots of wood pigeons flying over head. But no sign of the two red kites that have been hanging around for the last couple of months.
There were plenty tracks out though. Most were rabbits, and many were not distinct as the snow has been lying so long.
This was a small clawed animal that had stepped over the prints of a neighbour’s dog.
5walk.jpg

Not sure what it is yet. I’ll have to look it up.

Blackbird prints
bbirdtracks.jpg

Roe deer tracks.
6walk.jpg

Last week I saw a herd of over 55 Red Deer on the hill behind the house. They seem to be moving much lower because of the snow.

View across the glen
7walk.jpg

At the start of the week (before we got ill) I took my daughter and one of her friends skiing down here

8walk.jpg

You can still see our tracks as it hasn't snowed since

Heading back to the house
ahouseshot.jpg

Today I’ll be trying out my new bowl carving knives and planning a shave horse to go with my new draw knife. Oh and cooking some local roe deer for this evening when my sister and her husband are round.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Shame about the trees... I guess a fair few will be lost to ring barking this winter.

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.

Simon

Not just the barking, I walked up to my brothers yesterday and trees have broken and snapped all over the place with the weight of the snow.

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
Thankfully I got the dreaded lurgie just before Xmas but my son was not so lucky and it has ruined his.

That's a lovely neck of the woods you live in and how I wish I had scenery like that on my doorstep. It's amazing when you think of how cold it has been how nature survives and I guess the work on those trees is one of the results which I have spotted around here also. Nice pics.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I came down the the aches at 4am yesterday. Sort of put a dampener on the day.

I can see how your spirits were raised by the walk and you have a great home there.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lovely photos :D from a beautiful part of the world :cool:
Thank you for sharing, and you have my complete sympathy with the lurgy. Three weeks and I'm still not 100% :sigh:

atb,
Mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE