Chris and Stu's Bogus Journey (loch/canoe/camp)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
we did plan on taking the canoe, but troubles with my pick up meant we had to use the car, hence the inflatables.

myself, knowing that the little inflatables had limited capacity, had packed light, (much to Andy's amusement) ,

and when i put the pack on it took a while to find the confidence to start paddling with any vigour,...

Chris on the other hand packed all kinds of **** and as such felt too top heavy with it on his back,...

so with Andy's help he strapped it to the nose with bungies ,....gotta love a bungee eh?...

a bit swell on the way to the "other beach" meant we were fighting on the way there ....

the sun was blazing too and i was getting burnt,... but finnally we came to the place as described by Andy,..

hung a left and headed inland,...

the place was rammed with bone dry driftwood so my priority was to get a fire going to dry out (the kayaks arent the driest paddle),

It seemed lannymans preffered first job was to get naked and run about a bit,. hahahaha ,......

we got dried, and went for a mooch,...found the spine and skull of a strange alien beast,....seal i think...lol...

and the bow of a big rusty ship,..

also found a bit of gearbox, i reckon the syncro on 4th was a bit tight...(fellow engineers might get that) hahahah

made a little arty sculpute and a nice simple drift wood pot hanger,...

second run out for my new mess kit too,...its a nesting coleman affair with pan lid and bowl, cup etc,.....its just earnt its place as my main kit, due to the practical nature and size,..

anyway,.. gotta say massive cheers to lanny,...the deal was, he'd provide the meat if i got us there (fuel) ...

so he saved me from a slow death of porrige and rice with his finest chorizo, black pudding , bacon and salami,....

can you say meast feast? ,...say it with me now,...MEEEEAAAATTTT FEEEAAAST!!!!

ahem,....

come low tide Chris paddled out and laid a few chorizo baited lines ,...

then the weather came in,....oooofff!!!!!

we had to batten down the hatches and drop the tarp poles to the floor,....it wazzed down!! (or so Chris says,.....i was snoring like a beast,...his words not mine)

woke up at 9 am ish this morning,had a brew and a bit of breaky.

packed up, loaded up the kayaks,..i went with the front loading method,for more stability.

as we passed the lines Chris pulled them in and found a little Bass on the hook!!! yay!!!

it was a lovely paddle back as we had a little tail wind and some sun,.....

had a dry of and a brew at the car, rang Andy and pipped the horn as we went passed his gaff just so he didnt call the coastguard,.....

all in all a proper mini adventure,

thanks to Chris for getting me off me backside to go, and of course the companionship,..

and to Andy for facilitating the trip with what is a beautiful virtually unspoilt location,....(youre a lucky man dude!)

ok i,ve rattled on enough,

thanks for looking ,...

Stu

x

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Last edited:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
thanks for the write up Stu and of course the lift....;)

will post my pic's when i get a better signal as they are on my phone.....:(

thanks to Andy for being an awesome sport, and showing us where to go, tis an awesome spot and im sure we will meet up again some time, your a very lucky man indeed....

regards to all..

chris.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
5c28feb6-04b7-01d4.jpg
5c28feb6-04d1-8074.jpg
5c28feb6-04e7-1399.jpg
5c28feb6-04fc-dba1.jpg

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
ha ha ha ha ha ha, no not a cave troll mate, more rugged mountain survivalist.....:dancer::rofl:

Again thanks Andy for all the help.....:)

well, what a weekend, and NO, i was not naked at all, well apart from getting changed out of my wet-suit that is....

started of at a wonderful little spot. because we arrived later than we wanted to, the paddle had to wait till morning, had a fire under am over hang wich reflected the heat really well, Andy had about 2 million brews throughout the evening....;)

Stu and Andy managed to sleep in, well, i woke early and the only good reason to have a watch is so you dont get up at 5:30 am....:nono: (i didnt have one)... so decided to make a brew and felt rather peckish, so cooked up some chariso bacon and black pudding, Stu having barely any food took the brew but declined the meat feast at 06:00, strange that???????
well after that i collapsed the bivi sleeping bag and tarp, just dozed on the grass until the other 2 stirred...the view was awesome too...:) the climb back to the car was a bit of a beast though...:( we collected the stuff from the car inflated the kayaks and bid Andy a fare well, and then i returned to shore, to strap my kit to the kayak as i was way to unbalanced, strapped on it was very doable though, so said by to Andy again....:rolleyes:

the paddle out was ok, the swell was around 3 feet, with a low wind but it was slow going, it must have taken around 1.5 hours in total....now having ever only done kayaking and canoeing on rivers and lakes i did not know that you could get sea sick in such a small craft, well i did, i felt pants towards the end of the paddle, thats why i shot of a bit and left Stu bringing up the rear, (sorry dude...:()....

after landing on the beach and having a moment to myself to get composed and feel better we brought the kayaks up out of the returning tide and went to explore.... we found the site that had been used before, then went to collect all the kit and return to the site.....we didnt set up straight away and decided to look for fire wood and kit that would be of use, the beach was a haven for useful bit, bottles barrels and all sorts of rope and stuff that could be used...

we foraged for some fresh foods, we found some shrimp in the rock pools, crabs small fish, winkles limpets and all manner of other things...i decided to opt for the wood lice which where in abundance....a simple dry fry in a pan and they where done, they taste quite like prawns but not so fishy, i find they change from area to area a little though...

anyway, we had loads of meat, stu cooked some rice and we just chilled, then very late in the day i decided to make some fishing dits to fry and get some fresh fish for breakfast, now leaving it late i was a little bad and paddled out to set the line just before dark, but all went well and once the kayak was back up to the camp spot i got warm by the fire and dried off, the kayaks are not a dry paddle....

the next day sleeping in later after a very gusty rainy bad night we got up broke camp having breakfast as we went, not wanting to waist time, thinking the paddle back could be worse than the paddle in, but it turned out ok in the end....as we went i checked the lines and was very surprised to find a small bass, i quickly returned the lines to the beach above the water line ready for next time we go, then paddled out to meet stu, and away we went....

the swell was almost nothing, but the wind was bad at times with strong long gusts, but it helped us along as it was blowing toward the way we where heading...

well thats our trip, was an awesome weekend and im planing on getting a kayak for myself now, they are awesome, and take up no room are very robust and do the job well, if a little wet...im going to look for some spots nearer to us for a paddle and camp along the coast.....

Thanks to Andy and Stu for a brill weekend and good old chill before Afghan....

regards to all

chris.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
oh also forgot to say, my last picture of the hill side, the dark rock in the center of the picture, there is a brown blur against it, it was a red deer hind, i was quite surprised to see it so close to the shore, the picture is pants though as it was my phone...:(

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
oh aye!

i forgot to mention ole tea belly andy,

Jeez the guy can put the brews away,

his crusader never got cool i dont think,

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
i find the tesco's own brand midge repellent work's for me ,, Avon skin so soft doesnt work , for me any way ,,, , a midge net is great , or a very smoky fire ... or yi can run like feck .....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE