A birthday paddle from Milarrochy Bay at Loch Lomond

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
It is my birthday today. 48 years young and all that. I used to always take the day off and go for a paddle on my birthday but this has fallen away for a number of reasons. This year i decided it was time to bring the tradition back. So after a breakfast of carrot cake and opening presents I loaded up the canoe and headed to the carpark at Milarrochy Bay on Loch lomond.

The weather was better than had been predicted. There was essentially no wind and the sun was behind hazy cloud cover but with no threat of rain. Sam was accompanying me.

A65F4382-C694-459F-A025-22795F4257BB.jpg

After the last few trips it was a real shock to be out in such calm conditions.

7D70E861-4C41-4885-82DC-9C8B620C57EC.jpg

The fact it was midweek and before the summer holidays meant the loch was quiet too. It probably helped that I was quite early. Later a few more craft appeared.

96801EA5-C105-4AB3-9B34-CF8636A6CF93.jpg

We were in no rush. It was just a joy to be paddling in such calm conditions. We were heading to Bucinch but in an indirect and leisurely fashion.

8493CDEB-C0BF-4379-9686-FC99D39470DC.jpg

Eventually we landed with plans to have an early lunch. Two things stopped us. First we were immediately swarmed over by midges. Sam seemed unaffected by them but I was being driven mad. Speaking of mad I see we have the permanent camp back up from last year.

B1E6EBB5-055A-4170-8A59-9EED3C362906.jpg

This is a huge camp. Four tents a big tarp set up. Two full size calor gas bottles with a two ring burner, beer cans and bottles about and loads and loads of other stuff. The fire was stone cold but everything was left looking as if people were about. I'm pretty sure it was to deter people from hanging about or clearing the camp. I hope the rangers deal with this and don't allow it to remain for the full summer like it did last year. If this sort of thing continues it is all but certain that camping will be banned on the islands too as well as the shore which will be a real shame.

Whatever, I headed off in search of a midge free lunch spot.

FB368D0E-1F7D-461B-B6B8-D2B68E9488E4.jpg

I was not that hungry so there was no rush and as there was no wind so choices were limited. I am trying out a windburner stove (formerly windboiler) and did consider making lunch in the canoe for a while but wisely dismissed this idea. It was nice to just sit and drift for a while.

48479BDA-0B82-473A-8382-7A01A7CEA727.jpg

Actually I say drift but with no wind we were really just sitting in one spot.

Eventually I found a beach with only a few midges trying to eat me. Giving me somewhere to make lunch.

EC464110-3475-4ED8-A5BA-0D1892FEA84A.jpg

Had I not been getting gnawed on my a few midges I would have relaxed on the beach for longer but I could not settle for long. So it was off again out into the calm waters.

E2E2F284-3290-415D-B32A-3D42C2F8F66E.jpg

I could have happily paddled and drifted about all day but there was plans for later in the day so I pointed the canoe back to the carpark and headed back.

2798512D-D7CE-4383-9C76-BD5F8ED26BD6.jpg

It was great paddle. I had a headnet with me but no insect repellent but am not sure it would have helped enough to let me settle on land for any length of time. I have added it to my pack for the summer though. I have a few video clips from today so may get round to cobbling a video blogg together at some point.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
What a wonderful way to spend your birthday :)

Thank you for sharing it with us as well and happy birthday, I can tell you had a good one :cool:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Happy Birthday Sir.

Looks like you had a cracking paddle despite the midge.
Sam looks very stoic with his 1000 yard stare. Handsom dog.

Haven't had a paddle that way in yonks but it's good to explore 'round there.

Glad you had a good day and many happy returns again.

GB.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE