Chris and Stu's Bogus Journey (loch/canoe/camp)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Is it hammockable round there Rob, I can't tell how big those clusters of trees are on the pics here

Yep :)

Hammocpitched.jpg

somemorenicespaces.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The left hand side of the wee island looks like a great spot to hang the hammocks ..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickd58/3812862118/lightbox/

ooooh that looks nice,....

this midgey bussiness is really putting me off though,...

Get some Wilmas Nordic Summer (£8 'ish) and a midge head net, a Beatons jacket is a good investment, a light pair of gloves are next on my list.

Sometimes they can be enough to drive you mental, not because they're biting you but because they get into and over everything. If you left an exposed hand out for a few minutes it would be crawling, literally hundreds if not thousands of them. Some folk swear by Avon's Skin so Soft but it didn't work for me, Wilmas is the only one that stops them actually biting, they'll still swarm you though.

Some good tips by Stephen, site selection is key in midge season, higher ground is the obvious one but an exposed shoreline can be a good spot. If the wind drops off completely there's naff all you can do about it, they'll be out in seconds trying to get in your ears, nose, eyes, mouth, food, beer etc etc. Cracking on a smokey fire with a big tarp or chute over the top is about all you can do, either that or just go to bed.

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
bit of a diversion but how about a exp following the course of a local river ie tees, tyne, wear or humber get dropped as far as is navigable and paddle/portage to the sea. bit more of an adventure and without midges.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
bit of a diversion but how about a exp following the course of a local river ie tees, tyne, wear or humber get dropped as far as is navigable and paddle/portage to the sea. bit more of an adventure and without midges.

hmmmmmmm

that sounds good too,...

we'd need to know our "paddleable distance per day" though to have any hope of getting it right

and im still very much a begginer in the noo stakes,.....

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
hmmmmmmm

that sounds good too,...

we'd need to know our "paddleable distance per day" though to have any hope of getting it right

and im still very much a begginer in the noo stakes,.....

i think the emphasis is on ''adventure'' . point is you make it up as you go along and cherish the journey. Oh and by the way............. where's my invite, hmmmmm? :cool:

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
i think the emphasis is on ''adventure'' . point is you make it up as you go along and cherish the journey. Oh and by the way............. where's my invite, hmmmmm? :cool:

come!!

are you a good swimmer?.....

haha ,...

no seriously...if you keep the gear minimal then it';ll go in wi us,..you could use Chris's one man thingy,....

you can tell by my terminology im no expert,..

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
come!!

are you a good swimmer?.....

haha ,...

no seriously...if you keep the gear minimal then it';ll go in wi us,..you could use Chris's one man thingy,....

you can tell by my terminology im no expert,..

hell i'd be up for any ''journey''. ya's both got me number, back in the day i was a competant paddler in a kayak.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
ha ha ha ha ha ha, Stu has never been midged......:lmao::mosquitos::rofl:

i have got 2 head nets mate, if you want to borrow 1, i find long sleeve running tops stop them doing anything to your arms, i use a thin pair of cycle gloves, and wear my normal walking trousers, and a shirt with the collar protects your little bit of neck that sticks out...

the thing is they totally love me, mozzies leave me alone when others get feasted upon, but the midge just loves me to bits....:(

still looking forward to it though.....;)

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i have got a small kayak Jamie, not sure you would fit in it though, its just bit enough for me, and you are a little bigger than me??????

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
your bum is way bigger than mine :eek:

i gots the chain sharpening stuff, bar the chain file guide, by the way.

check you out dude......;)

you the man, i have been so busy with work mate i have not had a chance to sort anything out, things wont get much better as im away on course next week...:(

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Why Loch Awe etc where we had a foul time in a Forestry lodge thanks to midges? Far better in every way would be West coast in and out of little islands? We were free of midges and it seems to be so all around the mainland bit of Somerled's kingdom.

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
Im up for doing a river run. And ive got enough room for one more and gear. Not really up for travelling so far for a loch trip untill midge srason is over.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
well the meet is set to east scotland and it looks like a cracking location, bit of foraging along the shore. i might even try and dive for some lobster or crab.....:)

stu might have to rescue me though....lol

will post some pics when i get some, or when we are back...

regards.

chris.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
* UPDATE* Stu and Chris arrived at my house last night apporx 8.50pm and we set off to my fave brew spot,due to Stu having to set off later from his end otherwise they were going to be heading straight for there beach location,but this is 1 to 1.5 miles paddling so they saved that for today due to fading light etc, i cant put any pics of last night yet as i can no longer post new pics but i will email last nights and this mornings to Stu and he can post them, Last night we just bivi'd on the grass on a little cove, a few bevy's and a small fire later then it was bed,I woke up approx 4.30(first light) needing a call of nature and took the opertunity to get a crafty pic of Stu and Chris dozing away,then a hour later Chris was up cooking Bacon,Chorizo,black pudding.I think we all got up proper at about 8.00am.A few brew's and a bit of packing then it was down to the Jetty to lauch the inflated tractor tyre's(small infatable canoes) this is were they launched from, its a old pic but shows the area,,

PICT0010.jpg
The weather was/is fantastic blue skies no cloud,sea was a bit of a swell but it had dropped from last night is due to continue to do so, i sat and watched them/took pics for 40 mins until they were just specks even through my bins, hope they have a good un and looking forward to there report.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
cheers to Andy for hosting us on his little cove spot,

he even shared his booze and brought some firewood,....cheers mate ,..it was excellent to see you and have a natter,...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE