Choosing a backpack.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

dajak

Hi all,
Im Roelof and i life in Holland.
Im a great bushcraft fan and i go out as much as i can.

Now there is a problem because i need a new backpack.
Everybody thinks "cool" searching and bying a cool new backpack.
Wel i wish it was that simple, i absolutly cant choose between a few and i need your help.

I like the Maxpedition Vulture.

Karrimor sabre 45

Arktis patrol pack

Does anyone have one of these and can gif me advise?

They are all aprox 45 to 55 liter.
I like lots of pockets but not to much and i think i want a flap top because it may shed the rain beter??

maybe ther is someone who,s thinking about a totally different backpack, please tell me.

Regards,

Dajak.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
Hi from england if you put (rucksacks) in the search option at the top lots of good stuff to read in there :wave:

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
The Karrimor is nice but I don't think they come with pockets or a yoke to use the pockets as a day sac so that is more expense to think about. The Snugpak Rocket pack is similar to the Sabre but has pockets included, although no yoke still. I haven't seen the others but several people have maxpedition gear so they will be able to give you an idea on that.

Bill

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Well what is the general opinion on Webtex products,especialy their rucksacks .They look to be good value for money,are they well made and long lasting ect.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi Roelof!

Welcome to the forum!!

There are quit a lot of people who use the Karrimore (Sabre) 45 rucksack ... with or without the additional side pockets.
I think the first question you have to ask yourself is what capacity you'll need - and what you'r gonna do with the pack.
I'm using a Karrimor Sabre 60 - 100 for bushcraft AND normal camping / hiking (and for bringing my dirty laundry back home - as for I'm studying at uni).
It looks a bit to big :shock: for bushcraft, I agree - but I'm still a novice - and still learning, and because there isn't a suitable place in Holland to practice bushcraft: the UK is the place to be, so I've to take a bit more extra stuff - If you know a good place for bushcraft in Holland: PM me :wink: :naughty: :biggthump ).

Talking now for the Karrimor, because they are really really really good (and I've got no experience with the other packs you've mentioned):
If you are gonna use it for buscraft: 45 ltr will do (some people over here try to take as little as 30 ltrs :yikes: ) - If the 45 ltr isn't enough, you can add the additional side pockets - with rations for example. (Ok, it's a bit more expensive - but the pack will serve you well!!) - as a bonus: you can make a day pack from the side pouches (with the yoke): for if you're gonna forage your local "woods" :wink:

A good dutch site with Karrimor packs is Countrystore (in Epe) - the guy who runs the store knows his stuff (and he is also using the Karrimor 45, so you can always e-mail him if you've got any questions, and above all: service is great!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
CLEM said:
Well what is the general opinion on Webtex products,especialy their rucksacks .They look to be good value for money,are they well made and long lasting ect.

I have a full size web-tex PLCE and other than being really stiff to begin with it does appear to be high quality... the zips can snag a little because they don't appear to be top quality but considerin the price, they don't seem to have cut too few corners.

I like it and although I can't comment on the smaller packs, the large one is good. Gary at Bearclaw sells them the cheapest I have seen (Only saw this AFTER I got mine :cry: )

D

dajak

Hi all, thanks for the feedback.
I think im going fore the Karrimor 45.
I emailed Jan Noorloos last week and he has one fore me for 100 euro.

Countrystore, i dont come ther anymore since Arend Huisman doesnt work there anymore.
I got a few great bargans from him a few years ago, great guy.
Since then the store was run by 2 woman with 0,0% knowledge of military and survival gear, rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

L

Little Mole

I do have one piece of advice. Try it on first. If it doesn't fit you very comfortably, don't buy it.

jakunen

Native
Little Mole said:
I do have one piece of advice. Try it on first. If it doesn't fit you very comfortably, don't buy it.

Very important tip Little Mole!

A friend asked me for some advice on boots and packs (I used to work in camping stores), then bought a pair without trying any on. He just saw a good deal in the shops. 1 day into the Cotswold Way he was crippled.

Try stuff in your local shop then buy online or whatever. Never buy blind.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
The Snugpak Rocket pack is similar to the Sabre but has pockets included,
But the snugpak has a very high back, designed so that belt webbing can be worn with it. The karrimor sabre on the other hand had a full length back.

:)
Ed

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Squidders said:
I have a full size web-tex PLCE and other than being really stiff to begin with it does appear to be high quality... the zips can snag a little because they don't appear to be top quality but considerin the price, they don't seem to have cut too few corners.

I like it and although I can't comment on the smaller packs, the large one is good. Gary at Bearclaw sells them the cheapest I have seen (Only saw this AFTER I got mine :cry: )
Reckon i shall have to have a jaw with Gary then. :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE