Chinese Army Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Had an idea about charcoal. When I was in china, there was a lot of coal salesmen wandering around with buckets full of charcoal on a yoke. These coal bricks where round and maybe 5-10 cms in diameter, wouldn't they fit perfectly in the little dish that goes inside the stove? People seemed to use these coal bricks extensively. Weird country btw, I loved it. Of course lighitng the coal dish would be a bit troublesome, but maybe with the help of meth or green heat? Ooops, now I got an even brighter idea, why not load the little fuel dish with shisha/hookah coal (usually found in arabian food shops)? Some varieties of that stuff has some kind of coating that makes it easy to light and burn evenly, they burn for a long time and really hot, with little smoke. Maybe not a practical solution in the long run, but fun to experiment with.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Had an idea about charcoal. When I was in china, there was a lot of coal salesmen wandering around with buckets full of charcoal on a yoke. These coal bricks where round and maybe 5-10 cms in diameter, wouldn't they fit perfectly in the little dish that goes inside the stove? People seemed to use these coal bricks extensively. Weird country btw, I loved it. Of course lighitng the coal dish would be a bit troublesome, but maybe with the help of meth or green heat? Ooops, now I got an even brighter idea, why not load the little fuel dish with shisha/hookah coal (usually found in arabian food shops)? Some varieties of that stuff has some kind of coating that makes it easy to light and burn evenly, they burn for a long time and really hot, with little smoke. Maybe not a practical solution in the long run, but fun to experiment with.

The charcoal bricks from China sound like our old fashioned coal briquettes, these were made from the coal dust, compresses into blocks, and they burned slow and even keeping a fire alight through the night.
The little charcoal discs are used to burn incense but they do work well in a little stove. The charcoal dust is compressed but the fast start stuff has saltpetre added and it makes a tremendous difference. You can make your own and half dip it in wax that has had saltpetre added, burns fast and a bit messy this way though.

cheers,
Toddy

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland

Charcoal disks used for burning incense are impregnated with Saltpetre to assist lighting, which makes for some interesting volcanic effects with the cheap stuff, I suspect the shisha coal will be the same.

Edit: Oops, cross post with Toddy :D

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Sure, she goes to HK and the mainland around there 2 or 3 times a year. Or her family do. I have told her to get a suitcase full of them and sell them on fleabay to help pay for flights. She stays out there with extended family so only really flights are a cost.

Nick

Army shop has moved 30 meters to the west, and is now 60 meters from the crossing. (on the other side of the street you can see the new CCTV tower (designed by an architect of R. Koolhaas)

-A one story building with a bright shop with quite a few shoes (in Chinese sizes), some coats (incl. the green army trench coat and rain poncho). some foldable knives/fork/spoons things (no foldable chopsticks)

-

can anyone tell me if the shop still exits?- as i'm planning to head this way soon i might find something useful for my planned trip instead of having to carry it from korea

Wow...

Realise that I completely forgot that I had tried that stove.

Well... tried it. Both as an alcy burner, hobo woodstove, esbit but it just didn't do it for me. Passed it on to somebody in Holland quite quickly.

Might be nice to play around with for stove addicts/enthousiasts.

Really nice thing was the possibility of steaming food (drill holes in steel plate of your zebra or similar....)

It is (presumably) standard (chinese) army issue so other shops might carry it too.....

Grtz Johan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE