• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden
mora makes a smaller knife primarly för woodworking which is a perfect size for children. There is a guard but only in the edge side. Even the sheat is good but a hairband/rangerband around it when the children gets older isn't a bad ide. Mora scout with its double gard or even worse the children version with double gard and blunt tip is something I doesn't like.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Is the handle of the OK4 smaller than the handles of the OK1 and Heavy duty GK???

I found them only once in a shop and don't know any more what was exactly the difference, because I did compare all the models Hultafors offers and just took in the end the best one.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
A finger guard is nice to have if you cut large pieces of cardboard for igniting the oven at home. I tend to push and pull alternating.

But for everything else the finger guard is useless or even often enough disturbing.

My impression is that I see in Scandinavic shops mainly the classic wood handle knifes and the plastic handle knifes in shops outside Scandinavia.

Rambo Rees

Aug 15, 2020
Anglesey
Is the handle of the OK4 smaller than the handles of the OK1 and Heavy duty GK???

I found them only once in a shop and don't know any more what was exactly the difference, because I did compare all the models Hultafors offers and just took in the end the best one.
Hi yes the OK1 and HD have bulkier handles (the e plastic kind rather than high grip kind on the OK 4)
I have taken photos of both to show the difference...but don't know how to post them on here?

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The photos I find in the internet.
I just didn't realise the different sizes.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I am still wondering where people got the idea that a knife made for work needs a guard of some kind?
For myself I am happy without a guard.

When I am teaching a group of children I prefer knives with a guard.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
While it is definitely possible to slip one's hand to the blade I have never seen it happen. #1 daughter just told me that in all her years of herding cub scouts that did not happen. That is even statistically a fair sample size. A lot of other mishaps but not that.

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
Hultafors craftsman is a good option for children (or anyone) its lighter and smaller than the ok4 series (which I love also!). I really love these tools but its nice to support Mora for keeping their production in Sweden

Sieddy

Nov 12, 2016
Oxford uk
Hultafors craftsman is a good option for children (or anyone) its lighter and smaller than the ok4 series (which I love also!). I really love these tools but its nice to support Mora for keeping their production in Sweden
Grind off the finger guard's tho! :)

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If I throw away nearly all I bought, I also simply could buy just a blade somewhere. Or a better knife.

I find to mention that Mora produces in Sweden is pretty important.

Knifes usually last a lifetime. Who can afford it can buy a knife which is made HERE.
(Whatever that should mean exactly.)

In this Dutch shop you find the country of origin always easily at the same place in the specifications:

Reactions: Rambo Rees

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden
I am still wondering where people got the idea that a knife made for work needs a guard of some kind?
I have it on all fixed blades knives that I use. First time icefishing in -15 made me like the guard a bit more than earlier.
For moras my guess is that the trails for the military came to the conclusion that the guard have a use and that one of the then largest customer wanted it made Mora make them.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
So my son is due to turn 10 in February. It's that time in young lads life.
Reading all the excellent opinions it would seem an SAK might not be the way to go? I remember my first with fondness. They are very useful for everyday but less so "in the field".
I suppose I need to consider what he'll actually use it for. Which is supervised whittling generally, but some everyday jobs too.
He won't take it out of the house unless we're together, but I'm considering the EDC nature of the sak. The opinel (not being a legal street carry), is another option.
If he were to carry it without either of us, there might be some awkward conversations with the authorities anyway! But the SAKs are dead handy with the range of blades. However I'm concerned about the blade-folding safety.
That said they're used by scouts and DofE.

He's been using my Companion for a while but finds it a little big and tiring. The size of the handle and blade length being the issue.
His knife safety is pretty good and I wouldn't recommend an SAK for whittling anyway.
Maybe I'm overthinking the "rite of passage first knife"?
So, handy folder with the proviso of not using it for whittling, or fixed?
He's going to cut himself whatever, I did, it's part of the process!

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
That is a culture dependent thing, it might have more meaning where knives are considered more weaponlike, not so where they are everyday tools. That might even change from county to county.

I vote for a fixed blade and a small SAK, they serve very different purposes.

z_bumbi

Tenderfoot
Apr 22, 2016
Linköping, Sweden
So my son is due to turn 10 in February. It's that time in young lads life.
Reading all the excellent opinions it would seem an SAK might not be the way to go? I remember my first with fondness. They are very useful for everyday but less so "in the field".
I suppose I need to consider what he'll actually use it for. Which is supervised whittling generally, but some everyday jobs too.
He won't take it out of the house unless we're together, but I'm considering the EDC nature of the sak. The opinel (not being a legal street carry), is another option.
If he were to carry it without either of us, there might be some awkward conversations with the authorities anyway! But the SAKs are dead handy with the range of blades. However I'm concerned about the blade-folding safety.
That said they're used by scouts and DofE.

He's been using my Companion for a while but finds it a little big and tiring. The size of the handle and blade length being the issue.
His knife safety is pretty good and I wouldn't recommend an SAK for whittling anyway.
So, handy folder with the proviso of not using it for whittling, or fixed?
He's going to cut himself whatever, I did, it's part of the process!

Victorinox Hiker or farmer. They works for whittling, its the stabby, making holes and probing parts that a non locking knive is bad at. If multitools are legal thats something that is a pretty good option.

A mora-sized fixed blade. (I know that that mora-size isn't that precise but it gives an ide)

Reactions: Brizzlebush

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE