• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
That is a culture dependent thing, it might have more meaning where knives are considered more weaponlike, not so where they are everyday tools. That might even change from county to county.

I vote for a fixed blade and a small SAK, they serve very different purposes.
Thanks, that's kinda where I was at too.

Rambo Rees

Aug 15, 2020
Anglesey
The Victorinox are a bit dangerous, because they can snap on the finger.

I got my first one in the age of 6 and never did hurt myself with it. But I recommend the Opinel No6 Carbone, because this knife is made for the hand size of children, the blade isn't so long and after it got whet a bit the rust at the blade where it touches the wood of the handle makes a higher friction, so it becomes more secure.

My brother is a vegetable grower and here are flying a lot of No7 stainless around and I really hate them. It's no problem to sharpen them but in my opinion the friction is too low.

The Mora Companion has a far too large handle, even for a ten years old boy.
My nephew tried it out but returned to the Opinel No7 after we spoke about this point. He could take the Mora Companion or the Hultafors OK 4 but he takes the Opinel No7 which is even too large for him, because he lost his No6.

In my opinion the best option is a usual bushcraft knife with usual proportion but in small size.
I had such a knife since I was 5 years old and it was very convincing. I prefered to use it and not the Victorinox Spartan as long as I was a child.

The proportions of the Opinel No 6 are ideal in my opinion for a six years old child but I would prefere to gift such a knife as a fix blade version.

I was many years a boy scout leader too and do not see any reason for a round tip. They really are pointless in my opinion.

They are surely nice as breakfast knifes if the jam glass is nearly empty. But totally nonsense as first all purpose knifes.

Opinel sells the No6 since many decades.
The handle is sized for 5 to 10 years old children.

The relatively new No7 round tip stainless versions are sized for 12 years old people who perhaps better should get a flexible plastic spoon, because it's too late anyway...

An interesting knife for older children which I only know from the internet is the Schnitzel Du.

In the end we went with the Scnitzel DU. Bpught on Germany's Amazon thanks Erbswurst It's a

But there are other knifes too which surely would be a good option, for example the LionSteel M1-GOR.

In the end we went with the Schnitzel DU. Bought on Germany's Amazon thanks Erbswurst and everyone for your thoughts.
The Schnitzel DU is a superb little knife with perfect proportions. Thoroughly recommend

Reactions: Erbswurst

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
In the end we went with the Schnitzel DU. Bought on Germany's Amazon thanks Erbswurst and everyone for your thoughts.
The Schnitzel DU is a superb little knife with perfect proportions. Thoroughly recommend

Just had a look at it, seems a nice knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Potatohead

Jul 1, 2020
Surrey... near a tree :)
My Eldest turns 10 in January and hes getting the exact same knife he sees his old man carrying and using all the time.....
.....with a little bit of customisation ;)

Same age i got my first pocket knife from my grandad.

IMG_20210101_152828.jpg

IMG_20210101_152752.jpg

Obviously itll come with a strict set of rules until he's learnt to use it safely.
Im a firm believer that a slipjoint under correct safe supervision ingrains a safer correct basic technique/habit.

Rambo Rees

Aug 15, 2020
Anglesey
My Eldest turns 10 in January and hes getting the exact same knife he sees his old man carrying and using all the time.....
.....with a little bit of customisation ;)

Same age i got my first pocket knife from my grandad.

View attachment 63403

View attachment 63402

Obviously itll come with a strict set of rules until he's learnt to use it safely.
Im a firm believer that a slipjoint under correct safe supervision ingrains a safer correct basic technique/habit.
That's cool man, the engraving is a lovely touch. Out of curiosity which Boker+ model is it?
I think there's something in your lodgic re. slipjoints..... I imagine most of us had folders as our first knives. Mostly crap ones in my case, from anywhere I could get my hands on one. My first proper knife - a lovely carbon bladed I*XL (which I still have) was a revelation.
Gary Moore once said that gutarists cut their teeth on rubbish guitars and then when they finally get a decent one they find the playing easy. The same can't be said of knives. They need to be decent ones....from the outset. I learnt nothing using rubbish knives with the sharpness of a fence post.
I guess in conclusion there is no such thing as one knife to rule them all. We all carry differing knives for differing purposes.
....I have just convinced myself to get my lad a folding Opinel as well

Potatohead

Jul 1, 2020
@Rambo Rees ”That's cool man, the engraving is a lovely touch. Out of curiosity which Boker+ model is it?”

Hi buddy
It’s a Boker Plus Tech Tool 6.
basically a beefed up SAK without going full Leatherman.

I briefly tried the ‘7’ with the scissors but it made it too bulky for edc general pocket carry, with not much benefit.

ive got one ready for my younger boy too. But not yet.

with the engraving I am hoping for it to be a lifetime partner for my son.

Reactions: Rambo Rees

Rambo Rees

Aug 15, 2020
Anglesey
UPDATE:
HI All. Just thought I'd post a little update. We have found that the Schnitzel knife we bought is just too big for my sons 6 year old hands (clue was in the description, suitable for 10 year olds! Mea Culpa).
So...I had a £7 stainless Hultafors that as discussed previously in this thread was too big...handle wise in particular.
I just took a belt sander, lodged in a vise to the handle....sanded it down and ground the spine, with a lot of water and a bench grinder... shortening the blade and giving a more Bushcraft style profile. It has come out quite well I think (this is the first knife handle I have reprofiled).
I think I have managed to attach a photo.
I kept the (now massive) guard as it's the tip of which retains the knife in the scabbard.
I may attempt to make a leather sheath and sand the guard down.
Anyway a child's knife for £7 and a couple of hours work methinks

Attachments

• IMG_20210226_202002.jpg
    IMG_20210226_202002.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210226_202119.jpg
    IMG_20210226_202119.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 12

Rambo Rees

Aug 15, 2020
Anglesey
.....forgot to mention I smoothed some areas with a file and went through the sandpaper grades from coarse to fine to finish the handle....IMG_20210226_202237.jpg

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Good idea!

I ask myself if the large finger guard isn't disturbing. Perhaps it would be better if it looks like at the plastic handle Moras?

Perhaps you should buy him an Opinel No6 Carbone and let him compare both.

For finer carving he could use the Opinel for harder tasks your design.

Rambo Rees

Aug 15, 2020
Anglesey
Hi, yes I agree, the frankly huge guard may likely be prohibitive and the opinels are great for whittling etc.
I think the guard may have to go...Anyone have any experience of moulding kydex? May be an option rather than making a leather sheath.... if it's not a huge ffaff

Rambo Rees

Aug 15, 2020
Anglesey
Never seen anyone do that to a plastic handle but I think the outcome might be worth it. :thumbsup:
Thanks, yes it's worked out well I think - and has made use of what we had till he grows into the Schnitzel we bought him.
I think that sanding down has also created a nicer and grippier handle, a bit more rubberised in texture.

Potatohead

Jul 1, 2020
My general EDC on the right.
My eldests (10y) on the left. (With the 'O' and also had the blade engraved)
Boker plus tech tool 6's
A sturdier beefed up version of a SAK without being cumbersome.
Less than £50 from HH.

He loves having one 'just like dads' and both boys are used to seeing me use it a lot.

Everything you need for fun with sticks in the woods :cool:

For maximum versatility for woodcraft i would recommend at least.

Main Blade.
Saw.
Awl.

These have a great serrated 'draw cut' blade which is good for safely cutting string and opening boxes without depolying the main blade.
The saw is very efficient.
The main blade is a good size and sandvik. 12C27 steel.

Mine has been a faithful general edc for years. I never go out without it.

1614418500288362998651685584494.jpg

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
@Rambo Rees I modified my user HVK by cutting the guard off as i found it got in the way, but by doing so you lose the retention in the sheath as you rightly say, all i did was to put a loop of 3mm shock cord under the flap on the sheath, this loops over the knife handle and secures it in the sheath, you can make it out in this piccie on my Instagram (sorry cant post pics on here at the moment) https://www.instagram.com/p/CKJ37WbDDFI/

Rambo Rees

Aug 15, 2020
Anglesey
@Rambo Rees I modified my user HVK by cutting the guard off as i found it got in the way, but by doing so you lose the retention in the sheath as you rightly say, all i did was to put a loop of 3mm shock cord under the flap on the sheath, this loops over the knife handle and secures it in the sheath, you can make it out in this piccie on my Instagram (sorry cant post pics on here at the moment) https://www.instagram.com/p/CKJ37WbDDFI/
Hi, afraid I don't have an Instagram account. Did you secure the shock cord inside the belt loop, or inside that triangular thumb piece. Pic below.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE