• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
The Mora Companion has a far too large handle, even for a ten years old boy.

You had best go and tell all of the Forest Schools and organisations that teach the younger generation then, as most, if not all of the ones i have worked with use the Companion without any problems

Last edited:
Reactions: gra_farmer and Stew

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
A knife handle just cannot be two sizes at the same time. I think I have one companion, the handle is long enough for an adult man and maybe slightly smaller than average dia but I don't think it is small enough for an eight year old.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
A knife handle just cannot be two sizes at the same time. I think I have one companion, the handle is long enough for an adult man and maybe slightly smaller than average dia but I don't think it is small enough for an eight year old.

as I said previously, they seem to work ok at the teaching establishments I've worked with, likewise my two never had a problem with the Clipper, dunno if it's a smaller handle compared to the Companion, but they used them through childhood and still use their Clippers with no issues whatsoever to this day.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
We issued Mora Classic No1, reduced with sand paper the diameter of the handles after we had wrapped Tesa Krepp painter's tape around the blades, and covered the sheath in thin bright leather, folded over the rim of the sheath, to compensate the thinner diametres of the handle. The whole leather was glued to the sheath with Pattex.
The sheath was sewn at the back and got a new classical Scandinavian thin leather belt loop. The children did that themselves of course.

That worked well, and it looked lovely, but these knifes had been too big for children younger than 12 years in my opinion. I liked the size, but was 185 cm tall!

Nowadays most German boy scouts use Opinel Carbone No6 to No 8 depending on the age.
One reason is surely that the hip belts of modern rucksacks don't work well together with belt knifes. The Opinel knifes are outstanding light and sharp but very cheap.
----------------------------

They all take always everywhere the Mora Compagnion because it cuts and is relatively cheap. That's all.

The Morakniv Scout is Mora's idea of a children's knife: 8,4 cm blade length!

Would I buy it, I would eliminate that fighting knife parade element. A scout knife has to be a food preparation and carving knife too.
Such a parade element and food preparation on a chopping board don't go well together.

Last edited:

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
People do have different size hands admittedly and and kids a surprisingly adaptable but there are limits. For the children using the knives proper size handle might make the difference.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Whilst bigger knives might be happily used by kids they might not be the best. Just because all the schools use a certain knife doesn't make it the best just that it has other qualities such as price and can be bulk bought even cheaper that make schools buy them.

Also there's no best knife only the knife you have. Whatever you buy fit a child they'll use as they don't know anything when young first introduce them to knives. A knife that can do the job and they can hold to do the job is good enough surely?

Perhaps a better option is to lo at you knife collection and pick a few options and try them out?? Before you buy their first knife teach them how you use one and find out which of your knives best suits them. Then after they've learnt a bit you buy their first knife based on the one they got on with the best.

That last advice was based on my partner telling me not to buy his first knife just let him try what we've got. I had no answer to it because it's simply the right approach.

We have SAK, opinels of various sizes and blade materials, a nice Oyo brothers locking folder, Mora clipper of some kind and possibly something else lying around. The smaller opinel is likely to be the best option. There's a 6 or 7 with a broken tip. He'll probably start on that.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I bought myself an Opinel as a Scout, I bought lots of other cheaper penknives too and a Mora Scout too.
I bought my son an Opinel No 6 when he joined Cubs and it is the knife I recommend parents buy for their cub age children.
I bought my son a Mora Scout knife, when he became a scout, although I take the point about the guard, my view is that they will spend more time cutting sticks then food prep, which whilst more difficult is still safe.
I’m about to buy my daughter her first Opinel.

I like that they can be locked shut and need a positive action to lock/unlock them. Once locked they seem to be able to do most things you (most children)would do with a fixed blade no battening though .

I have opened tins with mine, which always impresses the kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
I still have the scar from my first knife when I was 6, it folded down on that skin between the index finger and thumb. Lots of blood but never showed it to parents as I knew it would likely be my last knife for a while.

So a nice fixed - The Mora basic 511.
It has a grippy handle with decent sized blade guard and if you wanted to be extra safe file/grind a radius at the tip. You can pick em up for £7 too, which is nice.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I tend to teach Cubs to use a knife with a Mora Scout 39 this is the safe version

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Agree. Remembering my own childhood knife use; I have never stabbed myself and only suffered slicing wounds to the fingers.

We had one of our Scouts sever a tendon sticking a mora 511 in his hand using in just the way he was told not to of course

Hunkyfunkster

Mar 2, 2015
Loch Lomond
Both my girls have the rounded tip hultafors safety knife. They've used them for s couple of years now. I highly recommend any of the hultafors knives to anyone. Great quality and usually cheaper than a mora too

Reactions: Rambo Rees

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The Hultafors knives are cheaper because they are made in Taiwan, not in Sweden like the Mora knives, but they are made in a good quality.

I have the OK 4 and it is really good for the price. But in my opinion it has a handle size which can be used well beginning with the age of 12 or 14.

An even cheaper version of it is the Heavy Duty GK. Surely one of the best low budged options on the world market.

Reactions: Rambo Rees

Rambo Rees

Aug 15, 2020
Anglesey
Both my girls have the rounded tip hultafors safety knife. They've used them for s couple of years now. I highly recommend any of the hultafors knives to anyone. Great quality and usually cheaper than a mora too
Totally agree Re Hultafors range. For my hand the standard handles fit better than any of the Moras.
The OK4 is one of my favourite knives, even in comparison with my Lars Fält or F1 it's one of the most ergonomic knives and the one I grab most often. Also at around £17 you tend not to over care for it

Rambo Rees

Aug 15, 2020
Anglesey
The Hultafors knives are cheaper because they are made in Taiwan, not in Sweden like the Mora knives, but they are made in a good quality.

I have the OK 4 and it is really good for the price. But in my opinion it has a handle size which can be used well beginning with the age of 12 or 14.

An even cheaper version of it is the Heavy Duty GK. Surely one of the best low budged options on the world market.
Yes....The HD GK and OK3 have the larger handles (too chunky for me but ideal for larger hands

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE