Children and knifes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
nickg said:
I'm 52, the knife that I am making cut me yesterday, soooo, If i cut myself with a knife am I too young to be trusted with one?

I have scars on my hands from all kinds of thoughtless actions with blades (including a cracker on my left palm gained trying to return {unfix} my bayonet to its scabbard, behind my back, with a rifle clamped between my knees. on a parade square - how mature is that??) I do guarantee that no two scars were recieved in the same way and thats the best education I can think of for safe knife handling.

There is no minimum age but there is a requirement to continue to use the knife, and learn from that constant useage how to stay safe, I personally stress that it is a lifetime learning curve.

Im not sure what yesterday's lesson taught me though.

Cheers Nick

Hi Nick

I guess what I'm thinking is even with the right safety training is a 5/ 6/ 7/ 8 year old mature enough to make a decision on what is safe and what isn't? Even teenagers do silly things.

garbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2006
uk
great thread got me thinking

I would have been about six when i had my first knife, I can remember we all had them at junior school (kept hidden from adults though " they must have trained us that way" ) it had no edge on it, I doubt it would cut string, real cheap thing' great for spreading jam though.
Mum tought me to use a knife, first cutting up chips, then peeling the spuds, buttering bread peeling carrots, apples etc, you get the picture. you dont need a razor sharp knife for any of those things, and you progress untill they let you carve the sunday roast. mmmm maybe this is'nt going to work today
It never crossed my mind to use it as a weapon, I did'nt want it taken of me, so it was kept hidden even in the fights i got into, I suspect
but another of my jobs as a kid was getting up early to light the fire, I have always enjoyed that,
I guess what I am saying is, we should have time to teach and enjoy our children like our parents did, not park them in front of the tv, also to cut them some slack, there seems to be a lot of expectation of them these days

D

Deleted member 4605

bent-stick said:
There's loads of material in this thread already. Wish I had time to put it into a proper tutorial...

BOD said:
I for one would really appreciate a tutorial on this.

BOD said:
Such a tutorial on good knife teaching practice might be one of the best contributions on knife safety that BCUK could make

I've approached Tony about turning this thread into an article for the website and/or magazine. Any tips will be credited so keep posting!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
nickg said:
I'm 52, the knife that I am making cut me yesterday, soooo, If i cut myself with a knife am I too young to be trusted with one?

Im not sure what yesterday's lesson taught me though.

Cheers Nick

Don't worry Nick, that doesn't count. I cut myself FAR more when making knives than I have ever done using them! :rolleyes: Pobably coz I know how sharp my knives and other cutting tools tend to be, so i keep well clear of the edges :D

And if you have learnt from that lesson, then you are a better man than I :eek:

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Cameron is getting to grips with the spoon knife now and should have his first spoon done next time he comes to stay. Here's a couple of pictures. I have encouraged him to use my spoon carving horse for safety as it gives stability to the workpiece and keeps little fingers out of the way of flashing blades.

cam1.jpg

cam2.jpg

cam3.jpg

cam4.jpg

Eric

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Thanks for the pics Eric, I've not seen a spoon carving horse before - looks like a good bit of kit. Spoon knives are particulary dangerous I would say due to the awkward angles and holds needed so the horse would really help - another one to add to the ever-growing projects list!

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Big John said:
Thanks for the pics Eric, I've not seen a spoon carving horse before - looks like a good bit of kit. Spoon knives are particulary dangerous I would say due to the awkward angles and holds needed so the horse would really help - another one to add to the ever-growing projects list!

No probs mate. Can you see how it works from the photos? The log on the top has a piece of broom shank inserted about six inches into the end grain and that goes through a hole in the horse bed. That way you can swivel the log to get the best angle.

Let me know if you have any questions about it's construction. Same goes for anyone else.

Eric

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I gave my children knives when they were 10 - 11 when they moved up from cubs to scouts. Before that I let them use my knives, under supervision for whittling etc and in the kitchen, since they were 5 - 6. Peeling potatoes and fruit and carving potato shapes is very good for learning the manual dexterity needed for knife handling. I felt that by the age of 10 - 11 their hands were strong enough and they were responsible enough to be given a knife.

My son is now 15 and is responsible enough to help me with chores like cutting and splitting firewood. I have taught him knife and tool care and maintenance and I think he is safe with a knife if he is with other responsible adults or on his own. He has forgottten that he was carrying a knife, which he did in Bodo airport on our return from holiday ! Luckily he remembered in time to put it in the checked in bags. This was despite my giving him several reminders whilst we were packing.

I don't like him to carry his knife if he is with other teenagers, unless it is at scout camp, but there can be problems here also. Last year he took part in a Scout Jamboree, he had to meet the rest of the patrol at the bus stop in the nearby town. Whilst waiting for the bus, one of the other lads asks what knives they are bringing to the camp. All the boys reach into their rucksacs and sporrans and bring out an assortment of blades. This is whilst standing at the bus stop in the middle of town during the knife amnesty ! I shouted at them to put everthing away until they reached the camp!!
Like everyone else here I think it is important to teach the responsible and safe use of knives in a positive way and we also have to remember that boys will be boys.
Regards,
Doug.

xairbourne

Jan 10, 2006
Pontypool
www.youtube.com
Kids!

I had to tell my Dad off when he came out with us. He still managed to cut himself(with an axe) So the best thing i could do in that situation was tell on him let Mum sort him out...lol :lmao:

garbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 16, 2006
uk
Thats what I like to see a young lad gainfully employed making christmas prezies for all the family
but whats wrong with this picture a deprived child maybe no hoodie no can of diamond white how's he supposed to get his asbo's or named in the young ofenders register I blame the parents . forced to whittle spoons when he should be out stealing cars and burning sheds has he no "x box"

seriously great pics you must be proud of him

and I bet he can spell better than me

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
garbo said:
Thats what I like to see a young lad gainfully employed making christmas prezies for all the family
but whats wrong with this picture a deprived child maybe no hoodie no can of diamond white how's he supposed to get his asbo's or named in the young ofenders register I blame the parents . forced to whittle spoons when he should be out stealing cars and burning sheds has he no "x box"

seriously great pics you must be proud of him

and I bet he can spell better than me

He loves it all! He comes away with me any time I'm doin' stuff. When I'm doin' a show and I make him get dressed up as a medaeval peasant child, he lives and acts like one - shoots a really mean bow as well - and I pay him for doin' it, because it's 'work'.

When we're doing bushcrafty stuff he doesn't get anything other than a great experience and an opportunity to fish, canoe, sleep in his hammock and generally have a good time. He doesn't have time for asbos or nickin' stuff. If more parents/grandparents kept their kids busy/interested/occupied, there wouldn't be half the problems there are.

This country needs bootcamps!

Eric

pollitt

Jan 1, 2007
Dover, Kent, UK
Some great thaughts in here and it got me thinking back to when i first started using a knives, in truth i don't remember when! My parents were always anti-air rifle/BB guns but they didnt have an issue with me using knives (or not that i noticed) I started using knives probably at about 7 or 8, making models and using a craft knife but also to make stuff at beavers and cubs such as marshmellow sticks for the camp fire.

I do remember my first knife though, was from my grandfather and he gave me an old WW2 British army knife that i kept sharp (with a bit of help), clean and used it for years, loved it. Unfortuniatly it went walkies while camping out with air cadets not long ago and is sorely missed. Looking to find another one at a bootfair or somewhere that i can replace it with.

Stuart

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Dave Budd said:
Don't worry Nick, that doesn't count. I cut myself FAR more when making knives than I have ever done using them! :rolleyes: Pobably coz I know how sharp my knives and other cutting tools tend to be, so i keep well clear of the edges :D

And if you have learnt from that lesson, then you are a better man than I :eek:

Wow thanks for that - I feel a bit better about myself now.

I actually made a knife for my daughter to carry at the WG in 2005 she was 10 then, and she amazed me but not cutting herself once or since. I know that the answer is not in the age of the child but in their general attitude towards things and their natural dexterity. Having said that when I gave her the knife I fully expected a disaster to the point that I carried a well selected FAK on my belt all the time. Perhaps I/WE need more training in kids than they do in knife handling.
I dunno

Cheers
Nick

Pipistrelle

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2006
England (North West)
We teach younsters to trust themselves with a knife, we use stiff folders, which most children can't get open without some help to begin with and start from scratch. The knives are given out responsibly and carried on a short walk before using them, the children are told the knives will be taken off them if they fiddle with them on the walk. If a child is seen fiddling the knife is taken away, with an explanation and the child is told to ask for the knife back when they can be trusted to carry it properly. The child will generally take a few minutes to think/sulk before they ask for the knife back, this process continues until the child succeeds in carrying it correctly..... the most important bit of the lesson is to not cause an issue of the process, after all children will learn the lesson better if it is kept positive and has defined boundaries.

Then we teach with good example, practical demo's and generally the children are far more safety conscious than the adults we teach and will help each other do the task safely. This is of course an incredibly simplified summary.

Each time we use the knives we have set rules, which we run through as a bit of a game, we run through what happens if we cut ovrselves etc.

Eric that spoon vice thingy is great :tongue-ti , what a great idea! I get the general idea and chance of getting a quick sketch of the thing and how it works? or photos of its parts? So I can make one!!![/SIZE]

I have cut myself many times on knives, swords, saws and axes over the years and each scar I have (has with a little reflection) taught me that I did it wrong and how. It took many cuts before I knew what sharp was, and how much easier sharp tools worked.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
I got my first knife when I was 8. I was a small locking folder with a blade of 4 cm. It wasn't really sharp, but it thought me how to use a knife. I didn't get cut by it as far as I can remember. When you first get a knife, you're careful because you don't want to hurt yourself. Later on you start to pay less attention because you think you know how to handle a knife. That's when you cut yourself.
My nephew is 10 years old and I'm going to give him a knife soon. I think it will be an opinel or a SAK. I'm going to teach him how to use a knife and learn him it's a tool, not a weapon. He can only use it when me or his dad is with him.
I'm looking forward to it allready!

Michiel

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Pipistrelle said:
Eric that spoon vice thingy is great , what a great idea! I get the general idea and chance of getting a quick sketch of the thing and how it works? or photos of its parts? So I can make one!!![

I'll do a drawing if you like along with an explanation. I'll do it as a tutorial then everyone will see it, rather than tag it on to the end of this thread.

Give me a couple of days do do the drawings. There will be the one in the pictures above and a portable one that can be carried in a backpack.

Eric

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Your quite right Pipstrelle, a lot of accidents happen when carrying, so it pays to know how to do it properly.

Last night I was in the kitchens of my pet Indian resteraunt, watching the cook slice onions with astounding rapidity.

(chinese ones are the same)

I have never seen european chefs cut quite so fast, I guess its because they learn from an early age

Pipistrelle

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2006
England (North West)
Eric_Methven said:
I'll do a drawing if you like along with an explanation. I'll do it as a tutorial then everyone will see it, rather than tag it on to the end of this thread.

Give me a couple of days do do the drawings. There will be the one in the pictures above and a portable one that can be carried in a backpack.

Eric

Fantastic Eric, that would be grand.... my crook knife has always liked to bite when I am holding wood to bowl a spoon and I end up wearing a leather thimble or looking for bits of knuckle. I have especial problems with dual grain woods like yew from soft to hard, hard to soft but I love the finish you get with yew.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Used a knife in some ways as far as I can remember, was given one, of my own responsability, by the age of 6?. I knew a knife could cut by that time, so was carefull and as most here continued to cut wood, rope, fish, leather, meat, hide...me and learnt as I grew older. Up to the ability of the parent (mentor) to show properly, the child will emulate his elder (think about it) and he/she will get cut (suck it up and learn). My grand children will use knives with me or their other grandad or their father before they are given one but they will learn how to properly use and think of how it is used, as well as an ax before being teenagers.

Boosh

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
The New Forest
My girls are 8 and 9 years, they just got thier first pocket knife for christmas this year. It was a swiss army type, to be honest though i'd rather they had a lock knife or a fixed blade to minimise the blade shutting down on thier fingers.

I've let them use my slightly larger knives for about a year now, but they are shown the safe way to handle a knife. They happily sit there whittling away at stuff over the forest and know not to mess about with them.

Some have frowned when i have told them i let the girls use my knives, but i know that if they p[ick a knife up they know how to use one safely. Rather that than them pick up a knife for the first time when they are an adult and have an accident through misuse!

Boosh.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE