Children and knifes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
But nowadays you have special throwing knives for that.

Looking at this in a wider context, how many kids these days (out of say, woodwork classes) get to know how to use tools properly?

D

Deleted member 4605

Tengu said:
Looking at this in a wider context, how many kids these days (out of say, woodwork classes) get to know how to use tools properly?

Or to paraphrase it: how many kids these days get to know how to do anything properly?

Everything these days is quick, easy results. Look at all the homework websites!

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
When I worked at college I found you could tell a lot baout a student by the way they handled tools. The ones who brandished anything vaguely resembling a knife, chisel, screwdriver etc. some saw all tools as a weapon first and a tool second! I think the earlier a child is introduced to tools PROPERLY the better their attitude to most things. Look at our kids at meet ups, most have their own knife and know how to use them properly, or safely at least, I think it says a lot about the people on this forum and bushcrafti people in general about how we look at life and what are priorities.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
willowherb said:
the only time i cut myself as a boy was when i thought id try throwing it because id seen it done on tv.how many here tried that as a kid?

Guilty hand goes up :eek: , I never hurt myself but it was a very silly thing to do.

D

Deleted member 4605

willowherb said:
the only time i cut myself as a boy was when i thought id try throwing it because id seen it done on tv.how many here tried that as a kid?

Never cut myself but a I did waste the (what I now know to be incredibly low quality) Bowie/Rambo style knife I was practising throwing with. Then I got some real throwing knives... :)

Of course these days I treat my knives with a lot more respect. I don't wrap them in cotton wool though - knives are made to be used, not looked at (which is why I won't be buying a RM/AW Woodlore!).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We had a set of *real* throwing knives :rolleyes: My dad looked at them with disdain and said, "Circus stuff!" Picked them up and neatly spliced them all into a circle twenty feet away that I could cover with the palm of my hand :eek: He said it was all in the focus, fix your eye on the spot and don't lose it. We got pretty good with those. Then an aunt threw a flakie and they were confiscated :( never saw them again.

I like your approach Goose :approve: anything that makes us think about what we think we know is a good thing.
Maybe it's time for a good child's tutorial, including the safety, maintainance and courtesy aspects of knife use.

Cheers,
Toddy

D

Deleted member 4605

Toddy said:
Maybe it's time for a good child's tutorial, including the safety, maintainance and courtesy aspects of knife use.

I'm sure Tony would love to run one in the magazine.

With our Wolf Cubs we start off by sitting down and discussing knives and their dangers, then we get them to draw a knife safety poster to fix what we've just discussed in their heads. When we let them loose with real blades they are taught how to open and close them safely (we use No.7 Opinels with rounded tips), how to pass them around (closed of course), how to cut (away from them), how to hold the object they're cutting (we start them off on soap) and finally to put them down whenever they're not cutting - i.e. when we're speaking to them. They're supervised constantly in small groups, and everyone has to work at the same pace. Anyone who messes around, or struggles with any aspect (e.g. opening and closing them) won't be allowed to use them for a few months.

We take a similar approach with Scouts (unless they've come up through Cubs, but even then they have to do a 'refresher') except we use wood for the whittling and we also discuss various types of knives and the legality aspects.

In the coming term I'm going to introducing my Scouts to a simplified version of Mor's try stick, as well as getting them to make a whistle and a catapult using some of the cuts - you can only whittle so many tent pegs! These will mainly be done by the older Scouts so the younger ones have something to look forward to/work towards.

Reactions: bent-stick

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Rather than a tutorial for kids, how about a tutorial for adults on how to introduce kids. Great stuff from schwuk and goose. Both repped. :You_Rock_

There's loads of material in this thread already. Wish I had time to put it into a proper tutorial...

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
It might be worth using wooden "knives" and playing "when it slips,where is the blade going to go?" games.Use all the common self destruction scenarios that you can think of. :)

D

Deleted member 4605

loz. said:
Could someone explain a Mor's try stick

Bushcraft Magazine Issue 2, page 11-17.

The purpose behind the try stick is to practice and demonstrate the skilful use of the knife as a wood carving tool, as well as to learn some of the practical operations that may be used in wilderness living. Some of the carving operations may be of very practical application, others are meant to tax the skill of the carver and some may be for decorative purposes.

CheeseMonster

Forager
Dec 11, 2006
Shropshire
My first knife I had to beg my parents to let me have it, had a bottle opener and a blade which had to be under 3cm. I still managed to cut myself with it within an hour, just wasn't playing attention and ended up with a cut on my thumb. That shocked me at how easy it was to cut yourself with a knife (durr!) and I've never drawn blood with a knife since.

I was about 12 max when I got it.

I think it's different for different children, maturity comes a lot earlier to some but I think with the right supervision and instruction you can reduce risk of injury. They'll prob cut themselves at some point but with the right advice should hopefully only be a nick which should if anything reinforce your advice :)

D

Deleted member 4605

BorderReiver said:
It might be worth using wooden "knives" and playing "when it slips,where is the blade going to go?" games.

That could be a good one for the Cubs, and I could get the Scouts to make the wooden knives for them.

Hmmm.... :)

DZ-Y

Aug 9, 2006
Netherlands
willowherb said:

Good grief! I remeber having destroyed at least 4 knives that way (including a throwing knife) :)

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
I'm 52, the knife that I am making cut me yesterday, soooo, If i cut myself with a knife am I too young to be trusted with one?

I have scars on my hands from all kinds of thoughtless actions with blades (including a cracker on my left palm gained trying to return {unfix} my bayonet to its scabbard, behind my back, with a rifle clamped between my knees. on a parade square - how mature is that??) I do guarantee that no two scars were recieved in the same way and thats the best education I can think of for safe knife handling.

There is no minimum age but there is a requirement to continue to use the knife, and learn from that constant useage how to stay safe, I personally stress that it is a lifetime learning curve.

Im not sure what yesterday's lesson taught me though.

Cheers Nick

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I have to say I had a bit of an obsession with knives when I was a little kid, but it wasnt unhealthy or unsafe - other parents probarbly thought so though - I just liked collecting and occaisionally using. I kinda admired my dad for having a penknife I guess and I wanted to own one like him. I musta been 7 or 8 odd I think.

My dad engrained alot of safety issues and what-not-to-do with a knife into my head, so I used the knife with come control. From time to time I did nick myself with knives, but I soon got over doing it and felt pretty proud for being so sensible. There was a certain satisfaction in having a knife when there was a need for it though.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
bent-stick said:
Rather than a tutorial for kids, how about a tutorial for adults on how to introduce kids. ...
There's loads of material in this thread already. Wish I had time to put it into a proper tutorial...

I for one would really appreciate a tutorial on this. My 8 year old is doing okay but the 7 year old wants to follow suit but is a leftie and a bit clumsy and I am worried.

Most of us can work out the basics of teaching but ideas like using soap to whittle never occurred to me.

Such a tutorial on good knife teaching practice might be one of the best contributions on knife safety that BCUK could make

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE