Children and knifes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Deleted member 4605

Boosh said:
Some have frowned when i have told them i let the girls use my knives, but i know that if they p[ick a knife up they know how to use one safely. Rather that than them pick up a knife for the first time when they are an adult and have an accident through misuse!

I've had similar conversations with parent of Cubs who weren't happy with their "precious little babies" playing with matches and knives, but once we explained the benefits most (but not all) were happy.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Just an observation, my wife comes from a city background and has only ever used knives in the kitchen, she is forever cutting herself. Im sure that if she had learnt general knife skills at an earlier age a lot less blood would have been spilt over the years.

Emma

Forager
Nov 29, 2004
Hampshire/Sussex
swagman said:
I guess what I'm thinking is even with the right safety training is a 5/ 6/ 7/ 8 year old mature enough to make a decision on what is safe and what isn't? Even teenagers do silly things.
I've been thinking about this, and my thoughts so far are... a 5/6/7/8-year-old is, I think, still doing a lot of learning by copying their parents and peers, so introducing knives and knife safety at this age is a good idea since they will copy you without thinking much about it, and sensible knife handling will become ingrained, and they will take your attitude to knives, which is hopefully that they are tools only. Also, kids that age will spend almost all their time either close to or with an adult or two, so that if something bad happens, there is no time lost in finding out and doing something about it. Not only that, but when they are still young they are much more likely to scream or seek help from an adult than a teenager is.
And you say "even teenagers do silly things", well hell, even adults do silly things. There are several threads on these forums alone that testify to that, and we all like to think we know what we're doing. In my (very limited) experience, kids are far more likely to seek help for stupid injuries than teenagers or adults.

I think it boils down to - do you want your kids to cut themselves for the first time when you are likely to be nearby to sort them out, or when they're on their own and trying to be independent of you.

Reactions: Deleted member 4605

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
Emma said:
I've been thinking about this, and my thoughts so far are... a 5/6/7/8-year-old is, I think, still doing a lot of learning by copying their parents and peers, so introducing knives and knife safety at this age is a good idea since they will copy you without thinking much about it, and sensible knife handling will become ingrained, and they will take your attitude to knives, which is hopefully that they are tools only. Also, kids that age will spend almost all their time either close to or with an adult or two, so that if something bad happens, there is no time lost in finding out and doing something about it. Not only that, but when they are still young they are much more likely to scream or seek help from an adult than a teenager is.
And you say "even teenagers do silly things", well hell, even adults do silly things. There are several threads on these forums alone that testify to that, and we all like to think we know what we're doing. In my (very limited) experience, kids are far more likely to seek help for stupid injuries than teenagers or adults.

I think it boils down to - do you want your kids to cut themselves for the first time when you are likely to be nearby to sort them out, or when they're on their own and trying to be independent of you.

Emma you have answerd my questian with some good advice thank you .
I am 38 and still and allways will be learning about life .
I guss that is why we all go on these forums to learn.

Rob

JDilling

Jan 9, 2007
Connecticut, USA
When I was about 8 or 9, my father bought me a Swedish Mora. Carbon steel blade, wood handle, and the finger guard. From whar I have read since, that knife was like those typically used to train Swedish youth on the proper and safe use of a knife. He kept that knife secured, and taught me how to safely use it, under controlled conditions. From the factory, it had a razor sharp edge. To put it in perspective, I learned how to shoot an air rifle on my 8th birthday, a .22 LR a few months after, and completed the Vermont Hunter Safety Course (with a score between 94 and 96%) and participated in licensed hunting shortly after turning 9. Several years later I was given a Wenger Commander (similar to the Victorinox Sportsman in regards to functions) as a Christmas gift. I was responsible for that knife- storing it, responsibly using it, and not carrying it when I wasn't supposed to be. A couple years later (in my mid-teens), I was given a 3" lock knife. It was mine, like the Wenger. Shortly thereafter, I became able to buy my own knives, and did such- some for the better some for the worse. That was my progression.

Bosun

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 30, 2003
Gloucester, UK
My son got his Frost's Mora on a family bushcraft weekend last May. He's now 10.5 and I gave him an SAK (Huntsman) for Christmas - for which I got a hug!

When our Scout Leader asked each member of the Troop to name their favourite Christmas present at our first meeting of 2007, my son said "My penknife!".

I keep the Mora under lock and key. Whilst I trust my son, I wouldn't want any of his friends to get hold of it. He's very aware that any misuse of either tool will mean their instant withdrawal.

waylander

May 9, 2006
Co.Durham - Consett
I got my first knife at about the age of 9 I think, my dad had allways taught me that a knife is a tool just as he taught me even if you know for a fact that a gun isn't loaded to treat it as if it were. I was examinig it whith great fascinination and proceeded to cut myself staright away lol, I wasn't told off I was mearly told to be carefull and that I probably wouldnt do it again. At about the age of 10 I started to carry my knife in my pocket obviously never to school and usually only when I was with my dad but I allwasy knew that it was a tool in my pocket. Im now 18 and I think Im extremely responsible with my knifes, some mates of mine are/were real idiots with them, flashing them for the sake of it and carving names in trees etc. Allthough I admit that when I get bored I have been known to flip blades and catch them (not good quality ones wouldn't want to take the chance of ruining an edge), while away from young observers and friends, I really dont want to get into a p*****g competition of whos better.
Sorry if I rambled abit just thought id give a recounting of my experience with them, I know that my kids will be taught exactly the same, I personally think the odd small cut isn't a bad thing the best way is to learn by making mistakes. Oh and the gun thing stuck with me too, at a friends house I allmost blew my top when he decided to point a de-activated old flintlock pistol at someone.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE