Childhood 'want' fulfilled at last.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Long time coming this one. A few of us 'oldies' were immediately taken by the romance of wild living and surviving in the woods after watching First Blood way back in 1982 and I always wanted one of those Jimmy Lile survival knives. From then on, I immersed myself in Survival Weoponry and Techniques magazine every month and coveted my Lofy Wiseman books while drooling over such sharp things as the Buckmaster, Randall, Lile, Wilky survival and less well made tat like the Aitor Explorer and Marco Polo knives.

Back in the early nineties I managed to get a Lile Sly II. Not a 100% accurate representation of the movie knife. But as close as possible without spending many thousands of $$$$ as Jimmy only made 13 of those originals, and Sly had 6 which got used in the film. A further 87 were made available to punters, but lacked 100% accuracy and only had 12 saw teeth as opposed to the 14 the screen accurate ones had. He made a thousand or so SLY II's before passing away in May 1991.

SLY II...

6497-1.jpg

Stupidly, I sold the Lile a few years back. But it wasn't screen accurate, which I really wanted. I used to be a huge screen used prop collector as my father has worked as an armourer on many films including all of the Bonds from Dr No, and many other big productions like Star Wars, the Mission Impossibles and the Nolan Batman films to name a few. I've had some amazing props from those films including Daniel Craigs Walther and silencer, which I still have. The original Rambo knife was always the one that got away, and even a decent copy was impossible to get.

JIMMY LILE FB ORIGINAL #8 of 13...

LRG_1.jpg

United Cutlery made replicas of the Rambo knives in the mid 90's which were OK, and more recently Master Cutlery are making them, but they are far from accurate, and are made for display purposes only from very poor steel.

MASTER CUTLERY'S VERSION...

Master_Cutlery_R_4b2f78da3a16c.jpg

Recently, a few custom makers (Ray Matton, Farid and Britt Gudowski) started to make reasonably accurate copies of those 13 original movie knives at a cost much lower than any Lile. Unlike the United Cutlery and Master Cutlery versions, they were made from good steels like the originals (D2 and 01). And they were made to be used too, with the original methods of construction exactly the same as Liles. Not so long back Britt Gudowski of BlackStarr knives, updated his version to be more accurate to the screen used blades, and also made it in CPM154. I was offered one and couldn't pass it over, even though I tried.

To complete the package, I commissioned a US sheath maker to make me a screen accurate sheath, complete and left handed like the original. Not even Jimmy Lile's knives came with a screen accurate sheath with that arkansas stone pouch on the front - all the screen used ones were custom made for Sly by Jim Buffalo and not Lile. So I had to get one of those and it completes the screen accrate look along with the added thongs and lanyards. It really is a daft knife, and I'll never use it for serious outdoors use. But it is a great keepsake of a film prop I longed for as a blossoming teenager. As it was also that film and that knife that led me down the path to find bushcraft, which is such a major part of my life and job, it is an excellent momento too.

P1000421.jpg

P1000420.jpg

1stBlood.jpg

P1000422.jpg

600px-Rambo1Knife-1.jpg

Picture277-1.jpg

Last edited:

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Well done you.

Are you going to get it dirty?

Is it going to be a user?

What about battoning?

Can you post pics?

Sorry - I shouldn't push you... :rolleyes:

I always wanted a Johnny7.

You're a lucky man JD.

Lovely pics.

Liam

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Excellent Jonathan,some great pictures all we need now is a review of you putting it through its paces,but somehow i dont think that will happen.Great knife,well done and thanks for sharing.Cheers

Darren

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I will be using it as it has to get all dirty to get that screen accurate look I want. I'll put pics up as I try it out doing some stuff.

A Johnny 7? I know a bloke who makes Johnny 5's.

rj5p1.jpg

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Aye, a Johnny7 O.M.A. (one man army) - it was a machine gun, rocket launcher, grenade launcher etc. 7 weapons in one package.

Liam

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Aye, a Johnny7 O.M.A. (one man army) - it was a machine gun, rocket launcher, grenade launcher etc. 7 weapons in one package.

Liam

Oh yeah, I remember them.

:)

More pics and a review please.

I have a couple of Lile knives, but not hollow handled ones, always did want one though.

:)

Will do. I really regret selling my SLY II now. I actually had two of them and used one loads. Made a tidy profit though. The Lile stamped knives produced after his death are just not the same obviously. Even the new Ltd Edition FB replica knives the Lile company are selling, are nowhere near as good or as accurate as some of the customs that are now available.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Will do. I really regret selling my SLY II now. I actually had two of them and used one loads. Made a tidy profit though. The Lile stamped knives produced after his death are just not the same obviously..."

I recall one of the eighties survival mags doing a review of a SLY II and giving it some proper abuse. :eek:

My two are Grey Ghosts, one has a dot indicating post death production, to look at I'd struggle to pick out any flaws in the newer one, but proof is in the pudding and these two have ever been used. Maybe one day though, I just need another ice age as my hands can only hold them comfortably when wearing very thick gloves. :)

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I recall one of the eighties survival mags doing a review of a SLY II and giving it some proper abuse. :eek:

My two are Grey Ghosts, one has a dot indicating post death production, to look at I'd struggle to pick out any flaws in the newer one, but proof is in the pudding and these two have ever been used. Maybe one day though, I just need another ice age as my hands can only hold them comfortably when wearing very thick gloves. :)

The post death production knives stamped with the dot are good if not made by the man himself. These new things they are making now, including the FB replica they make, are far removed from any of the handmade pre or post death knives, although nice all the same.

http://www.jimmylile.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=1

lile3.JPG

Last edited:

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Congratulations on getting that Jonathan. I used to drool over The Gun Digest Book of Knives in the 70's and 80's with all those lovely shinies, so when the movie Rambo came out I was glued to the screen, especially as anything to do with being in the bush was my main interest (and still is). When passing through Hope B.C. http://www.hopebc.ca/stories/photo-stories/chasingrambo.html this summer, Rambo came to mind for the first time in many years. Ah, memories!
This thread brings it all back. Looking forward to seeing more. Thanks.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
very nice mate, great bit of movie nostalgia you've got yourself there, will you be keeping a needle and thread in the handle for the next time you try cutting yourself in half with a machete?

stuart

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Great score. Enjoy it. I guess it shows my age but my movie hero when it comes to knives is still Tarzan (the old black and whites) More recently would be Crocodile Dundee. You don't happen tp have any props (or replicas) from any of those do you?)

Last edited:

Paul K

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
In the woods
Hey Jonathan,

That's a lovely bit of nostalgia, and a great keepsake to remind you of a formative time in your life. The back-drop information on model and version history is interesting too. Thanks for sharing.

Best

Paul

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
What kind of stone was supplied with the originals?
My knives have brass rod eze-lap type sharpeners rather than the squarish looking one on the above sheaths.

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
You're in esteemed company Jonathon - anyone else see the knife Karl Pilkington was using on the desert island in the first episode on an idiot abroad 2?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE