Chicken (& Squash) Soup for the Tai Chi Soul

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
One of my tai chi students gave me some chayote squash from her garden.

So what's a guy to do. When life deals you squash, you make squash soup. And it was delicious. Mahalo Shuling!

Anyway, as I set out to make dinner, my Gary Mills bushcraft knife was looking to get some attention since it hasn't been used since my last camping trip of last year. While it is a little thick for food prep, it still did a good job.

Pardon my lousy pictures taken with my phone.

I added some long squash for variety. The knife did a great job of scraping the skin off.

The knife is a total ham. The following shots show it posing with some of the food prep.

I have noticed that the knife has acquired a nice tan, er, I mean patina since I first got it. Hey come on, I live in the tropics.

Here's the soup stock simmering.

And while that was going, I thought I'd touch up the edge a little bit. And while it is shaving sharp, I need to do a little bit more to get it to the hair popping standard I have on my other knives. The kitchen was hot in the afternoon especially with the soup on. So before the next outing, I will put the final edge on.

I wasn't going to make a fire so it was just a quick test and also to make sure any wire edge is removed.

And viola...dinner...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE