Chicken of the woods. Edibility. Has anyone eaten cotw growing on yew wood. Lots of

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 23, 2012
Hampshire
I have just collected a lovely chicken of the woods but noticed it was growing on a decaying yew tree. Checked on the web and a number of warnings about eating if growing on yew. Has anyone tried it? I think it all may be scare mongering and that it is probably fine to eat...but don't want to be the first to die!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello, and welcome to the forum :)

I didn't know that CotW grew on Yew; we live and learn. I don't think I'd be eating it though. You just can't be that hungry..........and this from the woman who thoroughly enjoys the fruits every year.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Not contradicting you, just that here I find it on oak and beech. I didn't know it grew on Yew.
On oak and beech it's very good, but again, I don't think I'd eat it from yew, regardless of how dead it was.

cheers,
Toddy

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
the japanese make chopsticks out of yew and they seem to do fine on it. there's some debate as to whether the wood itself is toxic or not i believe

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a yew quaich, and haven't poisoned anyone yet.........few hangovers right enough :rolleyes: but does the fungus not in some way actually devour the substance of the tree ? it certainly absorbs nutrients from the tree.

I don't think this is one to muck around with, tbh :dunno:
Put it this way, I'd go hungry instead.

Bound to be some of the fungi knowing folks have more information about this though, hopefully they'll see this thread and comment :D

cheers,
M

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I'm with Mary. I know people who've eaten it off yew, and they're still with us, but when I'm teaching courses I advise against it as there's no research (that I know of) on ongoing toxicity being retained in the body. I know that some species of fungi are particularly good at soaking up pollutants/heavy metals etc from the environment. It's one of the many things that make them so wonderfully useful, but if they do that (NEVER eat parasols from near busy roads!) then who knows what you're putting in your body with Yew grown fungi? Not me! I routinely ask land owners on favourite spots (woodland included) whether they spray and what with too... :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Personally i wouldnt eat it, as the fungi has been basically growing off the moisture in the wood and the wood itself. As the ONLY part of yew that isnt toxic is the flesh of the berries.

You wouldn't eat a mussel if it was living near a chemical plant as it will have taken toxins into its flesh. I expect the same occurs with fungi on Yew.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The princible toxins in yew are in the wood but arent very soluble in water, hence why you can drink out yew bowls and eat with yew chopsticks, but a dog chewing a stick can die. I wouldnt drink vodka that had sat for week in a yew cup personally.

The chicken of the woods question I quite simply dont know. I would eat it, but i wouldnt feed it to my kids until the next day. The toxins in yew aren't acculmative, they cause heart and TNS issues quite quickly after consumption. If yew grown COTW turned up while teaching, it would go on the firmly in the suspect pile, with full explianation. Chicken of the woods is an iffy anyway as it gives a good number of people bad guts and allergic reactions. It feeds by breaking down the wood it is growing on what else crosses with that I dont know. Sorry cant be more help.

The source of COTW growing on taxus been "lethal" appears to be the author micheal jordan. i cant find any referance to any actual poisoning due to taxus through eating COTW. 6 journalists got sick at MJ's book launch form eating COTW coincidantly. There doesn't appear to be much solid evidance of taxine crossing into the fungi, however COTW does cause problems in it self.

Clear as mud!!!

edit chichona alkaloids [quinine etc] cross over from the tree into staghorn fungi.

Last edited:

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
the japanese make chopsticks out of yew and they seem to do fine on it. there's some debate as to whether the wood itself is toxic or not i believe
I have done a few carvings with yew and each time I have sanded any piece I have had a funny tummy I now wear a dust mask if I'm sanding yew even working outside (yes I know I should be wearing a dust mast when sanding anyway)

c028986t

Jul 11, 2016
hampshire
Hi I have and regularly do eat CotW from Yew with no ill effects as far as I can see but if I am mad how would I know?? I was worried but could not find any references saying it was poisonness so tried a little bit and was fine so gradually increased the amount to a reasonable meal once a week. My girlfrient has also eaten it with no illeffects so I tend to think it is an individual thing but even so I think I would regulate it to once a week just in case.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE