Hmm - Chicken of the woods on Yew?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've seen some folks say yes and others say no. Personally I'd err on the side of caution and not risk eating it if it's growing on Yew

Reactions: MrEd

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It's an interesting question and one that can be applied to a number of woods. Whether it is or not I guarantee you won't feel well after eating it because of the psychological effect - i.e. you think it will harm you so your brain says it is. That's a very real phenomena that I have both experienced and witnessed. I would advice not eating it!

A real shame because that is one of the best fungal edibles IMO.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I'd avoid that one like the plague, I'm no expert in these matters mind but I'm also not that desperate that I feel like trying it out.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
It's an interesting question and one that can be applied to a number of woods. Whether it is or not I guarantee you won't feel well after eating it because of the psychological effect - i.e. you think it will harm you so your brain says it is. That's a very real phenomena that I have both experienced and witnessed. I would advice not eating it!

A real shame because that is one of the best fungal edibles IMO.

What about giving it a quick lick
I have eaten them in the past, but I was dubious about this one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Please no!
Yew is toxic, the fungus feeds off the tree, and will take up some of the toxin.
Yew seeds are toxic even in tiny quantities .
Just admire it, and pass by.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
A lot of controversy about the Yew.
The flesh of the fruit is edible but under no circumstance must you eat the pips.
I’ve never tried it as I ain’t brave or stupid enough?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
A lot of controversy about the Yew.
The flesh of the fruit is edible but under no circumstance must you eat the pips.
I’ve never tried it as I ain’t brave or stupid enough?

The aril is edible (well, I'm still alive and sane - I think) but, as you say, the seed is poisonous (as are all other parts of the tree).

Not brave, or stupid, just confident of my studies and research :)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yew is toxic, the fungus feeds off the tree, and will take up some of the toxin.

Possibly, but unlikely IMO, a fungus only takes from a tree what it needs - I doubt chicken of the wood needs the alkaloids as it grows on other trees that do not contain them.

However, without chemical analysis, I would refrain from trying it.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
A quick look at a couple of sites I trust suggest the risk may be more from the fungi containing pieces of yew (leaves etc) that actually absorbing toxins from the tree.

Reactions: Broch

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
From everything i have read over recent years, including articles by some very prominent Mycologists, and our own Jeff Dann, there is no evidence that the toxins contained the wood and seeds of the Yew, transfer to the fungi.
But as Slowworm said, bits of yew getting trapped in the fruiting body may well cause issues.
Would i eat one? Probably, if we were in dire circumstances. but in a regular year, probably not.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It’s fine. I’ve been eating it off Yew for years. Just make sure you don’t take any of the tree with it. I don’t cut it close to the trunk. If you do that you‘ll have no problems.

Reactions: PoppyD and Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE