Cheltenham Bushcraft? Is there any?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

jinx

Hi Everyone, :D

I am an Illustrator and university lecturer in Cheltenham and have just done a Bushcraft course with Wildwood Bushcraft in Sussex. I was massively enthused by it and wish to continue the subject, perhaps combining it with my painting interests in the cotswold area.

I would also like to get my five year old boy involved so we can do the "father son weekend warrior" thing together some times.

Are there any like minded people out there in my neck of the woods?

I look forward to future associations with all of you.

Gary :grouphug:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hi Jinx, and welcome to the forum, and welcome to Jinx Junior too,
In the Meetup section there was a topic about meetings in the Oxford/Gloucester area - might be what you're looking for.

All the best and have fun.

Ogri the trog

J

jinx

Hi Ogri, Many thanks for the good wishes and I will rush off as directed.

Jinx

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi jinx and welcome to Bushcraft UK, it’s good to have you and that you’ve had a great experience on the course with Wildwood bushcraft. It sounds like you’ve got a good combination of skills to get a lot out of the outdoors.

You just set the example and your 5 year old will follow, it’s great teaching them that young, get some good books for ID etc and he’ll soon know the plants, trees etc..

Enjoy the forum

J

jinx

Thank you for the welcomes and suggestionson expanding knowledge. Even as I look out the window at the thunder, lightening, and lashing rain I look forward to out door adventures.

Jinx

J

jinx

Hi Tony

Thanks for the good wishes. Any suggestions on the reading material? Especially plant ID material that also tells you which plants can be used for what?

Jinx

Tony said:
Hi jinx and welcome to Bushcraft UK, it’s good to have you and that you’ve had a great experience on the course with Wildwood bushcraft. It sounds like you’ve got a good combination of skills to get a lot out of the outdoors.

You just set the example and your 5 year old will follow, it’s great teaching them that young, get some good books for ID etc and he’ll soon know the plants, trees etc..

Enjoy the forum

ozymandias

Aug 18, 2006
cheltenham
hey jinx, one cool book is 'food for free', available on amazon. it comes in a mini rucksac version, a collins gem, which i have, and i think there is a larger version too, with more prose. it's got recipes and all sorts in there, and is better for learning names than learning for the sake of learning, i reckon, as you can make a tasty(ish) meal from the stuff you find!

leon-1

jinx said:
Hi Tony

Thanks for the good wishes. Any suggestions on the reading material? Especially plant ID material that also tells you which plants can be used for what?

Jinx

Ozy has already mentioned food for free, but you could also try doing a distance learning course.

Wild food school do courses and distance learning courses. The guy that runs WFS is also a member here and posts under the name Jumbalaya. At the bottom of the page there are links to recipes with pignuts and to some of the books that he has published. Hope this will be of use to you.:)

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
hya - I havent read this forum for a while as it seemed to be a RM tribute site but its improved since then (please dont be upset - I like Ray and what he's done to allow all those extreme survival schools to remarket themselves - but he's a little too self centred and comercial now for my liking) so I've finally registered.

I live in gloucester - no kids though as she cant have em - if you want an easy woodland experience for you lad then try standish wood nr randwick (stroud) as there's a wild site for walkers just off the cotswold way. you can park at the topograph and walk down or get the missus to drop you off. you're not supposed to light fires but if you take a hibachi type setup so it doesn't burn the ground you should be ok.

if you want to borrow any kit then let me know :)

J

jinx

ozymandias

Many thanks for suggested reading. Your absolutly right, learning with a reason is a lot more fun and effective. Are there any books that give info on uses of plants other than food that you know off?

leon-1

Thanks for the info, distance learning is a good idea for us busy dads who can't escape the family too often.

crazydave

Wow a sanctioned wild camping site near to home. Nirvana. We will definately be checking that out. Thanks again.
Sorry about the no children thing if its appropriate to say so? Still at least you get more than 2 hours unbroken sleep which is more than I get at present.

Yours, slightly shakey of hand

Jinx

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Hi and welcome to the forums,

It's great that you want to get your son involed. My Grandad did the same to me when i was about 5 and i had a sheath knife he made for me and a cut down air rifle for use on his farm (under CLOSE supervision of course). It's a great time to start and it gives you a deep rooted respect for blades, rifles and the outdoors in general.

See you in the forums

Martin

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
hey jinx got your message but havent worked the pm stuff out yet.

the standish camp site is officially part of the cotswold way so is county owned and run. being officially footpath it is a sanctioned wild site and free for all.

its on the top of a hill and the nearest village is randwick - it takes some finding if you try from the road or dont know what to look for but I can maybe meet up to show it to you the site if memory serves and the link works is to the left of the red ring, you should be able to zoom out accordingly to get your bearings

http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.c...zm=0&scale=5000&multimap.x=281&multimap.y=204

its a small part of somebody's land though and the guy monitors it almost daily - the tap was taken out due to kids and he grumbles a bucketfull about their weekend parties up there. it was however a good tidy little site with enough local woodland to have some fun in. like I said ground fires aren't allowed because they poison the ground and it is technically woodland but a hobostove or similar shouldn't cause an issue.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE