Cheapest 4x4 on a budget?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I ended up getting a Subaru Impreza Turbo wagon back in Feb 2012 but havent even had it a year and its had gear box problems, New radiator then on saturday somthing else went pop on it emptying the coolant out in a few seconds so think i must of bought a dud impreza since all its been is problem after problem and havent even had it 12 months yet. Seriously considering cutting my losses and traiding it in for a 4x4 in the Summer if it lasts that long but have already spend loads on sensible mods such as better suspension and breaks. Ironicaly always had 80’s cars before the impreza and never had any problems with them.

Last edited:

markphelan

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2011
Birmingham UK
Just picked up a Mitsubishi Shogun Pinin for less than £2k. It's only a 1.8 petrol, but should be OK for the missus getting around in the winter - her normal car is a Fabia vrs with a supercharger and automatic gearbox, so that will be firmly garaged if/when the snow falls.
It's in need of a good service and cam belt change, but is in good shape and done less than 60,000 in 9 years with just 1 owner. I'd have loved a Defender or late Series, but trying to find a good one for little money was proving tricky, and since my wife needed it mainly for work (district nurse) it will probably end up stuck in town most of the time anyway.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Just bought a sportrak 55k on the clock for 9ton. Not the greatest of MPG but a capable and fun little motor.
5ugetu4a.jpg

I was gutted I missed a fourtrak independent for the same money though.

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
This was my old baby but just not reliable cost too much money and time a shame they are rare now the austin gypsy gypsy car 007.jpggypsy car 006.jpgLooks good but if you want a cheap reliable 4 by 4 get a toyota or honder.

Last edited:

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Yes, but it's name manages to suggest that it's a tin can filled with terror which was surely a poor marketing strategy

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Going to raise my budget to £2000 and think a SWB Terrano/Maverick 2.7Tdi would fit the bill if I can find a rust free one. Did take a look at the lwb Rav 4 which was tempting but it's a 2.0 Petrol so wont be saving much in fuel cost and hopefully the 2.7Tdi Terrano will run on 50/50 diesel and veg oil making it cheaper to run. Main problem I have is most swb 4x4 are too short for a couple of people and gun cases and the lwb 4x4 are too big.

Pity there isn't a Mid size 4x4 like the Rav 4 LWB but diesel.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Ssangyong/Daewoo Musso! Get the diesel, and it'll run on clean veggie oil - 100% in summer, 75/25% in winter. All you need to do is put another inline fuel filter in - get those off ebay for peanuts! Does around 30mpg.

Alternatively, think outside the box and get a 4x4 converted to LPG - that way you could get over 40mpg equivalent (assuming lpg is half the price of petrol!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE