Cheapest 4x4 on a budget?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Just to add to that, when I took this pic....

landysnow02a.jpg

There was about an inch of snow over ice. I tried to reverse out of the drive. I had nothing in the back. With difflock on, I ended up with wheels on both axles spinning and I was going nowhere. I was actually a little embarrassed to get me landy stuck in an inch of snow. I had to turn it round so I was driving forwards up the slope and it flew out like it was on tarmac. Weight distribution is critical.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
I used to drive in the snow in RWD Volvos all the time - they drift nice and smooth if you get the rhythm right - and as I said earlier, oversteer is always easier to control than understeer. I prefer RWD over FWD regardless of conditions.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Picked up a 2.7 TDi Nissan Terrano a couple of weeks ago. Not tried it off road yet but the engine is great with 120, 000 miles on it.

Still want an older Discovery (200/300 TDi) though - but in road terms this Terrano is doing fine at 36 motorway mpg.

Feels very solid and should see me through any local snow here in mid Wales.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
The terrano is a very under rated 4x4 I think.

I see lots of them in southern spain ( I spend a lot of time there, and have lived there in the past) getting worked daily in the mountains and forest parks. They just go on and on and will take you pretty much anywhere.

Very best of luck with your new purchase :D

Sep 20, 2012
hertfordshire
ive had an old rav4 2ltr for over 3 years now,ive done no mods to it.
its crawled its way out of ditches,waded along rivers and been generally abused.
its never let me down and only spent £150 in the whole tie ive had it.
pretty good on fuel and still goes like the clappers,many have attempted to cut me up and burn me off only to be left behind looking shocked. (ive had it over 100mph and it loves it)

Nov 13, 2012
Wirral
I would say Pajero. If it is just for softroad then don't discount the Rav4, they are bomb proof and quite economical.

ghound

Nov 10, 2012
doagh
You can still pick up a trusty old series 3 land rover for a grand. I sold this one a few weeks ago, that i had bought it as a run around for the summer, rough bodywork but the 2.25 diesel engine and gearbox was perfect.

SHANESCASTLE003.jpg

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Ok, I get the Land Rover price thing but you want a cheap four by four ie on a budget.

Buy a land rover defender with no windows in the back, it a van so cheap tax I belive.

Then it cheap to insure.

Then it cheap to repair because you can do it yourself, and you will it a defender. You buy any old car and you will be repairing it, the difference with a defender is you will not be paying someone else to do it, the parts are cheap, and easy to get hold of.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
You can still pick up a trusty old series 3 land rover for a grand. I sold this one a few weeks ago, that i had bought it as a run around for the summer, rough bodywork but the 2.25 diesel engine and gearbox was perfect.

SHANESCASTLE003.jpg

I have one of these in bits behind my house waiting to have some money spent on it. Needs some modest chassis welding, rewire and brake work - which isn't a lot on an unrestored example. Lovely old beastie.

Baggy

Settler
Oct 22, 2009
Essex, UK
www.markbaigent.co.uk
I did wonder about awd cars such as Subaru, Audi, Volvo Ect.. but most reviews say there expensive to run and repair.
I have a suburu legacy at the moment and my previous car was a legacy as well, I had it nine years and put 160,000 on it and it did not cost me anything other than servicing etc. No repairs ever needed.

My current legacy has been a joy, had it for four years.

I recently saw the the old one and the new owner said that it is going strong.

I am a huge fan of suburu legacys :)

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
I'm on my 3rd Subaru Forester............not spent anything on any of them other than servicing, two have done high mileages. I'm with Baggy on this. Subarus are vastly under-rated.
Also very capable off road if used sensibly and with the right tyres. Admittedly they are a bit thirsty, but no more than a Landie or other 4x4.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE