Cheap Smock from Endicotts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robadams

Forager
Aug 19, 2004
Hampshire
No Idea on the quality but as I said, they always sem to get good reviews. It looks better than some of the other cheap smocks available. Hopefully someone who has bought one will read this and add a review, I am interested to hear if they are any good.
I bought a smock from a supplier on Ebay based in NI, it cost a lot more and it was rubbish.

WilS

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 3, 2008
North Wales
There's a world of difference between wind-resistant and wind-proof, but I think I'll keep an eye on this thread in case someone happens to buy one and review it. Any volunteers? :)

Will.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Hmnnn tempting but I have already thrown enough money on toys this month!!!!!
Go on buy it you know it makes sense!
Dave (waiting patiently for his dutch oven to arrive!!!)

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
You can get them at the army surplus place in Poole too in a variety of colours. They look OK for the money - hardwearing material (feels like canvas!), probably not that water resistant but I suspect they are fine for knocking about in the foods as long as it doesn't rain hard. There is no zip above the pocket up to the neck - it's velcro.

May 13, 2007
NORTHANTS
There's a world of difference between wind-resistant and wind-proof, but I think I'll keep an eye on this thread in case someone happens to buy one and review it. Any volunteers? :)

Will.

I have one of these on the way, I'll give it a wash and treat it with Nikwax cottonproof and let you know how it goes, I've checked with Nikwax and they don't do a custardproof :D

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I ahve one of these. it's cotton drill, as as windproof as all get out, I've used it a few times in rain showers and although it got a tad damp, slightly stiff and heavy, I was warm and toasty wearing just a base layer. cheaper than the one from Endicotts, and cotton rather than man made, I have plans to nikwax it, to see if it is any better than just left alone. Oh the choice of colours really do suck. (blue red green)

May 13, 2007
NORTHANTS
I have one of these on the way, I'll give it a wash and treat it with Nikwax cottonproof and let you know how it goes, I've checked with Nikwax and they don't do a custardproof :D

Well the smock arrived a couple of days ago, on opening the package I was pleasantly surprised with the weight of the fabric used, I was expecting it to be a lighter garment but it feels sturdy without being heavy, the fit is just about right with enough room underneath for a wool shirt or fleece and I love the large front pocket. I would say that the weave of the material is not quite dense enough to be completely wind proof so Endicotts description of wind resistant is accurate, meaning also that after Nikwax treatment it would stand a good shower without being completly waterproof. Nevertheless lets remember that this a budget smock that would be fine for knocking around the woods in, and for around the fire.
I'm certainly glad that I took a chance and bought one and it will get a lot of use.
Advice from Endicotts was to wash it before treating it with Nikwax as the new material contains a starch that would stop the treatment adhereing properly.

No connections etc but thanks to Endicotts especially Paul for putting up with me hassleing him on the phone :D oh and to Rob for the origional heads up.

Maverick

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well, thats good enough for me! since I've a month to wait for the Snowsled job and I won't be using that for some of the muckier jobs, at least until the novelty has worn off, herself is ordering me one tomorrow (she tried today, bless her!) in the hope it arrives before my birthday so I have something on the day ;-{D) It looks just the job for going over a pertex/pile shirt to protect it from sparks. Pure cotton would have been nice but then the price would have no doubt been a load more. Mind you I've had no real trouble with some ploycotton lightweight trousers with regards to burn holes.

Thanks for the heads up!

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Smock ordered and acording to the wife they are a real friendly and helpful bunch! I think they have too much faith in the UK postal service in saying it will be here tomorrow but I'm willing to be wrong on that one!

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Much to my delight dead on the stroke of 8 this morning the postie delivered my smock as promised!

I'm not sure what the wife said to them to I am absolutely delighted with the service Endicotts gave which quite frankly has made my day. possibly my week. Anyroad if they are some how reading this, thank you! You are very sweet people!

To the garment itself, I'm very pleased with it indeed, especially for the money. I've worn it for the walk to school and on into town to use the library broad band as it was still cool enough then and it's a remarkably good fit for a big fat six footer like myself, realistically the sleaves on the XXL are cut for some one very fat (or I suppose heavily built) rather than 7 foot something types, although saying that I've longish arms so i reckon theses would be good for some one up to 6 foot 4 but certainly not in the way for those over 5' 10".

The fabric being new is a little bit stiff but after a couple of washes I predict I'll be wearing it like a heavy shirt for messing about in. I probably wont TX10 it as I can see it being washed alot. Its quite windy today and it kept it out although I think if it had got any stronger I would have started to feel it. Not really a problem as I won't be using it up on the moors but in woods etc.

The hand pockets are great, the hip belt of my MacPac Nikau fitted through it perfectly and cinched the waist in while leaving some where to tuck my hands. When I can no longer resist the urge to tinker with it I'll fit some fabric loops inside the pockets so I can billy cord a couple of things inside.

The kangeroo pocket is plenty big enough for gloves etc and the design of the front pockets means that there is at least three layers of fabric between your chest and the outside world / sparks /wind etc I really like this as they could have skimped to cut costs but haven't.

The hood is 2 layers and plenty big enough for my 7 3/4 + head and a hat.

The cuffs / sleaves look wide enough to roll up and the velcro at the cuff is actually long enough to cinch them tight around my embarrasingly skinny wrists, unlike on some jackets I've had.

Once I've worn it in I'll probably get another and use them like heavy shirts, maybe keep one showerproofed and use the other for dirty job like hauling wood about. It will really save me damaging the ventile when it turns up so its worth the 22 quid just for that!

Improvements? purely out of personal taste I may one day remove the flap and velcro on the neck opening and fit a Swandri bushshirt style lacing but thats just me. The only thing really missing is a big ole' BCUK badge on the left chest ;-{D)

ATB

Tom

a12jpm

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 15, 2008
Perthshire
I think the Master card advert goes:

New smock bought because of good write up on BCUK £21.95
Rest of stuff bought from Endicotts but don't really need £29.00
Happy but poor - priceless.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Come pay day, I'm getting one of these. I'm going for the stone coloured one, which I reckon I could even get away with wearing for a night out.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hmmm... me thinks I shall have to get one. I've been looking for something like that for when I'm out and about.

Looks like a number of other people are thinking the same so I wonder if there's an opportunity for us to do a group buy on them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE