cheap, easy, quick, one-stop leathercraft ordering...

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
A quick question. As I am a bit short of time this week (long list of to-dos handed down to by SWMBO) I need to buy some leather working tools and some leather. I cannot be bothered with the long winded LeProvo route of ordering (and the rather more expensive prices of Bostock) and I need to order awls, needles, stitch groover, edge beveller, overstitch marker, bone folder and some 4mm veg tan etc

So...does anyone one have any recommends for places that have a keen price, online ordering, have a good reputation, UK based? Oh yes and....where I can get everything in one go?

got to rush before SWMBO see me on BCUK! :BlueTeamE

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I’m sorry but what part of LeProvo system is long winded?
When I order from LeProvo, I note what I want (cut and paste) in an email. Send it off, an hour later I ring them and pay. Then I wait till it’s delivered.
EBay is the only place that is simple, but not necessarily cheap, there are several good ebayers, most of which you will find if you search for “leather hide”

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I’m sorry but what part of LeProvo system is long winded?
When I order from LeProvo, I note what I want (cut and paste) in an email. Send it off, an hour later I ring them and pay. Then I wait till it’s delivered.
EBay is the only place that is simple, but not necessarily cheap, there are several good ebayers, most of which you will find if you search for “leather hide”

Sorry...by that I meant: click, add to basket, enter payment details, submit....

Fair enought though. Maybe I'm being lazy...(or not wanting SWMBO to see me with CC in hand on the phone)

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
You could always give Tandy leather factory a call, 01604 647 951, toll free at 0800 085 6765. They're really helpful, if you get a 1 year membership for £20 you'll make a saving if you purchase £80 of goods in the year... they're not necissarily the cheapest but have offers on certain things all the time.

No connections, just a happy customer that happens to work 5 minutes from their shop. I've been getting into leather work and got a membership to save in the long run. I suppose it works for me because I don't have to pay for postage.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I’ve just made 4 (1¼ inch by 55 inch) black leather belts, cost for the leather from eBay would have been £37.80 (from LeProvo it was £24.76) Buckles from EBay would be £12 (LeProvo the buckles £3.20) If you add postage and Vat to the LeProvo orders (total including postage and Vat £38.72) and buy them together, you save £11 do that a few times a year and you're talking quite a saving.

Same with buying a hide, buy a second grade veg tanned 3.2 mm thick hide from LeProvo will cost upwards of £30 (with vat and postage that’s £41) but that is 13 square foot of leather (£3.16p per square foot)
On ebay the same kind of leather hide if you buy it a bit at a time works out to be between £6.50 and £18 per square foot. It adds up if you really get into making your own stuff.

Saying that I’ve used ebay for the odd bit of coloured leather, and one person stands out as a top seller and that is thewiskeredbat. Ever so helpful and good and sorting out any problems when the happen.
So waffling aside if you don’t mind a bit of faffing about LeProvo is the place to go to get top quality and a really cheap price, but if faffing is not your thing thewiskeredbat, is as good as it gets on eBay, for ok quality at a price.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
What about these guys? I've never used them myself though.

http://www.theidentitystore.co.uk/default.asp

I went in their shop today for the first time and they were very knowledgeable and helpfull. Nice folks too. Prices seem fair and its a refeshing change not to order things over the internet (they have a good site though), or the phone.

Walk in Walk out, great stuff. On my way home too which is a bonus.

No connection just bought some dye.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Would a trip to Yeovil be out of the question?Theres a leather store there and they have a full range of tools and vegtan hides...and a very large room full of hides of all the colours you could imagine!
The shop is called Pittards.
now youll tell me that you're in west Devon!!

Last edited:

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Ebays the best bet. Top of the shop craft supplies for tools and other stuff, and Leathersoloutions for leather hides.:)

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Would a trip to Yeovil be out of the question?Theres a leather store there and they have a full range of tools and vegtan hides...and a very large room full of hides of all the colours you could imagine!
The shop is called Pittards.
now youll tell me that you're in west Devon!!

Ha no.....Exeter side of Dartmoor :)
Pittards. Will pop in when I am passing through next. Cheers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE