Cheap down jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MonsieurDig

Jan 6, 2015
United Kingdom
So I've been looking at down jackets for ages. I want a lightweight or ultralight one, really packable and more suitable for high energy use so not looking for Arctic warmth. Anyway all I realised is I was looking at £150 or more and many retailing at around £300 and I couldn't justify it. But popped in Go outdoors after work and picked one up for £30. 700 fill and a 90/10 ratio. I want to weigh it as I'm unsure on weight but it packs into its own pocket and wouldn't take up much room in a pack and for that money if it is ****e I'll just wear it at work and haven't wasted a fortune. Just a heads up. It's a higear packlite alpinist.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I must admit to having no real problems with down - and with DWR fabrics and hydrophobic down, plus common sense, they should be OK. There are of course plenty of synthetic fillings around as well.

The Cotswolds semi own brand Ayachuco synthetic jacket http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/ayacucho-mens-ascent-insulated-hoodie-a1212616?id_colour=108 is good value at £40 (I got one of their Feather Inner jackets for £60 a while back and thats not bad), and you can get a Columbia down jacket from them for £60 http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/columbia-mens-flash-forward-down-jacket-a1212917?id_colour=103 .Shame the similar Alpkit Filoment for about the same price is now only available in a nasty yellow.

I've got one of the 'bivvy'/softie jackets, and although reasonably warm, they are huge. They are designed to go over everything else, and even a small/medium (which I have) is about the same length as my regular hiking jacket and really baggy. Most are large, which are even bigger.
They are not much smaller than something like the Montane Back Ice, which is something you'd wear as a main layer, rather than a midlayer. And the equivalent down jacket will pack much smaller.

I got mine for a tenner, and £25 including postage isn't bad but if its nearer £40 all in, then the cheaper synthetic/down jackets start to make a lot more sense long term.And try one on first - the small isn't small....

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
So I've been looking at down jackets for ages. I want a lightweight or ultralight one, really packable and more suitable for high energy use so not looking for Arctic warmth. Anyway all I realised is I was looking at £150 or more and many retailing at around £300 and I couldn't justify it. But popped in Go outdoors after work and picked one up for £30. 700 fill and a 90/10 ratio. I want to weigh it as I'm unsure on weight but it packs into its own pocket and wouldn't take up much room in a pack and for that money if it is ****e I'll just wear it at work and haven't wasted a fortune. Just a heads up. It's a higear packlite alpinist.

I'v got one one of these and they are great for the money. Cant remember the weight, but it is in ultralight league

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
If you don't want something for arctic conditions and a down jacket for use while active, i don't think you'll find much unless you're very cold. When i'm moving around, a base layer, light fleece and shell are enough in Belgium(so about the same as you in the UK, you get a bit colder probably, but still). Only use the down jacket when resting or in camp. I have the Ayacucho atlas, and while it isn't the best out there, it does it's job well for the price. Most are just more expensive because they use better quality down, and are meant for much lower temperatures that what we use it for.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I wouldnt buy cheap down jackts from china because of their [usual] cruelty, involving live plucking [google it]

Ive got a montbell ul down jacket. Its pretty good, but doesnt get as much wear as it should. Forms part of my lightweight kit.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I too am a fan of a down puffy. I have a Northface one that is my 'static' layer and doubles as my pillow (in a stuff sack). I got it for cheap (probably a knockoff) in Kathmandu but it's performed very well. If I were to buy another I'd prioritise ethically sourced down.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Try your local TKmaxx. There are lots of of down jackets in at the moment for not a lot of money. I've a 'travel' one that was £30 and it's done well even after 3 or 4 washes.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Have a look into the montane prism jacket. Warm for its weight and bulk and a synthetic fill for when it gets wet. Much better fitting than softie style jackets. The only softie/puffa i would really recommend is the Keela Belay version, which could be had for about £50 not too long ago.

Alpkits down jackets are great, but I've been soaked in a down jacket before (North face) and it was never the same even after it was dried properly. Where as every synthetic I've been soaked in before has always came up just about new when put in the tumble dryer.

Tonyuk

MonsieurDig

Jan 6, 2015
United Kingdom
Definitely agree with the ethically sourced. That was the only reason I wasn't going to buy it and was going to get the Patagonia ultralight. But alas I'm poor

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I bought that hi-gear jacket last winter and haven't regretted it. I've just started to use it again now that the temperatures have started to drop. I usually use it as an extra layer when I get into my sleeping bag and when I'm moving around camp in the morning, it's like you have a quilt wrapped around you. Only downside to it that I've seen is that it has leaked the odd feather from the seams. But then again I've seen some rab and north face down jackets which have had similar issues.

To be honest, if I spent a fortune on a top end down jacket, I'd probably be afraid to take it wild camping for fear of getting it caught on a branch or such.

Decathalon also make some affordable down jackets which carry there Quechua brand.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE