Cheap Axe+ saw combo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
Hi all!
I found this knock off of the Gerber Axe + saw combo yesterday at a local store. At about £10 it was worth buying without looking too closely, with the intention of stowing it in the car for emergencies or spontaneous outings and the like.

Searching online, I found what looks to be the exact same kit. Anyone have any clues as to the use I might expect out of this? Experience?
http://www.knifecenter.com/item/RTS...hideout-combo-axe-w-saw-abs-handle-abs-sheath

I get that it may not be up to the quality of the gerber kit, but, judging by that it could still be of some use, no?

Anyways this post could be seen as a tip that cheap copies of the gerber kit might crop up in Lidl and the like from now on.

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Aldi in the UK do a copy of the Fishkars Hatchet and Axes. I don't own one but I'm told they perform just the same but at less than half the cost. So I might pick one up one day and give it a go. Might be ok for Children to use as the plastic hafts will be lighter for the to use than wooden ones.

I have taken a look at your link and it looks good for the money. You will have to use it for while to see how it performs.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Buying an unknown quality tool for emergency purposes is not a good idea. When you will need the tool the most and rely in its ability to properly perform the intended task, failure is not acceptable. E tools should be at the very least of the same quality or better than your regular ones. Then train to accomplish the tasks required till they become second nature. An injury is never good but in an emergency it could be fatal. Be careful.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I call that saw a bread knife :lmao:

I had the gerber one for some time it was not bad

My first thoughts too. I thought I could shove a bread knife in the handle of my Fiskars axe and Bob's your uncle. More useful to keep a file in the handle to sharpen it though.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
Buying an unknown quality tool for emergency purposes is not a good idea. When you will need the tool the most and rely in its ability to properly perform the intended task, failure is not acceptable. E tools should be at the very least of the same quality or better than your regular ones. Then train to accomplish the tasks required till they become second nature. An injury is never good but in an emergency it could be fatal. Be careful.
Thank you for your concern, friend. I should add that the actual dire emergencies this kit is likely to have to handle are easily numbered, but still, it's a valid point.
Hopefully it will get some proper use for non-emergency situations before ever having to help me out of a dangerous situation.

The rest of you; thanks for your input, especially on the Aldi and Fiskars axes. That gives some confidence along with the tiny Fiskars axe I already own, which seems to be of reasonable quality at least.

As for proper axes and saws to bring if I'd go on a longer trip into northern Sweden or something, I'm all set. I just liked the neatness of the kit, and the ability to stow it as one piece against the rear of the back seat. (I drive an estate / station wagon.

Also, for any other Swedes on here: The thing was found at Jula. On sale now for 149:-

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE