Cheap Action Camera

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Time to search the BCUK collective......

I'm thinking about buying one of the cheap gopro knockoff cameras like this

619BmYUP5ML.jpg

Does anyone have one? ...... what are your thoughts??

I predominatly want it a an interval camera to take stills clamped to a post etc rather than capturing video which i appreciate it is intended for. I like the idea of being able to view the image via wifi for composing when i am unable to see the screen on the back (most likely in my intended use) will it actually do this?

It will most likely just capture for uploading to facebook etc so super high resolution is not overly important.

So will I be wasteing £20 and headding out to buy a 'proper' camera in a few weeks?

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
coincidentally i purchased one of these the other week. First impressions are rather good actually, and it maintained a strong wifi signal to my phone allowing me to view the image it was seeing a few rooms away. Relatively crisp and clear image, and the quality of the accessories (various clamps, straps, waterproof housing etc) that it came with were amazing for the money (i paid about £20 from a seller supposedly in Ireland - it turned up in less than a week, so I presume it didn't come directly from china). I believe that you can use the EZ icam, app (free download) to take the pictures and video remotely.

Reactions: g4ghb and bopdude

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
The problem is you look at these cameras and think how good can they possibly be for £20 when that is less than just a waterproof housing for a Gopro. I've been really tempted to get one just to try some under water filming but it's almost like they're too cheap to risk buying. You can see why Gopro are in serious financial trouble now though given the price difference.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Wonder if these would be any good as a makeshift and portable CCTV solution? Be nice to hear more of a review Lord Poncho

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
coincidentally i purchased one of these the other week. First impressions are rather good actually, and it maintained a strong wifi signal to my phone allowing me to view the image it was seeing a few rooms away. Relatively crisp and clear image, and the quality of the accessories (various clamps, straps, waterproof housing etc) that it came with were amazing for the money (i paid about £20 from a seller supposedly in Ireland - it turned up in less than a week, so I presume it didn't come directly from china). I believe that you can use the EZ icam, app (free download) to take the pictures and video remotely.

Ah this is just what I was hopeing to find out - do you have a link perchance (happy to start a conversation if you want to ;-) )

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Ah this is just what I was hopeing to find out - do you have a link perchance (happy to start a conversation if you want to ;-) )

This is where i got it from. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EKEN-H9-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 Looks like it has risen to £22.53 - i paid just under £20 a few weeks back when i purchased it.

To be honest, i haven't really had a chance to have a proper play with it, so don't feel qualified to provide a more thorough review just yet, but all seems good with it so far.Its quite fussy about SD cards (i originally stuck a cheap unbranded one in it, and most of the files corrupted - which they also did in my drone, so i don't think that was the cameras fault). All good with a kingston branded sd card. Batteries seem to be interchangeable with a number of other similar cameras - i've bought an extra two + charger for £5.60 all in (from china), but they haven't turned up yet, so i have no idea that they will work. I did read in the reviews that whilst these are advertised as 4k resolution, they aren't really - apparently they just scale up from 1080p, and the frame rate at 4k is supposed to be too low to be usable. 1080 at a 60 fps seems perfectly ok for me though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE