Good Starter Video Camera?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello. This isn't so much a photography question as it is about video recording/film making.

One of my hobbies is recording atmospheric/ambient landscape scenes. I use a pretty poor camera. However, I'm looking to get into this a bit more and I have £225 to spend. I know it's not much for a really good camera, but surely this money can replace the poor camera I have at the moment? I'm more interested in recording high quality videos and sound than standalone photos. Is it possible with this budget to buy a camera of decent quality that can do this? It doesn't have to be amazing, just something that is generally considered to be good at what it does for the price range.

So that's decent/good video quality (preferably not the standard 1280x720 resolution, but something higher, maybe even full HD 1920x1080?) Something with decent sound too? My current camera's video isn't great because when I zoom in it makes noises, presumably the shutter and focus noises, and the sound is generally low quality. I realise that for a proper set up you're supposed to at least use a dedicated mic, but again I only have £225 to spend.

I've been looking at this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-HC...s=video+camera

However most of the specs mean nothing to me. Is this a good starter camera?

Does anyone have a guide to video cameras and sound? I essentially just want to set the camera up on a tripod and record panning shots, nothing too complicated for now. I just want better quality and sound. Again, I apologise for the lack of direction in what I'm asking. I'm new to this. I just want a decent quality camera and don't want to fiddle with pro techniques like grading or any other technical things. I just want to capture landscapes as they are in good quality. Thanks.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE