Cheap 1 man tent/bivvy needed.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Just after some advice (yet again!), I'm usually a tree dweller, but after getting caught in some horrendous weather where no matter what I did I ended up getting wet, I have decided I need to invest in a cheap tent or bivvy just in case. I dont want to spend loads as it probably wont get used much (or will only be used for storage) so was aiming at £40-£50 maximum. Have found a Gelert Solo for around £33which looks quite good, didnt know if anyone had experience of them or had their own cheap favourites. As always any advice or opinions will be gratefully received. :eek:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Have a good look about for one of the argos 1 man tents, cheap as chips. Quick search on here will give you plenty of info. No idea what the gelert ones are like sorry.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Have a shop around for the Rab storm bivi, these can be picked up for less than £40 and are a great piece of kit, assuming you already have a tarp, gives more freedom that a small tent.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Given your preference for trees, I'm with Dwardo. You don't have to spend anything like fifty quid to get a perfectly usable tent which will take quite a bit of weather. I bought one for a fiver at the end of one of the tent shows, it's seen quite a bit of action in the last three or four years and it's still perfectly watertight. Searches for a photo ... oh, gosh ... five or six years! Here it is at Waddington air show in 2006:

http://www.jubileegroup.co.uk/JOS/misc/waddington_tent.jpg

There's a vent at the top which can be covered over to stop it raining in. In the photo the cover is hanging down the side of the tent to let hot air out of the tent because it was a sunny day. You never know at Waddington. :(

Condensation will often be an issue with a cheap (usually single skin) tent, I just take a flannel or something to wipe it over as soon as I wake up. If you have a tarp, put the tarp over the tent's door and leave the door open, just close the insect screen. That's my favourite setup, loads of room under the tarp for gear and cooking, condensation virtually eliminated. I use a breathable bivi most of the time even in a tent, so I don't have a problem with water soaking into the foot of my sleeping bag any more. :)

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I bought a 2 man tent for £10 in Wilkinsons (actually, looks the same as the one above). I bought it as a backup as they pack up pretty small.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have a Lichfield one man tent

2 layers so it wont get condensation.

Ill swap it if you like

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I've had a £9.99 from Asda, might have been Tesco, for around five years now and still going strong.

It was used at the Download festival the other week too.(not by me unfortunately).

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Have you considered a bigger tarp? It would increase your protection aloft and could also be rigged (with a couple of minor mods) to provide all-round protection on the ground.

paul standley

Aug 9, 2010
south wales
I bought one of these LIDL light weight hiking tents for £13 and it's fine for 1 person plus your kit... I did a bit of a review in the video below...

Paul.

[video=youtube;ectv0igFFhs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ectv0igFFhs[/video]

melv

Jun 24, 2011
Wales
Hi Paul thanks for posting that review vid. Just wondering how small the Lidl hiking tent is when packed away and how light it weights?

Thanks

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Thanks for all the advice. As it probably wont get much use I'm going to see whats on offer in my local tesco's, wilkinsons and lidl as it seems a few of you have got perfectly useable tents for under £15 and that would give me some spare money to spend on shiny, sharp things! I'm hoping I wont need to use a tent as I love living in the trees but its handy to have in emergencies. Thanks again guys.

paul standley

Aug 9, 2010
south wales
Hi Paul thanks for posting that review vid. Just wondering how small the Lidl hiking tent is when packed away and how light it weights?

Thanks

The LIDL hiker tent weighs 1.5 kg and the packed size (which could be stuffed even smaller in a compression sack - can't compress the pole sections of course...!) is 370mm X 170mm X 100mm.

Paul.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE