chartube tutorial

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
g4ghb said:
are you asking in general or the primeing process (which i have explained above)?

In general. I've never heard of a 'char tube' before.

EDIT: It's OK - I've seen grumit's link. What a smart idea! I'm definitely going to make one of these. I wonder why I've never seen it mentioned anywhere before - it's such an elegant process.

Request to webmaster: can we get this pdf'd and placed in the 'Tutorial' section?

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Hi Graham

Thanks for the great tutorial :lmao: .

Got me thinking. I have a fairly large piece of seasoned elder. It is to big for a hand drill but I thought it could be ideal for a Char tube.

Cut up a few pieces and hollowed them out. Then spent most of the night trying to find some decent cotton material.

After a few hours I got some of that yellow cotton cloth you shine your shoes to work. Made up 4 sets with the elder and the cleaning cloth. After priming them they took a spark very easily with the flint & steel. It did take me a while to realise that the wick material needs to lie on top of the flint so as to stop the charred end being broken up by the steel. I will try and get some pics of the sets and post them when I figure out to do that.

Also got some spare pipe and made one to your specs. Very easy to make and worked well with the cloth. Will try it with the wick when I get my hands on some.

Finaly tested it all out on a jute tinder bundle. The thing went up in flames in about 45 seconds. Very impressed

Look forward to trying this out in the field.

I am training up some cadets for their Bronze D of E exped at the end of this month and their project is on Fire making and Shelter making. This will be a good skill that the cadets can learn and use very quickly.

Thanks again for this.

George

Andy J

Forager
Oct 28, 2006
north wales
Just to say thanks very much Joe, mine arrived this morning, got to ignite straight away with my fire steel. can't have had enough protruding, as I couldn't manage to light anything, even cotton wool!! :eek: Obviously doing something wrong here... The "Wick" what is it? Just cotton tape? Want to match it before I run out. But anyway, enjoyed the snow today, huffing and puffing tryiing to get my new toy to work!!! Thanks again, Andy.. :You_Rock_

Andy J

Forager
Oct 28, 2006
north wales
Thanks for that, will get some at the weekend, and hopefully get it right this time.. Apologies Graham, Joe? Don't know where my mind is tonight! Thanks, Andy

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Hi Graham

Just to let you know that I ran a D of E Bushcraft training expedition at the weekend.

One of the activities involved your Char tubes. I made up 8 sets for the cadets to use.

Sets included:

1) Copper tube (as per your specs) with flat wick

or

Elder tube with yellow duster cloth

2) A couple of pieces of flint

3) Striker (old file or part of a magnesium block with rod)

4) Spare Char cloth in foil

5) 1 shoe polish tin to hold it all

The class was a success with everyone managing to get the charred wick/cloth glowing. From this they used sissal nests with some crumbled cramp balls to get a flame. I used the sissal as it was so wet on the weekend.

This gave the cadets a lot of motivation when it came to the Bow drill class.

When they do their assessment weekend next month they will be using the Char tube for all their fire lighting.

The spare Char cloth was very helpful in a couple of cases where the charred end of the wick was destroyed (it was dark at the time).

Thanks again for an excellent tutorial. As I work for the Seacadets I could relate this to the Slow matches used on warships to fire of cannons.

Cheers

George

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
I use a bullet case saw off back one has a 1/2 in. wick the other 3/4 wick i pull it inside tube and its got a wood dowel to keep from falling out not very good picture if need a better one p. m. me

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Love the idea of the dowel oops! - might have to give that one a try.... I'm always worried that the wick will get pulled completely out if I make it too loose but there is a fine line between being 'safe' and being easy to use and this is probably the answer!

:You_Rock_

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
Found this thread while browsing through my 'continuing education' here :)

It reminded me of something I bought back in 1986 in Kuwait which I finally dug out and took some pics of. At the time, these were common and could be bought in small sizes (about the width of a cigarette) as well as the larger one I bought which were used to light the communal 'hubble pipes'

It works on the same principle, but I thought it was an interesting variation and worth sharing.

So this is the 'firething'

As you can see there is plenty of 'wick' which has been tied back on itself to shorten the dangle length - there's plenty here and it will last a long time.

closed.jpg

This shows the mechanism in more detail. The flint wheel on the side takes a standard lighter flint and the snuffer lid is attached to the outer webbing by a simple hook. This outer webbing seems to be heat resistant and you need to trim it back from time to time.

open-lid-mech.jpg

And again from the side. The wick slides fairly freely in the metal chamber so you just pull it down to bring the lid closed. This starves it of oxygen and extinguishes the glow.
open.jpg

I found it really hard to get a good photo of this glowing, but once the spark has landed on the wick (one or two strikes usually) you simply blow to get it glowing. The windier it is out the easier it is to make fire! This photo doesn't really show just how much heat you can get but it sort of shows the glow...

lit.jpg

That's all really - thought I'd share and hope someone found it interesting. If nothing else it will have bumped what I thought was a great thread :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE