Charred Cloth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
jakunen said:
Anyone ever tried making it with cotton wool???

Did think about it but haven't gotten around to it yet ... I would imagine it's going to be spectacular or just burn in the tin.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I had similar problem with poorly combusting cotton wool, It was the coloured balls, did burn when fluffed up, but it was harder to light than the usual white stuff. That'll teach me not to raid my daughters cosmetic bag! :oops:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
HAH! All that glitters is not gold and all cotton wools are not cotton!

Yep believe it or not some cotton wools are synthetic (not sure what they are made of mind you) - especially cosmetic ones which are designed not to PILE when used to put on/take off make up ect.

Your best bet is to stick with Tampons - after all millions have been spent designing and researching these and thus far cotton is still the best absorbsion material available so they are good for first aid as well as fire lighting.

Just remember to remove them from your nose once the bleeding stops or when your in public!

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
A lot of cotton wool on the market isn't cotton but a fluffy polyester. Check the pack ... 100% cotton wool should be cotton but watch out for generic labelling.

jakunen

Native
Gary said:
Your best bet is to stick with Tampons - after all millions have been spent designing and researching these and thus far cotton is still the best absorbsion material available so they are good for first aid as well as fire lighting.

Just remember to remove them from your nose once the bleeding stops or when your in public!
:lol:
Excuse me sir, is that a mouse up yer nostril?
No Officer. It's a tampon...
:rolmao:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I ended up with some charred cloth setting fire whilst I was making it, not quite sure what happened but i got a very long jet of flame (2.5 ft), has anyone else had this happen. I tried with a bit of cottn wool but it just broke up and didn't work at all.
what happens if you put PP on cotton wool the ste fire to it?

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
Cotton Wool is good in fairly calm conditions as it gives a big flame quickly, to make it last longer apply a bit of vaseline (petroleum jelly) as this gives a considerably longer burn time. For charcloth I use old gash canvas (retired 1950's army tents who have finally died...) which I have access to a near endless supply. This I prepare in an upturned A10 size tin with a marlin spike hole punched in the base, an a saturday nights camping I put it upside down next to the growing fire and build up around it. This I leave overnight- in the morning it's cooled down an is great stuff- as its so thich and tough to start with it is still stong enough to fold and carry in a plastic bag for weeks at a time.

If you allow any oxygen (air) into the can before it is fully cooled the charcloth will instantly burn (as some of you found out!). With lighter cloths you will probably need to remove the can sooner(make sure no air gets in though!) and always pack the cloth tightly (again to minimize air available for combustion). Charcoal can also be made in the same manner, but the bigger tins are better as you will of course need larger quantities.

Hope this helps, Blue Sky!
Jim. :bu:

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Just got a pressie from our roller towel supplier, two old roller towels, 100% cotton, must be 20-30 yards worth in each towel. I asked him last week if they had any old ones they would no longer use and he said no problem we only chuck them away.Any one who needs material for making char cloth and you have a rollertowel supplier at work, just ask.

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
Just browsing this forum and had a thought, I use thick canvas to make my char cloth- it takes a spark extremely well and and I can light a fire very quickly in all weathers with this stuff. If anone fancies giving it a go I'm off to a work camp on friday and can pick up a load of the raw canvas there should be a large quantity available (but limited as I'm travelling to and from by foot, boat and train). I'll pick up as much as I can and will happily send quantities if people will pay for p+p (depending on quantity obviously!). Please let me know if this interests anyone. :feedback:

Blue Sky, Jim.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE