Charred Cloth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Ive recently been experimenting with different types of 100% cotton cloth to catch sparks. Not to scientific standards though. :-?

I found that there were tremendous differences between the cloths. The worst I used was a cotton dress shirt which was thin but good quality cotton. It would catch a spark but was irregular and not reliable. :-(

The best was a cotton tea towel. It seems that the more fibrous the cotton the better. It is regular as clock work. :-D

Another tip is that when you make your charred cloth don't cut and throw the brown patches away. When you have made your ember you can wrap the brown cloth around this giving you a bigger and hotter ember.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Fluffy towels work well I used one of these (an old army one pre-charred) for fire lighting scene the king Arthur programme.

Another good material is Yellow duster.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
The best was a cotton tea towel. It seems that the more fibrous the cotton the better
Yes, I found that too.... Thick fibres like towels and terry nappies work a treat. Cotton t-shirts work fine (its what I normally use) they do the job, but very thin cotton shirts make very delicate char which easily breaks apart if over cooked.

:)
Ed

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Another thing I fine is cheap cotton works better - hence the tea towels and dusters and I suspect this is due to the loosness of the fibres in the weave.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Three things I've learnt about making charcloth:
  • Tablecloths make good charcloth
    Don't use cotton that's been flame-proofed (kids clothing has usually has a fire retardant finish)
    Don't use tablecloths :oops:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Stew said:
Anyone got any scraps of Ventile to try out?
Silk's what you want to try!
Is that Kath's sleeping bag liner I can see over there!

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
:rolmao: lol, I think those castrations rings for the tracking stick that kath wants is going to get a more formal use..... :shock:

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Adi007 said:
Three things I've learnt about making charcloth:
  • Tablecloths make good charcloth
    Don't use cotton that's been flame-proofed (kids clothing has usually has a fire retardant finish)
    Don't use tablecloths :oops:

:rolmao: It the doghouse again Adi ?? ROTFL !!

I think the quote is "Don't use Kath's Best linen tablecloths......hahaha
(although that charcloth you had at the NEC worked great...Was that the tablecloth in question?)

S

Strider

I just made a batch a couple hours ago in the garden. It wourked alright, ive made char-cloth a couple of times, and never had failure... however the stuff I just made(and tested) takes a spark and embers, with encouragement, but it just dusn't seem great.
My question is, in your more extensive experiences, is it beter to 'cook' it for aeges, or to leave it so that there is still something left in it to burn??
Cheers,
Lawrence.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I cook it until the gas given off starts to ease off ... any more and I find that it it is harder to light too! I did some a while back that I used to take pictures of the process and baked it too much and it wasn't as good as usual.

S

Strider

Cheers Adi,
thats what i was thinking, that I'd burn't everything out of it.
Live and Learn... :-D

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Adi007 said:
Anyone know if an Arktis smock makes good charcloth? :p :twisted:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Kath said:
Adi007 said:
Anyone know if an Arktis smock makes good charcloth? :p :twisted:
Nope ... it's a 50/50 polycotton which means it has a lot of polyester in it that will look like a melted carrier bag when charred ... :-D

Whatever you use needs to be 100% cotton (or silk :wink: ).

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
jakunen said:
Why can I hear the sounds of someone digging their way to Oz? :-D
BTW Adi, what's Kath thinking of cooking for YOUR birthday??? :twisted:
I don't know - I haven't thought about it yet. But you can bet your boots the table will be beautifully laid with ... charcloth! :lol:

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
The best charcloth I've made was with a roll on the white cotton car polishing cloth you get in Halfords.
It takes a spark like nothing else.

Matt

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
qweeg500 said:
The best charcloth I've made was with a roll on the white cotton car polishing cloth you get in Halfords.
It takes a spark like nothing else.

Matt
Thanks for that info Matt! :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE